The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

There was an article on BBC news last week about pickpockets from Romania that are currently 'working' in Spain are planning on coming to London during the Olympics. They were showing how they some times work by hugging you or patting you on the back while another goes into your pockets

Morning All,

Another sunny day - I am still mildly annoyed over the fact that someone ran into the back of my Mini yesterday evening on the way home from work. There was no damage, but as far as this bloke was concerned he couldn't care less.

One the subject of scammers - like Dominik said, this seems indemic at stations. I had the same thing in Munich - the sob story was much the same, and when I offered to phone for her, she told me to do something anatomically impossible.

Place names always amuse - near to Bad Camberg are the charmingly named villages "Würgen" and "Brechen" - Retch and Vomit.. :sarcastic:

Have a good day everyone...

Morning all,

Bad day yesterday work & (mainly) car wise....why do those at the top seem to think that us lower mortals can work wonders?

What ever you're up to try and enjoy the day.

Trev

• RMweb Premium

Place names always amuse - near to Bad Camberg are the charmingly named villages "Würgen" and "Brechen" - Retch and Vomit.. :sarcastic:

I also am aware of several towns and villages which go by the name of "Einöd" - which in turn could be translated as "Desolation." I have no knowledge of how much of an indicator for the quality of living there this name may be, though.

And then there was this Bavarian town which is named "Arresting." I wonder if anyone may ever have left this place in their lifetime?

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I'm off to the station soon. Aditi has decided that it isn't worth driving into East Ham today. Preparation for some event in that part of the world is creating traffic chaos.

I think it might be quite warm again today.

Tony

A few moments of reflection this morning, for a heroine of mine has died: Sally Ride.........`first female U.S astronaut.

I was at university in California at the time, and watched (slack-jawed in amazement) the launch of that mission (STS-7) and of Dr. Ride`s calm-composure, confidence and professionalism.........several years later I was honoured to meet her; at a homebuilt aircraft fly-in in Nevada......She was everything I imagined (and more) sharing, skilled, intelligent, kind, charming and modest.

Yes I (like many women whom work/ed in the aviation industry) remain inspired; for, that was what she intended.

• Like 6

Morning all!

Grey but dry so far in Edinburgh. There was a tiny bit of red sky last night between the clouds, so I was hopeful of better this morning!

I remember going to Loch Lomond regularly (late fifties, early sixties) - is my mind playing tricks or was there a "Falls of Falloch" (Sp.?) close by to the actual loch?

Pete, you're right - it's at the very north of Loch Lomond, the River Falloch joins the head of the loch. And I see BoD's been there already today!

Have a good Tuesday, everyone. Soon be hump day.

A few moments of reflection this morning, for a heroine of mine has died: Sally Ride.........`first female U.S astronaut.

I was at university in California at the time, and watched (slack-jawed in amazement) the launch of that mission (STS-7) and of Dr. Ride`s calm-composure, confidence and professionalism.........several years later I was honoured to meet her; at a homebuilt aircraft fly-in in Nevada......She was everything I imagined (and more) sharing, skilled, intelligent, kind, charming and modest.

Yes I (like many women whom work/ed in the aviation industry) remain inspired; for, that was what she intended.

.... and continuing the "High Flying Ladies" theme - today would have been Amelia Earharts 115th birthday

• Like 1

Saddened to read of your problems in London, BoD. You did well as these girls are often set up as a distraction whilst others rifle through your bags. Put it all behind you and enjoy your trip.....

Another scorcher down south, so beanie hat will be the order of the day. Even the dog has sun block on his nose....

Pendon and Didcot Saturday, so a good weekend in store.

• RMweb Gold

It is so quiet here today, no playground sounds from the nearby school, the rumble of construction work from the A13 "improvements" has ceased and it even seems to warm for birdsong. Now that Southend airport has finally been extended we get a few EasyJet flights passing overhead but they are not exactly noisy.

Gordon, I shall check Robbie's nose but I'm sure he would just lick sun block off.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

more sunshine so no doubt further progress required on wood treatment on the porch - I think masking the glass yesterday took longer than sloshing on the Sadolin (and that's only one side out of four plus the gable at the front - but rain is promised for Friday and Saturday is Pendon, pub, and Didcot day so there will be some rest).

post-6859-0-89318400-1343119109_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Gordon, I just asked Mike about the ex.Taff Vale Railway...... We're doomed I tell you, it's insidious.

I like the look of your porch and house, Mike. My house is made of sticks like most US homes.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

I think another ER might be coming out with a similar comment before too long ;)

Me Sir , me , jumping up and down waving hands in the air . :danced:

And I have no problem with things of a green style as long as it's the right shade of green .

Okay , morning all , it's hot and sunny and getting hotter , I'm glad I've been out and done the jobs that

involved being outside .

Just been in the garden trying to spot the Spitfire thats warming up for it's turn at Weston Air Days , I can hear it

but I cant see it dammit .

Oh well , I better find something useful to do , enjoy the sunshine folks .

Just missed the midday deadline (again!) so a crafty and slightly embarrassed 'afternoon' to one and all ;)

A lovely day hereabouts, blue sky and much warmth everywhere - I nipped into the garden shed earlier toroot out some tools and could only stand a few seconds of the heat which had built up within. Luckily, the job we were doing was in the shade for the most part so it got done a little quicker than anticipated. The fake 'wishing wel'l than had been there since 1937 is now a pile of rubble!

Off down to Trent Valley Junction shortly to see Deltic D9009 drone by light engine on it's way to London for a tour out of The Cross tomorrow... armed with the small step ladder so I can grab a half decent shot over the 'orrible and all pervading palisade fencing that now resides alongside the WCML. How things have changed - when my Dad used to lean his bike against the original low wooden post fencing that stood there when he was a nipper, he could almost reach out and touch the Brits, Jubilees and Lizzies that passed by every few minutes!

BoD - sorry to hear of your woes, it may sound harsh but ignoring those who try it on is often the best way... or giving them a hard stare can make them think twice about doing you over. I've often been told that I look quite 'hard' on the outside which does have it's advantages, but then again I'm as soft as a bag of marshmellows on the inside and normally wouldn't say boo to a goose.

Edit : nearly forgot... there's a possibility I might find myself at Didcot on Saturday afternoon if I manage to get a few domestic jobs done in time - if so I'll keep an aye out for the Official RMWeb Travelling Concert Party!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll have to practise that hard look and stare……

Oh dear, a little girl and her puppy have just run away crying.……

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

What sun? - it's chucking it down here, but from the high ground, you can see the good weather about ten miles South.

BoD - I recall similar money grabbing when I lived in the capital. One such incident which I witnessed was a scruffy individual asking for £1.00 for a cup of tea - kindly passer by nipped into a local cafe and bought a cuppa for the guy, gave it to him, and got a mouthful of abuse for his trouble.

First day back at work, and a great start - all computer accesses revoked, no e-mail, no nothing, so spent the whole morning logged in on a colleague's machine using a dummy password, as (you've guessed it) all access requests are now handled via online requests and e-mails, not by a simple phone call - a typical catch 22 if ever I heard one.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

I'll have to practise that hard look and stare……

Oh dear, a little girl and her puppy have just run away crying.……

Hard looks and stares have to be used wisely, BoD. I used to use the NY Subway a lot and they say never look another passenger in the eye - I found I was left alone if I did the opposite but I added to the effect by muttering to myself in a barely audible Serbo-Croat...

Best, Pete.