The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Most artwork seen in the flesh leaves me cold, Pete. There's something about the portrayal of most of the major renowned artists that their art is over analysed and reported on in the press to the extent that whenever you see the "real" painting, it rarely lives up to the hype.

I did, however, have to eat my words when I saw the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. That is one of the most beautiful paintings in the world, and its conservation, given it must be over 500 years old now, is just astonishing.

I agree with you, very few have such a profound effect on me as David and Liliies! "The Gypsy" I liked 'cos it would look cool in my Dining Room.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I agree with you, very few have such a profound effect on me as David and Liliies! "The Gypsy" I liked 'cos it would look cool in my Dining Room.......

Best, Pete.

Wot!! No black velvet painting of dogs playing poker? :jester:

I have to agree with the Monet. There is just something about the original that draws your eyes into it. Something a small copy or screen image just can't manage.

• Like 1

Morning all!

Persistent heavy rain forecast (and here) in Edinburgh. We even have an amber warning in place just to make us feel special. This must be the amber heavy rain we were meant to get last Wednesday... this is meant to carry on all day and into the night.

Gordon, glad all went smoothly and they're safely packed off for a week or two of peace and quiet for you.

Andrew, probably a wise disclaimer given the Twitter Joke Trial...! If we see a road runner going past, we'll know you got your alternative transport...

Pete (et al) - haven't seen Water Lilies in the flesh, but there are definitely some amazing paintings out there that I have seen and which do give goosebumps. Picasso left me cold but other Monets that I have seen have been quite amazing, even the earlier stuff. I was lucky enough as a teenager to go to St Petersburg and Moscow and got to look round the Hermitage - definitely recommended for art lovers.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

disclaimer: for those with advanced humour deficiency the above inane rambling is meant as a fictional parody and not intended to solicit the procurement of illegal substances or fissionable materials. :triniti:

Watch out folks, We are now on MI5 and the drug squad's radar.

Re: art. Agreed Pete. I was pretty cynical but seeing 'David' in the flesh (eh?) was a really moving experience. Hairs on the back of the neck etc. The full works.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've seen the repro David that is still outside in Florence. The Uffizi was open so we saw lots of paintings there. My favourite paintings were in France though. We visited the Dordogne so long ago tourists could still see the genuine cave art. I think possibly only the recreations are seen now(?).

Tony

"Monet's "Water Lillies""

He painted dozens of examples.

Don't remember any 20' wide so I'll go to google.

Yes - the one in NY is nearly 42 feet wide and he painted 250+ versions.

He was nearly blind when he finished - no wonder.

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

we've had some rain in the night , it's not raining at the moment , but it looks like it will do again,

at any time . Ahh , the British summer .

Stuck on the turntable project untill I can purchase some plastic angle strip to represent the supporting

structure for the girders , and waiting for some gears for the drive , so thats that for a few days .

No doubt plenty of other jobs will be available for doing though .

Have a good day folks .

"Monet's "Water Lillies""

He painted dozens of examples.

Don't remember any 20' wide so I'll go to google.

Yes - the one in NY is nearly 42 feet wide and he painted 250+ versions.

He was nearly blind when he finished - no wonder.

That's not the one I mean. There is another "Water Lillies" in MOMA at just under 20 feet - the main colours are totally different, more ethereal - and it is much better overall in mho.

Best, Pete.

I've seen the repro David that is still outside in Florence. The Uffizi was open so we saw lots of paintings there. My favourite paintings were in France though. We visited the Dordogne so long ago tourists could still see the genuine cave art. I think possibly only the recreations are seen now(?).

Tony

The real David has it's own building and you approach it via a corridor of "prisoners" - makes the repro look like a Woolies special. The details of the hands are extraordinary, in particular). Though I like the "prisoners" too.

Like you I visited The Caves of Altamira in the early sixties - you had to slither through the rocks. Now considered the most important cave art site in Europe (I think because of the "hands") it is totally closed and a complete reproduction (not detailed) of the cave system has been built close by. I feel blessed to have seen the real thing, too.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Or a large falling "Safe" manufactured by ACME Inc.

Now that you all have been mentioning ACME and falling objects, I keep visualising gargantuan anvils dropping from the sky...

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

would have been morning (just) but the scaffolders arrived (at long last, hooray) and of course I'd be wasting time on the Dapol releases thread so that was that but now I've got the 'paper and moved the cars back into the drive so time back on here - until I have to do the vacuuming. Not bad weather with a few light showers and it seems a bit better in the Rhine Valley as Rod rang from the Germania statue and he could see across to Bingen (and I duly directed home where to look for the best bars once he got across there).

And if Pete ever gets over this side of the big ocean and fancies a trip to Paris this is one gallery which should not be missed (or missed by anyone else interested in art) http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en/home.html

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

I shouldn't be here, as I was meant to have a diabetic check and a return to work interview at the office today, then a trip to various retail outlets (aka a trip to the shops). Both of the appointments were cancelled at short notice, the work one until tomorrow and the diabetic check once I'm back at work. Shops can wait! :sarcastic:

Does mean I'm on puppy duty again, but she is being very well behaved at the mo - though I've had to reroute the mains lead for the computer as she thinks it is some sort of dangly toy. She seems to grow an inch or so every day and a feed seems to result in 1/3 going to create mischief, 1/3 going to add to her size, and 1/3 needing clearing in the garden.

I think that the "amber" rain passed this way last night, as it was totally hoying down during the night, and could yet do so here again.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to post more stuff onto Wheeltapper's Estate thread all morning.

No sooner have I got it all ready that the bluddy SQuirreLs interfere.

And no coyote to chase them away.

This is in the SVR thread but I felt it needed individual attention.

So much for weathering!

I've never seen such a clean looking working loco.

Gear on 43106:

post-7041-0-82149700-1342605649.jpg

Afternoon all, just about managed to tear myself away from the Dapol thread and it's bountiful good news within.... what a wonderfully diverse hobby we're indulging in eh?

If you want weathering DD take a butcher's at this on Ivatt 46443, also on the Valley...!

post-7638-0-61477500-1342619327_thumb.jpg

'Grey and grimsal' outside as my other half is wont to say, whenever the rain is about. Dim and wet the weather may be, but I'm sitting here enjoying the fruits of fellow RMWebbers with a nice cup of tea, a slice of herself's finest home made sponge cake and Jim Russels book on GWR Railcars at hand... can't get much better than that can it. With a few days off I really ought to get some more modelling done, if I can drag myself away from this here computer for a while!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I blame the Ramblers.

The car park at the park (or Pleasure Grounds as it is described on the bye law notice) gets very full when it is Rambling Club day. People seem to drive quite a long way to have a ramble round here.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I like the way some people drive five miles to the gym and five miles back again just to do ten miles on a treadmill..

Whenever Aditi phones me from the gym (usually with an update on when she would like dinner to be ready) she seems to be drinking tea or eating a biscuit.