The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Oh well , just missed the morning entry , so good afternoon .

Been doing 'stuff ' so it's not like I have been idle , thats for later .

Lovely sunny day today , but to many inside jobs need to doing to be able to enjoy it ,

I suppose there is always tomorrow .

Have a good one all .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

Evening all, just showered (using shower gel, do people still really use soap in the shower?)

have a good one

Yes because I do not get one with "Showergel". Which do you use and how do you apply it, Phil?

My Wife and Daughter use those "mesh balls" (don't know what else to call them) but I think they become infested with bacteria after a few days use....

I will try if you persuade me.......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Anyone which is 'buy one get one free' at Tesco!

I tried that once but the offer was for dog food.

Didn't half make a mess of the shower.

Late on parade again so a belated 'morning all'...

The weather is absolutely lovely here at the moment, I really ought to be outside enjoying it and doing something useful I suppose, but a recently consumed Sunday roast followed by chocolate pudding with lashings of custard has put paid to any strenuous activities for the foreseeable! Might get a spot of modelling done later though, thanks to being all fired up by the amazing progress of John E's 'Bradfield Glocester Sqaure' over in the layout section of the forum.... I think it's one of those layouts where even if you're not necessarily into the same location or period being modelled, the care and thought that's gone into it's construction and execution just shines through in every photograph.

Now then... where did I leave those maroon Mk1s and Ian Allan 'colour portfolio' books...? ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We had a lovely day visiting our new niece. She and her Mummy were allowed home today. We were expecting to only be able to visit from 3pm but had a nice phone call (we were partaking of luncheon in a pub) saying we could go straight to their house. Matthew was persuaded to hold his cousin, I think he was a bit worried about it but he did think she was a nice baby! She was the first baby he has ever held. I think he is happier with puppies and kittens though!

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was on Durham station today making some reservations when somebody put a tea bag in my mouth and poured water over it. I think they were trying to make a mug of me.

Off on my rovings tomorrow.

Planned itinerary:

Monday - to London via i haven't decided yet. Overnight sleeper to Fort Bill (William)

Tuesday - pottering on West Highland Line

Wednesday - Glasgow to Inverness/Kyle

Thursday -Far North to Wick and Thurso

Friday - Home via Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

Next weekend - local(ish) trips

Following week - Lowestoft. Penzance and Wales.

Will try to report in occasionally WiFi permitting.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I was on Durham station today making some reservations when somebody put a tea bag in my mouth and poured water over it. I think they were trying to make a mug of me.

Off on my rovings tomorrow.

Planned itinerary:

Monday - to London via i haven't decided yet. Overnight sleeper to Fort Bill (William)

Tuesday - pottering on West Highland Line

Wednesday - Glasgow to Inverness/Kyle

Thursday -Far North to Wick and Thurso

Friday - Home via Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

Next weekend - local(ish) trips

Following week - Lowestoft. Penzance and Wales.

Will try to report in occasionally WiFi permitting.

Hope you enjoy it. I wonder if you can still do the circular Highland trip - out KX (well Euston nowadays of course, silly me) to Fort Wliiam, then Mallaig; take the connecting boat up to Kyle and then Kyle to Inverness. At this time of year it was still daylight on arrival in Inverness - only problem I had was finding somewhere to stay as I hadn't booked in advance. Next day was Inverness - Aberdeen & back and then it was back to London (it really was Euston on this one) from Inverness - including an unplanned diversion over the S&C enroute and 90 minute late arrival in Euston.

Great trip and just the time of year to be up there so you'll enjoy it.

Morning all, yet another week begins! BoD enjoy your trip.......try not to nod off during the interesting bits & don't forget some pics for us please. Glad little ones OK Tony,

I see from the forecast that summer might actually arrive in the UK this week, with 31c promised for Wednesday...........enjoy it if you can!

Trev.

Morning all sunny but rather breezy here in North Wales.I had a wander onto the Prom (Old Colwyn) yesterday evening.

