The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I knew I'd get smart remarks! ;)

We did a circular route last night, twice round Arthur's Seat and then a lap of Duddingston Loch. Looking up my symptoms, I would appear to have Runner's Knee (sounds logical), and the best cure is rest, stretching and pain killers / anti-inflammatories. I guess 2 out of 3 is going to be possible. I'll give this Thursday's run a miss, let it rest from running now until next Monday.

Not long to go now, only 3 1/2 weeks until the Great North Run. Then 3 weeks break and a 10K race in Edinburgh which should be a doddle in comparison.

Dave - what are you doing to the V2? Replacement chimney etc? I'd be interested to see photos etc...

"The wife and I took the dog for a walk at 9:30pm yesterday, it was delightful..."

What breed is your delightful dog, Pete?

West Highland Terrier. She's a menace! The weather was delightful. Do I get a minus House point then?

She's very good with other dogs, though.....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have just been for a walk. I love walking, whether it be a leafy lane, a high fell or a deserted beach. You can truly appreciate the wonder of nature, relax and contemplate the meaning of life and other important questions such as 'why are dog owners fined if they don't scoop their poop yet horses are allowed to leave chuffin great mountains with impunity?'

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have just been for a walk. I love walking, whether it be a leafy lane, a high fell or a deserted beach. You can truly appreciate the wonder of nature, relax and contemplate the meaning of life and other important questions such as 'why are dog owners fined if they don't scoop their poop yet horses are allowed to leave chuffin great mountains with impunity?'

At least with a nice 'horsey trotter' it's big enough to see so you don't end up spreading it all over the sole of your new trainer!

If unfortunately, you step in a 'trotter' it's a lot easier to clean off, and a damn sight less smelly!

Regards

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Finally got here but that's after getting the cat combed, Tesco-ing for the 'paper and shopping, rose cutting-back before the composting bin is emptied today, tea made, brunch sarnies eaten but vacuuming still do to when daughter wakes up (she was off to work at 05.45 so straight to bed when she got home.

More excitingly the voyage booking confirmed by email and starting on a shopping list for the trip - so need a polarising filter for shots over sea, an extra memory card, wondering about a decent long lens but what good is it on a moving ship?, possibly a spare camera battery for the Pentax and a new set of rechargeables for the Fuji, wondering about map type thingies? (oh and a new pair of trousers came yesterday so that's the clothing element sorted for me). Wonder if it would be a good idea to save on the mini-bar and take a bottle of Glemorangie out of home stock?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Turning out to be nice and sunny over here, and due to a pleasant breeze it's not as oppressively hot as it had been this past weekend. We'll be to the movies later today.

I now also have a few coaches to fit detailing parts to, but I think I'll save that for tomorrow after continuing with my paper.

• RMweb Premium

'why are dog owners fined if they don't scoop their poop yet horses are allowed to leave chuffin great mountains with impunity?'

Apparantly because horses are vegitarian their output is bio-degradable and not a health hazard , still does'nt

look very prety though .

• RMweb Gold

Apparantly because horses are vegitarian their output is bio-degradable and not a health hazard , still does'nt

look very prety though .

Cows eat the same sort of diet - and their output is extremely unpleasant! In my yoof, if we went for a walk my keen-gardener father would carry a bag and trowel and take any horse-manure home for the plants. It did need to rot for a few years first, mind. It also made us less than truly popular if we returned home by bus!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More excitingly the voyage booking confirmed by email and starting on a shopping list for the trip - so need a polarising filter for shots over sea, an extra memory card, wondering about a decent long lens but what good is it on a moving ship?,

Some zoom lenses, and maybe longer fixed-lengths, have an anti-shake mode that is designed to be used when you are moving, as distinct from standing on terra firma. Check what is available to fit your brand of body (the camera, that is).That said, the nature of a ship's motion is relatively gentle, so I'm not sure the camera will even know you aren't standing still - unless you're in a Force 9!

• RMweb Gold

Some zoom lenses, and maybe longer fixed-lengths, have an anti-shake mode that is designed to be used when you are moving, as distinct from standing on terra firma. Check what is available to fit your brand of body (the camera, that is).That said, the nature of a ship's motion is relatively gentle, so I'm not sure the camera will even know you aren't standing still - unless you're in a Force 9!

Thanks Ian - the camera currently sits with a 16-50 stabilised power zoom with a common maximum aperture at all focal lengths. The 'long' equivalent is heavy in just about every respect, including the price, although it is a superb lens so I might be tempted or look for a suitable 150 - 200ish fixed length one.

• RMweb Gold

More excitingly the voyage booking confirmed by email and starting on a shopping list for the trip - so need a polarising filter for shots over sea, an extra memory card, wondering about a decent long lens but what good is it on a moving ship?, possibly a spare camera battery for the Pentax and a new set of rechargeables for the Fuji, wondering about map type thingies? (oh and a new pair of trousers came yesterday so that's the clothing element sorted for me). Wonder if it would be a good idea to save on the mini-bar and take a bottle of Glemorangie out of home stock?

