The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I have a similar problem with magazines too. Years of Railway Modellers, Model Rail, Hormby magazine, some BRMs, MRJs, Rail Expresses, plus many years of Doctor Who Magazines as my other big interest.

Have thrown out a load of photographic magazines recently as they were all from pre- or peri-digital age, but can't bear the thought of parting with the railway ones yet. I'd be happy to have them if I could have them complete on DVD but scanning them in would be a mammoth task and one which I would go nuts doing after about 2 issues...

• RMweb Gold

For those disposing (or fighting not to dispose of ) their magazines, would a local model club or library archive be an alternative to recycling ?

That way at least they would be there for both others to read and for you yourself should the need arise.

• RMweb Gold

I cancelled my previous message as I got confirmation from the BBC about that murderous sod and his light sentence in Norway. What a joke! He'll probably walk in 7 years...

Best, Pete.

From the BBC : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19365616

"He was convicted of terrorism and premeditated murder, and given the maximum sentence of 21 years' imprisonment.

However, that can be prolonged at a later date if he is deemed to remain a danger to society.

Delivering the verdict, Judge Wenche Elisabeth Arntzen imposed a sentence of "preventive detention," a special prison term for criminals considered dangerous to society.

She set the minimum length of imprisonment to 10 years."

• RMweb Gold

A while ago I decided to dissect magazines keeping, filing and indexing only the articles, photographs and diagrams I thought would be of future use.

I didn't get very far.

• RMweb Gold

A while ago I decided to dissect magazines keeping, filing and indexing only the articles, photographs and diagrams I thought would be of future use.

I didn't get very far.

At the club last year I was presented with a big pile of Continental Modellers that had all the American articles removed.

Tony

For those disposing (or fighting not to dispose of ) their magazines, would a local model club or library archive be an alternative to recycling ?

That way at least they would be there for both others to read and for you yourself should the need arise.

Just in case you missed it Stubby, mine have all gone to Loddon Vale MRC.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Well, it didn't rain, well not that much anyway....

Took puppykins to Skipton as I fancied a couple of Drake & Macefield pies, and a dog walk seemed like a good excuse. She's totally exhausted now, after the drive and walk.

This drivel discussion page is getting ridiculous now - wading through three pages from yesterday morning when it used to be just one. Takes a lot of valuable time that could be used in some other meaningful pastime like watching the TV - or perhaps not....

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Took puppykins to Skipton as I fancied a couple of Drake & Macefield pies, and a dog walk seemed like a good excuse. She's totally exhausted now, after the drive and walk.

When we first had Robbie we got the book that the vet recommended and it mentioned something about puppies getting tired and limiting their exercise. It also mentioned that they slept 18 hours a day. Robbie clearly never read the book. When he went from puppy food to the "young adult" variety I thought he was even more manic! He settled(relatively in cocker spaniel behaviour) down on the normal adult food. He is very good but he is always ready for more exercise. I'm not, so I have cunning strategies in the park. I just walk a short distance but change direction. He immediately runs quickly to be a 100yards ahead of my new bearing. He must run miles to my yards!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3

Guest Max Stafford

You miss a lot in a couple of days here. I've been trying to limit my time on the computer as it's been eating far too much into other stuff. Yesterday I had a run up to Whitrope, calling in to visit Mac in The Holm on the way. Been making progress with the V2. Mike, I've undertaken a few cosmetic improvements, replacing both chimney and dome and fitting a better smokebox door. I've also added A4-style drain cocks and home-brewed oil boxes under the smokebox. I'm busy with the airbrush just now, making the model into a rather tired-looking 60970 circa 1965. Her appearance belies the performances she was putting in at the time. I based her appearance on a photo taken at Whitrope the day The Beatles were recording Day Tripper - not at Whitrope, I would stress!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

A day of some progress (and some non-progress, sorry DD but the fight through the pestival crowds somewhat sapped my strength let alone willpower by the time we'd got home). Anyway the holiday essentials were secured - a polarising filter for the 'usual' lens (which is a power zoom 16-50), a 4GB memory card to go with the spare 2GB card already to a hand, a reasonably priced (150 quid) 70-300 zoom lens which clearly has better optics than my 10 year old lightweight 200 lens, and a pair of lightish binoculars (but on getting home I found I had the wrong ones so they're going back tomorrow to be exchanged for the right ones - fortunately by the time I'm aboard the train most of the pestival goers will be on the site, I hope.

As far as non-essential shopping goes herself couldn't find any garments she liked let alone any she liked enough to buy and I couldn't find a decent wind/waterproof jacket so I'm hoping TH won't mind too much if I wear a bright orange one with the words 'safety officer', along with references to the railway industry, tastefully printed on it (in far from big letters).

Guest Max Stafford

Here's a low-quality preview of the more-or-less finished 'Day Tripper' V2 guys. I'll put something more appropriate up in the blog in due course. I did warn you it was a tired looking loco though!

Dave.

post-6676-0-64291500-1345848284_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

That's a cracking looking loco, Dave.

Strange mist rolling around this morning.

Dank is the term.

Summer is shot at and Autumn is closing in.

Just need some mellow fruitfulness before settling down to wait for Spring.

• Like 1

Beautiful work Dave. Once I get ET up and running I can see some commissions coming your way. I know, you may not live that long.... :rolleyes:

Still dark outside, so no idea what the weather holds in store. Magazines all gone....Scary!

Got an invite for a wedding up your way DD. Bodygallens Hall near Llandudno? Ever been there?

Edited by gordon s

No, Gordon, never had occasion to visit.

It's a National Trust property - great looking place - take camera.

If you get a clear day you should be able to get great pictures of Conway Castle (my favourite castle).

Used to have an indoor swimming pool but I don't know what changes NT have made since their takeover.

Will cost a fortune to get married there I would think.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Started to feel yuck around dinnertime and thought it was probably a migraine approaching. Taking some ibuprofen seems to have prevented the worst, but felt wibbly and wrung out for the rest of the evening regardless, and eventually went to bed early. I'm sure this had to do with the weather having turned windy and rainy beginning last afternoon.

On the plus side, I slept fairly well, and will now see to taking things slowly for today. I also expect to get done with my second paper next week.

No, Gordon, never had occasion to visit.

It's a National Trust property - great looking place - take camera.

If you get a clear day you should be able to get great pictures of Conway Castle (my favourite castle).

Used to have an indoor swimming pool but I don't know what changes NT have made since their takeover.

Will cost a fortune to get married there I would think.

Not my shout this time, so I'll enjoy it...

Looked a pretty place on their website. Trip Advisor will be the next port of call...

Morning all. Off on my annual jaunt to Sidup and the Landy's MoT. It turns 10 next week. I've had it for 7 1/2 years. Longest I've ever owned a vehicle but the one with the lowest mileage. Only put a shade over 50k on the clock. Back in Canada we'd have racked that up in about 9 months. Adding up all my previous ones I'm closing in on 2million km.

Best one: the Landy. Worst: 84 Mercury Topaz.