Knowing that the North Wales Coast Express was due through.All I knew that there was a choice of four engines and I was hoping for?.

If You don't know the North Wales coast line the view down across Colwyn Bay is rather nice.

Being a lovely still evening you picked up that distant sound, thinking come on come on which loco is it. Heartbeat increasing.

Then that sound that far off noise then YES!! a chime whistle. Across the bay a glimpse of smoke the sound getting louder there it goes again chime whistle blowing. A slight glimpse and she dives through Colwyn Bay station.Now just stand back and watch "Mr Gresley's" finest, run past going like the clappers.

From the moment I heard her coming through Mochdre and heard that whistle the hairs on the back of my neck didnt just stand up they stood to attention.

Not wishing to open a can of worms all I can say is bring on the "Scotsman"

Have a good one

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Sunny outside, so I guess there'll be nothing to keep us from us from joining Charlie during his pet school lesson in the afternoon!

We made a trip to the former lignite mine at Espenhain yesterday where I shot the following images at the still-developing mining museum:

el2b.jpg

This is an EL 2 type mining locomotive as built by the famous LEW locomotive works at Hennigsdorf. 1,384 of these locos were built between 1952 and 1988, and used in numerous open cast mines all across the GDR and several other East Bloc countries. They were built for standard gauge mining railways - with those exported to the Soviet Union but being set up for 1,520 mm broad gauge - , while the similar EL 3 type had been designed for the various 900 mm narrow gauge systems also in existence. The EL 2 provided a one-hour power output of 1,400 kW, had a maximum speed of 65 kph and tractive effort of 294 kN. They were designed to be powered by 1,200, 1,500 or 2,400 V DC, depending on which system was used in any given mine.

To allow for overhead loading of the coal hoppers, the locos were also equipped with two pairs of laterally mounted pantographs as the OHLE had been set to the side of the track in loading facilities. However, engine 4-1137 100-B3 does not currently have these auxiliary pans installed.

kupplung.jpg

As you can see, mining stock in the GDR used central buffers and manually coupled drawbars, similar, but not identical to those on the still existing mining railway system around Garzweiler and Hambach near Cologne.

lokfront.jpg

There are numerous pneumatic and electric line connectors on the loco fronts, with the locos being equipped to also power the unloading mechanism on the burden hoppers - one of which is coupled to 4-1137 100-B3.

radsatz.jpg

One of the loco's wheelsets...

drehgestell.jpg

..and one bogie of the burden hopper.

srb1.jpg

And this is one of the actual coal hoppers, located immediately behind the bucket-wheel excavator also on display at Espenhain.

srb2e.jpg

The BWE is a TAKRAF-built SRs 1000n type machine. The spreader unit is also present at the site, but much too large for being photographed close up. While the SRs 1000n actually is not the largest of the GDR-built BWE types, it still is rather major in size, as I guess this image illustrates rather well!

srb3.jpg

And a front view showing the large cutting wheel. The operator's cabin is hung to the right and behind the wheel, and I can only guess at how elating it must have been to handle a piece of machinery that large!

Have a good one, guys and gals!

• Like 3

Morning all....

All the signs point to a scorcher, so fingers crossed. Another day of this and we'll be moaning about the heat.

Felt for Adam Scott yesterday in the golf. Always tough to see someone implode and snatch defeat....

Have a good day one and all...

Edited by gordon s

Morning All,

I'm back from my holiday now - it was quite a restful couple of weeks, mainly away from Computers and all other forms of technology. I even left my mobile phone alone for several days at a time!

We spent a couple of days in London while I was over in the UK. My Girlfriend has never been before, and so we spent a long weekend doing all the tourist sites. We travelled by train from Battle to Charing Cross - and I was pleasantly surprised by the service. Somethings have stayed the same since my daily commute nearly (eek!) 15 years ago, but much has improved.

Today it is back in the office, and the little guy now has three weeks with his Mum.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1