The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning all,

I was unavoidably absent yesterdaty. On Wednesday my Internet was switched to the Home's system (at half the monthly rate)

but due to some omission was left locked out of the system until an hour ago.

My TV has also switched to the Home's bouquet also at less than half my previous fee, though for considerably fewer channels.

I've almost run out of Brany (have finished off two of my reserve bottles and about to broach a 10 year old)and am waiting for Tim to renew my stocks. He now has almost permanent custody of my credit card!

By the way my new e-mail address is

donbradley@broadwalk-mews.co.za

I must still change it everywhere else!

For Dd my new postal address is Brown and Annie Lawerence Home, 7 Broadwalk, Pinelands, 7405, South Africa

After three days of pretty constant rain, it is now half thick white cloud and half blue sky. No rain expected today or tomorrow.

Morning all!

Off to visit a "retirement village" today. One of my friends was telling me last night that her great aunt used to live in that village and that it was so nice that I'd be signing up. Wasn't sure how offended to feel, I'm only 35 and only 5 years older than her! Cheeky girl!

Weather report: wet, humid and pretty unpleasant in Edinburgh today.

• RMweb Gold

Off to visit a "retirement village" today. One of my friends was telling me last night that her great aunt used to live in that village and that it was so nice that I'd be signing up. Wasn't sure how offended to feel, I'm only 35 and only 5 years older than her! Cheeky girl!

She may have a point. Retirement didn't come a day too soon for some of us, so make your £million soonest and then put your feet up!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

well the rain didn't arrive this morning but it's still a cloudy sky and that will no doubt intervene when we're off to Waitrose (if we can get into the car park!). Has Don posted his address in expectation of our all shipping supplies of his favourite tipple I wonder - now as it happens Don I really do have a bottle of that to spare but how do we get it to you?

And please to see from another thread that the forum seems to have re-ignited some of Gordon's modelling mojo even if only in the planning stages - could get very interesting as he begins to relish the challenge of building it (once the plan is finalised of course).

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, going to a wedding today just attending is stressing me out.....

I'm with you. While they're generally more fun than funerals, I do regard them as the most extreme example of conspicuous consumption & probably the biggest waste of money known to man. I think much more than a decade ago the average UK wedding cost more than £10k - how many newly-weds wouldn't be better off with that sum in the bank?

(Married 38 years ago today and managed a fairly minimalist event despite a few family gatecrashers. No wedding list or anything of that sort. Regular readers will not be amazed that the bride's mother wasn't there!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

My earlier post got lost in cyberspace somewhere, not an Rmweb problem just something to do with other updates.

Dull but warm here.

Our visitors go home after lunch and then I'll be off to the bank with Matthew. He is going to add me to his bank accounts so I can do things for him while he is in Canada.

I know that cockerpoos have become very popular round here. I think the idea was to produce a dog that had all the cocker spaniel traits but without the industrial quantity hair shedding.

I did meet someone with a labradoodle that shed curly hair though. Some of the shih-tzu poodle crosses have names that the censor would probably object to.

Tony

Thanks Mike....It was a few free minutes, an interesting prototype and a blank Templot screen that started it all off. Strictly a paperwork exercise to be filed for a future date.

I found the discussion that followed really interesting, particularly when talking to someone who clearly knew what they were talking about from years of experience. Really good stuff, Mike, so thanks very much.

Looked you up, Don. Give us a wave....

http://www.bing.com/maps/?PC=APP1&FORM=BSEMAP&q=7%20Broadwalk%2C%20Pinelands%2C%207405%2C%20South%20Africa

• RMweb Gold

I'm with you. While they're generally more fun than funerals, I do regard them as the most extreme example of conspicuous consumption & probably the biggest waste of money known to man. I think much more than a decade ago the average UK wedding cost more than £10k - how many newly-weds wouldn't be better off with that sum in the bank?

(Married 38 years ago today and managed a fairly minimalist event despite a few family gatecrashers. No wedding list or anything of that sort. Regular readers will not be amazed that the bride's mother wasn't there!)

Congrats Ian. I have a similar view on wedding costs - you should see (or probably shouldn't see) some of the over-lavish over consumption that seems o go with weddings at the hotel where we stay for the RMweb Stafford gig. We kept ours - 35 years ago - down a sensible minimum but in our case mum-in-law (as acquired on the day) did attend.

• RMweb Premium

I'm only 35 and only 5 years older than her! Cheeky girl!

I'm slowly beginning to show grey hair here and there, and I'm only turning 32 this year! SWMBO likes to rib me for that, but that's okay.

I'm with you Ian and congratulations on your anniversary. Ours was similar to yours. Married in Church and reception at home with friends and family mucking in with the catering. Whole thing was less than £3k. My only advice to would be to future 'father's of the bride' is to set your own contribution budget, tell them that's how much and anything over that is down to them. Smartest move we made, as the final cost was well over my figure, but that was their choice.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Not sure why but haven't been posting much on ERs of late though I have been watching and see the gang is all here.

Our neighbour has a cockerpoo and it's a nice enough dog though if anything a bit boring. Very soft and gentle but lacking a little something. We were dogsitting for 4 days last week and having two puppies was a tad frantic. They were running each other to a standstill. Normal service has now been resumed with only one (very) small mongrel puppy charging about the place.

Our kitchen floor looked something akin to the view from Mike's shed yesterday. A compression joint on the outside tap isolation valve had been quietly failing hidden nicely behind the sink. First sign of trouble was (nearly) all the kitchen unit kickboards starting to crack. Initially I thought it was over enthusiasm with the floor mop on the part of the cleaner but then this week they started splitting bit time. Found the leak on Wednesday by which time the flow was like an open tap. Water everywhere underneath the vinyl flooring. Insurance claim time and now the garage contains a collection of waterlogged chipboard and smelly floor coverings. SWMBO has been dispatched to collect a dehumidifier to try and dry things out. Yuk!

I'll leave her to the disaster for the weekend and go and play trains with Mr. H oop Narth. Well Derby way anyhow.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

She may have a point. Retirement didn't come a day too soon for some of us, so make your £million soonest and then put your feet up!

I wish! On civil service wages that could take longer than I have left to live. Better get the novel out that I started writing a month back and get on with it...

No wedding expense for me, SWMBO is not a fan of marriage, so at least I guess that saves on cost...

• RMweb Gold

Zooming out from that you can quite easily see how Don can see his mountains.

Edit: referring to Gordon's post on previous page. Half a page of posts in half an hour. Some sort of record?

Edited by BoD

I'm slowly beginning to show grey hair here and there, and I'm only turning 32 this year! SWMBO likes to rib me for that, but that's okay.

I'm starting to get a few through now (actually I got my first ones at 24, but have been carefully removing them ever since), and they're starting to reach the point where I'm fighting a losing battle pulling them out...

I'm starting to get a few through now (actually I got my first ones at 24, but have been carefully removing them ever since), and they're starting to reach the point where I'm fighting a losing battle pulling them out...

...by going bald?

Best, Pete.

(Full head of hair, mostly still black at 60)