The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, no sun this morning DD1 is slowly driving me insane not working on her resubmission stuff and it is silver wedding anniversary and SWMBO has not even mentioned anything about it. Off to get some flowers see if that brightens things up.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday to your MIL Ian.

My Godfather's Mother has lived to be an incredible age - From memory, she is now around 105.

A couple of years ago, she had to go into a home but there was considerable discussion from the authorities about whether she should go into a home, or be cared for by her "younger relatives".

My Godfather was somewhat amused by these suggestions, given that he himself is in his mid 80s!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy Birthday to your MIL Ian.

My Godfather's Mother has lived to be an incredible age - From memory, she is now around 105.

A couple of years ago, she had to go into a home but there was considerable discussion from the authorities about whether she should go into a home, or be cared for by her "younger relatives".

My Godfather was somewhat amused by these suggestions, given that he himself is in his mid 80s!

We are likely to be spared this, as we live abroad - and Deb needs a certain amount of care due to being disabled.

This was the final straw 6 months ago. Deb, being in England for a few days, had spent some time talking to MIL's optician about her failing eyesight, and the optician had urged MIL to be seen at St George's, Tooting. So Deb drove them across & they sat for several hours waiting to be seen. Eventually a consultant saw them, examined MIL and said that, as the optician had recommended, urgent action was needed to save and improve her sight. An injection was required, which MIL then declined. The fact that the consultant was not Caucasian was probably part of the reluctance, and Deb, having had ovarian cancer 6 months before and being a mite short on patience, was utterly disgusted, fed up with pandering to MIL's attention-seeking and getting nowhere. She left Wimbledon the next day and has declined to speak to MIL since. Families!

For the record MIL is in no way senile (a professional view), does have some memory loss (don't we all!) but is simply exhibiting the same lifelong personality traits that led to her divorce and estrangement from both daughters. Pah!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if there is a trend but my grandfather died at age 72, my father died at age 69. Grandfather would I suspect lived longer if he hadn't slashed his throat and thrown himself down the stairs.

My Mother in Law is quite robust but it does now take her longer to recover from falls. She is normally quite active and gets bored when immobilised. She has no loss of mental faculties at all though she sometimes interprets conversations strangely. I usually then suggest that she turns her hearing aid on.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO: Bring me a yoghurt please.

Me: What sort?

SWMBO: Any will do ...........

...... that's not the one I wanted.

I've given up even trying to understand.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if there is a trend but my grandfather died at age 72, my father died at age 69. Grandfather would I suspect lived longer if he hadn't slashed his throat and thrown himself down the stairs.

My Mother in Law is quite robust but it does now take her longer to recover from falls. She is normally quite active and gets bored when immobilised. She has no loss of mental faculties at all though she sometimes interprets conversations strangely. I usually then suggest that she turns her hearing aid on.

Tony

From a distance or by phone?

• RMweb Premium

Peace is restored small bunch of white roses and some white carnations, cards opened and small gift of silver choclates approved off. Card from old school friend contained £30 so meal out will now be upgraded. Despite not responding to offer of speed awareness course my deadline has been extended a week.....

• Like 2

Afternoon all. Late getting on today, due to exhaustion! Burning the candle at both ends leaves you burnt out.

10 mile run last night gave me very sore knees (I shall be going to the doctor if they've not improved after the Great North Run in 4 weeks' time - I have a suspicion there may be a lack of cartilage in them, and probably not helped by one of my knees being misaligned).

Decided to work from home for this afternoon and skip tonight's climbing as I'm feeling completely worn out. (Though I've now come into one of our other offices as I needed to send something from a real computer instead of a Blackberry).

I know what you mean about knees Mike had my left one cleaned out a couple of years ago and the surgeon told me when the right one gets bad we'll do that one.Well I think it needs doing.Thats the joy of being a TV engineer in another age!!.I wished I'd listened all those years ago.

Good day all. Another month's extension on the project that wouldn't die. :nono:

Track laying continues on Essex and wht weather is lissingdown at the moment. Just heading off to meet up with messers Roundhouse and Warbonnet to partake in the sampling of some finely crafted ales. :drink_mini:

• RMweb Premium

I just went outside the door and was almost literally struck by a gust of hot wind. Sky is beginning to cloud up, too, so let's see what might yet transpire on the meteo front. That being said, I am now about halfway through with the draft version of my second paper, which will be due by 1 October. The other three I'll yet have to write do not have a fixed deadline, thankfully.

We have relatives over in the U.S., one of them now being...what was it, 95 years old, I think. Last time I checked he was still doing some personal stock trading and was playing golf and tennis, though not as much of the latter as of the former. Actually, his family was hailing from around Naples, so I wonder if his Italian heritage may have to do with his age.

They say the "Mediterranean" diet (plenty of Olive Oil, Pasta etc.,) is one of the best for longevity - that's my excuse for marrying a southern Italian....

We're expecting severe storms today too (and yesterday but they kind of petered out crossing the Delaware River).

We'll see.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

They say the "Mediterranean" diet (plenty of Olive Oil, Pasta etc.,) is one of the best for longevity

Aside from that, it is really delicious! Now why do I have a longing for pasta with pesto or carbonara sauce...

Oh golly - weather forecast predicts up to 37°C on Sunday. Didn't I have a second ventilator stashed away somewhere...?

• RMweb Premium

Jeez! 37C! What's your nearest city, Dom? I'd like to look up your weather using the NWS of the USA.

That'd be Frankfurt am Main. Right now, clouds are slowly darkening, so let's see what tonight may yet bring, weather-wise.

I know what you mean about knees Mike had my left one cleaned out a couple of years ago and the surgeon told me when the right one gets bad we'll do that one.Well I think it needs doing.Thats the joy of being a TV engineer in another age!!.I wished I'd listened all those years ago.

That sounds worryingly painful. For someone who's never had an operation, I'm a bit squeamish about that sort of thing...

• RMweb Gold

That sounds worryingly painful. For someone who's never had an operation, I'm a bit squeamish about that sort of thing...

You'll cope when it happens - although I hope you have decades to wait! In 1992 I tripped over in the dark (sober!) and my knee became very swollen. Some hours later, in A&E, they diagnosed that I'd "marbled" my kneecap, smashed to pieces, which had held in place, and they'd need to keep me in. The medics know what they're doing, and it just washes over you, as you are grateful for their expertise.
  • Like 2

Dom, According to the NWS there's a large bank of clouds to the South West (edge over Wiesbaden) but they are suggesting plain old rain rather than any severe weather later.

Further they are saying it shouldn't get higher than 34C over the weekend but what is 3C between friends?

Good luck!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic