The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Belated Happy Birthday Gordon , I did'nt get the clue this morning either , as I've only just got back on line

I thought I should join the other well wishers , if I'd known you would be down this way you could have called

round for a coffee and biscuit .

A win is a win but a bit unsatisfying I thought.

A tailor's dummy could have put Rooney's goal in.

My MiL could have put that goal in and she has two replacement hips and a new knee.

Gerard was good.

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to book a holiday. We were going to Canada but Matthew said he'd like his holiday to be somewhere else in the summer and we can then visit Canada when he is settled in there.

As I'm getting lazy we are going to do something I said I never would, we are going to try a Med cruise assuming the ones the telegraph travel service suggested still exist tomorrow. We will be avoiding the Olympics as Aditi has to take her holiday during those weeks.

Matthew has been sorting out his visa for Canada. He had to sign to state that he had no wives or children and that dependant parents wouldn't be staying with him while studying there. Other than that they just wanted to know about his finances.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

A rather tardy Happy Birthday Gordon. Shame about the broken bits.

I've done my part by raising a couple in your honour by the Thames this evening.

I'm glad you are out and about. I thought the post you made on the TVNAM thread suggested that you might have to be in a secure establishment for a while!

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to book a holiday. We were going to Canada but Matthew said he'd like his holiday to be somewhere else in the summer and we can then visit Canada when he is settled in there.

As I'm getting lazy we are going to do something I said I never would, we are going to try a Med cruise assuming the ones the telegraph travel service suggested still exist tomorrow. We will be avoiding the Olympics as Aditi has to take her holiday during those weeks.

Tony

I know several people who - much to my surprise - are 'cruising' regulars and we're occasionally tempted but can't stand the idea of the 'formal evenings' although some ships avoid that. However a tip, from what I've found in the past when considering such a trip, is to check out as much as you can about the ship on the 'net. Of course 'net based reviews can be biased but some ships seem to have consistently bad reputations as do some of the operating companies.

But a little aside, and I'm not trying to put you off - really. When I was working out in Aus I shared an office with the company's ship assessors and regrettably was too busy to take up the offer of one of them to go along with him on a day of safety system checks on the QE2. And I really did miss out it seems from his story on returning as he very nearly withdrew the ship's safety certificate on the basis of what he saw below decks and he went back (still without me alas) the next day to check up on the progress they were making putting things right before giving the ship permission to sail. In the end he let it go but with a continuing list of 'improvements' and 'rectifications' which were to be checked out by another assessor when the ship got to Singapore - definitely not in A1 category with Lloyds on that occasion.

• RMweb Gold

I think I could cope (just) with the couple of "formal evenings" on the cruise though as food is available 24 hours anyway they could be avoided! I think Aditi would quite like the idea. Matthew will go with us and strangely doesn't have any objection to formal things. He said men in dinner jackets either look like James Bond or waiters. Matthew thinks he looks like a waiter!

The biggest vessel I've ever been on was the superferry from Harwich to Holland.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

The smaller ships tend to be more formal - which is bad news for me as I don't like the big ones.....

I don't trust any of them - the lifeboats are only effective when sinking on an even keel. Avoid Italian...

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I'm glad you are out and about. I thought the post you made on the TVNAM thread suggested that you might have to be in a secure establishment for a while!

The usual government department "fustercluck" situation. After a rather nasty flu coupled with some other recurring problems that have kept me down for the best part of 3 weeks, I'm on the mend thank's to Glaxo's finest tablets I'm once again terrorising local hostelries.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Rain seems to be today's weather theme, but it is not cold at least. Still feeling flakey, but I think allowing myself to sleep in a bit longer did help. I guess I'll have to take every moment as it comes at this time.

BBL...

Morning all,

Birds singing here too this morning, the new Kingfisher brood exceptionally vocal, quit loud enough to drown out the 5:30am "Call -to-prayer".... cruises not for me. Belated birthday greetings Gordon.

Have a good un all

Trev

We're currently being entertained by several of these:

post-1771-0-08381900-1340170216.jpg

This photo is from a few years ago - the ones we're seeing now are probably some of the great-grandchildren of the one in the picture.

• Like 6

Morning All,

A belated Happy Birthday Gordon!

The weather around here is leaving a lot to be desired today. Grey, rainy, humid and generally miserable. Still, nothing a cup of coffee won't fix!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

Hello all.

How's the head this morning Gordon? Did you have people round?

Clear again today though forecast to be cloudy tomorrow and Friday with rain over the weekend.

I agree the picture is smashing!