Perhaps the website has a list of mini bar prices. Before we went on cruise I had a look at the ship's website and noted that drinks were priced similarly to a pub and that restaurant wine wasn't subject to the mark up usually found in onshore caffs.

I did take a spare battery for my camera and a charger, the ship had 13 amp sockets, perhaps your vessel will. I did take a spare memory card but needn't have bothered the 32Gb one still has lots of space. I was impressed at how the camera could cope with extreme zoom and no tripod. I did rest it on Aditi's head a couple of times. The only bumpy sea we had was while returning to the ship by tender (ship's lifeboat) at Split and the photos I took were only meant to be holiday snaps so I have really looked at how focussed etc they are!

Our cabin had an atlas but the ships position was always available on the TV system.

Are you taking binoculars? Our cabin had some but they were rubbish! The pocket sized ones we have were much better.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I looked in vain for my yesterday's post, but it appears to have vanished. It was just to say that I'd nothing to say anyway.

Met office forecast for this morning was for light white cloud, so I set the alarm for early, as I wanted to watch The Fellsman depart (I've got the rest of the week off BTW), it was due away at 08.07, and I didn't need the alarm, as the noise of the rain on the dormer roof was enough to wake the dead - it was chucking it down. It seems that whatever forecast Lancaster gets at the moment, we wind up with chucking it down, except when we get a forecast of heavy rain, then we get a deluge such to make Noah proud.

The bad news was that as soon as I intimated that I wasn't going to get soaked to watch the train, 30747 handed me a huge list, and despatched me to Morrison's to buy little luxuries like food and soap powder, and stuff like that - nothing I wanted more than a visit to the supermarket instead of watching a K4 starting onto a 1 in 94 with twelve on and a wet rail. A lie in would have been nice, though.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the website has a list of mini bar prices. Before we went on cruise I had a look at the ship's website and noted that drinks were priced similarly to a pub and that restaurant wine wasn't subject to the mark up usually found in onshore caffs.

I did take a spare battery for my camera and a charger, the ship had 13 amp sockets, perhaps your vessel will. I did take a spare memory card but needn't have bothered the 32Gb one still has lots of space. I was impressed at how the camera could cope with extreme zoom and no tripod. I did rest it on Aditi's head a couple of times. The only bumpy sea we had was while returning to the ship by tender (ship's lifeboat) at Split and the photos I took were only meant to be holiday snaps so I have really looked at how focussed etc they are!

Our cabin had an atlas but the ships position was always available on the TV system.

Are you taking binoculars? Our cabin had some but they were rubbish! The pocket sized ones we have were much better.

Tony

Nothing about mini-bar prices etc on the website - all we know is that we get three meals a day (with, it seems, very ,limited menu choice). But definitely standard UK electricity sockets with a 220vac supply so no battery charging problems. We will of course be in a much smaller ship than the one you travelled in - only c250ft long x 40ft beam and only drawing about 13ft so probably a bit more lively than a large cruise ship.

Binoculars is an excellent idea and it will be interesting to see if they are supplied as they are included in one of the cabin views (some hope I bet :O ) and not sure about anything on the tv about position etc but as we can go up to the bridge whenever we like it should be easy enough to find where we are and where we're supposed to be going that day (and if we take a lap top we can quickly see exactly where we are and where we've been).

Cows eat the same sort of diet - and their output is extremely unpleasant! In my yoof, if we went for a walk my keen-gardener father would carry a bag and trowel and take any horse-manure home for the plants. It did need to rot for a few years first, mind. It also made us less than truly popular if we returned home by bus!

Interestingly, the `Orse isn`t considered (in the eyes of British law) to be 'livestock' at all.....for, in terms of DEFRA regulation and administration: 'equine' is an entirely separate affair from the domestically farmed, porcine, ovine and bovine species.

Perhaps the tolerance for horsey-mess is a regulatory left over from the days of the draft-horse?

Edited by Debs.

G'day all,

Finally got here but that's after getting the cat combed, Tesco-ing for the 'paper and shopping, rose cutting-back before the composting bin is emptied today, tea made, brunch sarnies eaten but vacuuming still do to when daughter wakes up (she was off to work at 05.45 so straight to bed when she got home.

I saw Patricia this morning on our 'walkies': she was in dock (N.Liverpool) collecting buoys; departing earlier this evening........she is a lovely vessel.

• RMweb Gold

... only c250ft long x 40ft beam and only drawing about 13ft so probably a bit more lively than a large cruise ship.

I was quite impressed at the stability when announcements from the bridge about whale sightings caused lots of passengers to move over to one side. Though it really was a very large ship so I suppose it wasn't that much really.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Quite a bit cooler outside at just 14°C, so I'll again use the opportunity for venting through the flat. There still appears to be quite a bit of thermal energy held inside the structure, to put it like they might have done in Star Trek :rofl: .

We watched "Ted" last night, which certainly had its share of both funny and sad moments - to my taste at least. Today, though, I'll be back at my paper - yuck.

Have a good one, everyone...

Good morning all,

Had a fair bit of rain yesterday afternoon............which always adds to the challenge of driving here! You never know how deep the next pot hole you come to is going to be....still the rain does lay the dust.

What ever you're up to try and enjoy,

Trev.