The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Saw him at Westcliff station once!

Dave.

The restaurant we went to for Matthew's birthday on Friday was in Westcliff. When I lived in Westcliff in the mid 1970s I was convinced that I was the only person under 90 living there. Hamlet Court Road now seems to be full of bars and restaurants.

My Aunt had a huge place in Genesta (Sp.?) Road, Westcliff. Everyone had an Aunt in Westcliff!

She lived around the corner from Trevor Bailey - he suited the area.

I think that all the big old houses are now split into multiple units. When my cousin sold his Mum's place he bought an unbelievable top floor apartment in Leigh overlooking the Estuary, great views. Pubs are better too.

Best, Pete.

Guest Max Stafford

Got a bit naughty in Hamlet Court Rd this afternoon, according to the Echo! http://www.echo-news...stcliff/?ref=mr

Still, there was casual thuggery like that there when I was about too - no connection, I'll stress!

Used to go to a wee Greek spot there with some work buddies on occasional nights out - the name escapes me now but my chief memory of that time is the christmas night out in 1995 where one of our WPCs got so hammered she decided to jump up and dance on the table to a Zorba-esque tune. Needless to say, the combination of industrial quantities of wine and 5" heels ensured it didn't end in a pretty way!

Leigh's nice Pete. Used to share a house on Nelson Road and the High Street was good too.

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

. Needless to say, the combination of industrial quantities of wine and 5" heels ensured it didn't end in a pretty way!

Dave.

Do you have photos?

Did you see the headline: "Somali Drug Gang Dealing in Southchurch Park"?

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

I think that all the big old houses are now split into multiple units. When my cousin sold his Mum's place he bought an unbelievable top floor apartment in Leigh overlooking the Estuary, great views. Pubs are better too.

Best, Pete.

We used to go to Leigh frequently when Matthew was little. It was a nice place to take a small child for a walk. We very much got out of the habit of "going out". I was ill, Aditi was studying etc. I think we may be up for the occasional visit to Leigh again soon.

• RMweb Gold

Got a bit naughty in Hamlet Court Rd this afternoon, according to the Echo! http://www.echo-news...stcliff/?ref=mr

Still, there was casual thuggery like that there when I was about too - no connection, I'll stress!

By the time we got there on Friday evening there was no sign of anything having happened!

When I first lived in Westcliff the main thuggery was supposed to be due to the skinhead gangs coming down at the weekend. This sort of died out when the police started informing them their boots were offensive and they could either leave them at the station or go back to wherever (Brentwood probably!) they had come from.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Never really took to Cockles and Mussels strangely but the beer in The Peter Boat used to be nice!

I see the old Flower Class Corvette Bembridge has gone, replaced by a 1970-era minesweeper. A search for the missing vessel found this bit of good news about it.

http://www.southends...ridge_/?ref=rss

I recognised the lines of the ship straight away, being obsessed with the Battle of the Atlantic when I was about ten and thought it would be nice to see her restored.

Edit - another search finds this!

http://www.bembridge.pl/cms.php?pid=276

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

Distant memories of the Sunday School outings to Chalkwell.

Being too young for anything interesting, we used to head for the nearest Amusement Arcade.

Do I remember correctly that the station was Chalkwell?

Faint memories of the Kursal (sp?) with a Big (well, medium sized) Dipper.

... and as a toddler Peter Pan's Playground but I think I was chained to my blind Great Grandmother's Wheelchair then.

Thanks for the memories.

Didn't see any lions then, though.

• RMweb Gold

Chalkwell Station is the one in-between Leigh on Sea and Westcliff. We used to go to Chalkwell Park so Matthew could ride his tricycle. We got told off by a jobsworth park keeper once for disobeying the no cycling sign! Blackwells model railway shop was near the entrance, Matthew's Hornby Thomas the Tank Engine came from there!

Peter Pan's playground was re-named a few years ago (Adventure Island I think). I haven't been there but Matthew was frequently taken there once he could walk by his nanny (not the granny variety).

The Kursaal does still exist but probably looks different now.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Unusual for me to be first on parade. I have to feed horses and cats, then drive to Le Mans for the 0759 TGV to Paris. Then 0946 TGV Gare du Nord to Calais Frethun, where Deb should meet me about 11.30. Then drive 250 miles home again!

Have a good day, all!

• Like 4

Morning All,

We had a lovely sunrise this morning, but I am somewhat annoyed at having been outbid on eBay by 50 cents.

I now know why it is that I so rarely use eBay!

Have a good day everyone...

hello all,

Sun is just rising in a clear sky and tipping the top of the mountain a sort of orangy pink. Beautiful! And promising a lovely day but temp only expected to peak at 19C

Have a good one.

I hope Deb is feeling better when you meet up Ian.

Good Morning all, belated birthday greetings Don . Keeping my fingers crossed for Ian & Deb too.

For me, one week today & I'm outa here! Going on an adventure, years (nay decades) ago I was a volunteer on the Festiniog Railway. One of the tasks I did was to help refurbish one of the station waiting rooms.....there was a poster on the wall (dating from the 1920's) saying "......................

More tomorrow.

Enjoy the day!

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Probably too late to wish you a safe journey Ian.

Like the others I'm hoping that Deb is just suffering from travel fatigue and that a few days rest and TLC will sort it out.

• Like 1

All the best to you both today, Ian. Must be Tuesday, the bin man hath bin....

Still beavering away on pointwork. It's like that, do nothing for months and then it grabs you. I can cope with four a day, with the fourth one taking 50% longer than the first..

Had the iPod going in the background and suddenly enjoyed ELO again. Heard one track where the bass/backing has clearly been nicked for a later disco track, but right now I'm blowed if I can remember where it reappeared. It will come to me....