The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Not me, I'm in bed at 10pm..... ;)

And if you are not you go home !! Sorry Gordon could'nt resist and the old ones are the best . :jester:

Morning all ,

dry and undecided is the weather forecast at the moment , usual mix of bright and dull moments .

My mobile is an emergency use job , take it if I'm out somewhere but other than that it sits

on the table doing very little .

A bit of shopping on the cards and then maybe some more work on the layout , oh this retirement lark

is so stressful .

Have a good day .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

I got stir crazy early this morning and the sun had made a rare appearance, so I went for a walk down the lane.

The aroma of flowers was intense as they greeted the sun too.

Lots of honeysuckle with their heavy perfume and these with their more subtle fragrance:

post-7041-0-06151000-1342087165.jpg

post-7041-0-96795000-1342087197.jpg

Even the dung fly likes the Cow Parsley:

post-7041-0-60672400-1342087232.jpg

I didn't take a mobile 'phone.

• Like 3

OMG FML no mobile service!!!! How the hell am I supposed to use my 3G fondle slab to check up on how badly NatWest has ****ed up my bank account?????

Seriously, it was a nice break having my corporate mobile knobbled for most of the day. I actually got some work done. Now if only my email would crash.

Btw does anyone feel slightly uncomfortable with MI4? No I don't mean the GWR content but Pendon? I thought these thing were to highlight modelling by members of RMWeb?

Pendon deserves all of its' superlatives but if I see that flipping viaduct one more time in a magazine I'm getting on a flight home, driving down to the museum and jumping off the thing....

Debs, Most burglars snip the landline before breaking into your house. Another good point in a cellphone's favour is that it will work when the lines are down due to bad weather or anything else. On 9/11 all the landlines failed around NYC when the first tower was hit . I was able to contact my SiL who was on the Staten Island ferry visible in some shots when the second plane hit and persuade to stay on it and return to SI.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

S*d the lack of mobile signals - where's my post from earlier today gone? Ah well it was probably sql'd. So it's 'afternoon all' and after a sunny morning it's a soggy afternoon, as seems to be the current fashion.

I do have a mobile 'phone - it has nice big buttons I can see without my specs and it also does something called 'txt' which I've no need whatsoever to understand apart from knowing how to open and delete incoming messages. It's handy to have in the car should troubles strike and possibly when away from home but that's about it - I have a computer to access the internet, a tv on which to watch films etc, and a Ca,mera (several actually) with which to take pictures. But I can remember my mobile 'phone number - something which seems unusual even among the young.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hate mobiles, and only carry one when I need to. It's PAYG and an old Nokia splashproof handset that my son had no further use for several years ago. OK for calls and texts if not much else and it bounces when you drop it on a flagstone, unlike a well-known machine with a glass front.

• RMweb Premium

But I can remember my mobile 'phone number - something which seems unusual even among the young.

I also know my mobile number by heart, but then again, it's a different question entirely whether I still qualify as "young", I guess!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I like my phone, or should I say my mobile pc, 8mp camera, sat nav, games centre, bank terminal, video camera etc.etc. all rolled into one - what's not to like?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I quite like my phone and find it quite useful. I do get a bit irritated with people who shout or play tinny music from the speaker or don't look where they are walking/driving while phoning or texting.

Pete I'm not so sure that a mobile would be so useful in a major emergency here. Google MTPAS

• RMweb Gold

I have a friend who has been with O2 PAYG for years. She recently upgraded to an iPhone at no cost. She seems to get a certain amount of Internet etc access, and of course round the house it's WiFi so costs nothing anyway. In real terms poserphones have never been better value.

• RMweb Gold

Btw does anyone feel slightly uncomfortable with MI4? No I don't mean the GWR content but Pendon? I thought these thing were to highlight modelling by members of RMWeb?

It has been years since I saw any photos of Pendon and they were probably black and white anyway. I haven't really done any any UK standard gauge modelling since about 1985, (except for the Thomas layout I made for Matthew when he was about 3). I wonder if MI4 is responsible for this sudden urge to build a GW branchline or even better a GW/LMS branch!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

I like my phone, or should I say my mobile pc, 8mp camera, sat nav, games centre, bank terminal, video camera etc.etc. all rolled into one - what's not to like?

I'm not playing any games on mine, but indeed it was my everyday obligations where I quickly found it to be superbly useful for all kinds of things. Including taking spotting notes, I should add! :lol:

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I used to be very firmly in the don't want and don't need a mobile phone camp.

I bought one because it could be used to control my music system and (much to my surprise) found that some of the the other things it did were remarkably useful too. The function it gets used for least is texting closely followed by making phone calls. I never really did these things much before and still don't bother much now. In fact, unless I specifically need it, it is switched off.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

Thing is. You don't have to answer the phone. I don't use it whilst driving. I pull over to make a call, if necessary.

If I don't want to speak I can send a terse message.

You can always turn it off (which is what they used to say about the telly, remember?). A Cellphone is a very handy device - rule it, don't let it rule you!

Tony, I just bought a book on Cornish Railways (and very good it is too) by John Vaughan......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Once I had a Motorola clamshell type phone and that was fun as I could pretend it was a Star Trek communicator. Not quite as much fun as sitting in the front seat on the DLR and pretending to be a driver.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Thing is. You don't have to answer the phone. I don't use it whilst driving. I pull over to make a call, if necessary.

Pete, I also do very little in the way of phone calls, regardless of whether I make or receive them. I especially detest people chatting about the most private (or, conversely, trivial) matters in what essentially are public places, and certainly do not want to move down to that level myself. Like you, I also do not accept or place any calls while driving - what is voicemail there for, after all?

Once I had a Motorola clamshell type phone and that was fun as I could pretend it was a Star Trek communicator. Not quite as much fun as sitting in the front seat on the DLR and pretending to be a driver.

And another classic goal from Tony S!!!!!!!

Best, Pete.