The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I'm already here! Enjoyed seeing two golds, four silvers and the cycling heats (where Varnish and Pemberton held the world record for precisely two minutes).

Though I've done a little bit of modelling today, gently getting my juices back. Can't say I did a lot, but I've put a couple of coats of Klear on 60155 and replaced the coal in the tender with some real hand (hammer) crushed coal as I found a lump in my jacket pocket from first-footing at New Year.

Or more precisely, I replaced the coal load with the crushed coal, glued it in place, left it to set for a while, moved the brush to clean it, heard a thump, found the tender on the carpet where it had rolled off the table and spilled its sticky coal everywhere, picked up the coal, put it back in the tender, hoovered up the mess, re-glued it and it's setting just now. :scratchhead:

Seem to have been squirrelled again...

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Been at an auction all day so somewhat late on parade. And alas when buying there was a strong dose of internet bidderitis pushing prices through the roof - hence a nice little lot of postcards I had my eye on because it included some excellent station views (including the best one I've ever seen of Chalford) went zooming past my limit of £200 and with me still daftly in the bidding up to 360 when I dropped out only to come back when the auctioneer said he was surprised I wasn't bidding, so i had a quick dib at £380 and then pulled clear leaving the online bidder paying 400 quid, I bet he'll cry when he opens his parcel and finds a hefty chunk of it is composed of 1950s coloured postcards aimed at the child market; oh dear these things can happen when you buy blind.

I got some such cards in a lot I did buy - but it also included an excellent selection of loco cards all taken at Westbourne Park shed and minimal competition for it, most of the other lots shot way past my limits. However DD will no doubt note that it hopefully bodes well for for certain lots going into the next auction.

This is Borderer 60155 after her coats of Klear and coal change. I've also glued together some of the bits of my stalled/unfinished 2011 challenge diorama (all's glued there apart from the trackbed and I think the next stage (after fitting some droppers) will be to put some plaster bandage over the framework and some filling material...

post-6964-0-89371300-1343932941_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Gordon & Mike. I was a bit worried the coal was looking overscale but it seems to look ok in the photos!

The woodwork isn't as nice as it appears in the photo. ;) I picked up a cheap lump of wood effect flooring which has been used for the landscape formers. It's well past the date for completion of the dioramas, but I'm quite keen to try to finish it now. Maybe the mojo's coming back a bit.

The bug's clearly bitten... Had some free time this evening, and nothing much was happening in the Olympics (other than the British women's beach volleyball team getting knocked out, though it was still worth watching ;) ) so decided to give my express blue Kingfisher 60024 a couple of coats of Klear too. The finish on it was so flat to start with, in sharp contrast to the painting on the box.

It's drying now, photos another day. Could probably do with another coat too first, and it needs the coal replacing too.

Edited by sixoh8sixoh

Morning all,

Glad to hear your modelling bugs returned Mike (I wish mine would!) Loco looks a cracker. Off shortly as another project I have been landed with is refurbishing a house for some more ex-pats.....(as if building power plants and distribution networks aint enough!) ........

Oh well guess it keeps me outa mischief?

Enjoy your day,

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Sunny and largely blue sky again, and the forecast's again been mentioning rain and thunder to possibly occur later on. However, nothing of this kind occurred yesterday. I'll need to phone my GP later on as I'm running out of antihistamines.

But in any case - enjoy your day, everyone...

Edited by 1216 025

Well, the conspiracy to thwart our medal winners isn't working very well.

In spite of awarding points for falling off equipment, disqualifying our lady bike riders for being too fast and using children with big feet in the swimming, yesterday was a good day for Team GB.

• Like 2

Morning All,

Another nice morning here - Yesterdays Thunderstorms didn't materialise.

I'm slightly later on parade this morning, as a result of cycling to work. It was certainly a nice morning for it.

Here are a couple of shots from my ride. Not the best quality unfortunately, I only had my phone camera!

IMG077.jpg

IMG078.jpg

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

the sun is shining through a hole in the clouds at the moment , no prediction for how long though ,

will spend some time in the shed later getting the turntable and approach tracks lined up , then it

will come back indoors and wait for drive gears to arrive , probably another couple of weeks as those

that I ordered are out of stock .

In the meantime it's off to the shop before the weather changes .

Enjoy your day .

Morning all. Thanks Trev!

Dry and sunny so far in Edinburgh, and warm again. After a day of barely moving yesterday from the couch, my legs were protesting on their walk up to work this morning.

Have a good Friday all! Somebody's put a 3-5 meeting in my calendar for this afternoon, how very dare they...!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

sun is currently battling against cloud and according the the necromancers in Exeter won't win until this evening (and herself reports from the kitchen that dark clouds are appearing in the west). I understand bacon sarnies may be expected from the catering dept shortly (much missed at the auction venue yesterday but fortunately I had a long enough gap between lots that interested me to get to the caff).

We seem to have to notch water leak in the next road up the hill with something akin to a minor steam flowing down the hill and flooding various garages as it goes, presumably it's 'low priority' job?

• RMweb Gold

Have a good Friday all! Somebody's put a 3-5 meeting in my calendar for this afternoon, how very dare they...!

Count yourself lucky - a chap I used to work with seemed to have a habit of arranging meetings timed like that; just about tolerable except on the occasions he held them in Paris or Brussels, grr.

Count yourself lucky - a chap I used to work with seemed to have a habit of arranging meetings timed like that; just about tolerable except on the occasions he held them in Paris or Brussels, grr.

I'd been fooled. When the email about the meeting referred to the August meeting, I'd assumed it would be in August. No, it's on September 3rd. Result!

• Like 1

Always stick something in your calendar on a Friday afternoon to prevent this from happening. I usually just update my Outlook with something vague like "Project review catchup" and mark myself as unavailable.

At least you dodged the bullet today. :sungum:

Could be worse, a colleague and myself once schlepped to Bahrain for a meeting with a client only to arrive and find they cancelled it 10 minutes after our flight departed Heathrow. One previous client used to have a standing meeting on Monday mornings. (in Brummieland no less) Half the time the project manager would forget to contact anyone when he cancelled at the last minute. It ended up costing them thousands as we billed my full day rate for the cancelled meeting as well as travel costs. (due to Virgin's Pendowobble overcrowding I always travelled first class with their blessing)

• RMweb Gold

Always stick something in your calendar on a Friday afternoon to prevent this from happening. I usually just update my Outlook with something vague like "Project review catchup" and mark myself as unavailable.

Friday afernoon was a good time to get out to a meeting - otherwise you'd be the only one left in the office, and when the crisis arrived you'd be awarded the OBE (Only Bu**er 'Ere). Crisis? Yes, the sudden discovery that this weekend's ginger-beer's works were at risk due to a shortage of drivers/guards/locos/handsignalmen etc, and something Needed To Be Done!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After all the c**p which happened during the past year, me and SWMBO have been planning to go on vacation this September when she'll have about three weeks off. We've been gravitating towards Denmark, so we eventually booked a house on the island of Rømø last night. I'm sure this will be a great place to relax...

Morning all.

Friday afternoon meetings, had my fill of those! Still yesterday got cancelled, the car broke! Fortunately before we got out of the car park.Gear shift cable decided that it was time to jam solid so we weren't going any where. Eventually got a mechanic to come and sort it, hopefully it'll be back by Tuesday..So day spent yesterday catching up on the paper work mountain these projects to generate.

Of into the bush this morning as the boss from the UK wants to inspect one of the projects!.

Enjoy your day

Trev