The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Mark Webber's airborne exploit was in morning warm-up for the 1999 LM race, as a result of the car demonstrating positive lift under certain circumstances. His Mercedes team-mate Peter Dumbreck had the same experience between Mulsanne and Indianapolis corners in the race - we watched him leave Mulsanne and he became airborne just out of our field of view, ending in the trees unhurt. The cars were withdrawn.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

A quick look in to see what Andy has planned for Members' day and of course one thing is leading to another, so I might as well check in here as well.

Heard from the breeder that she has decided which puppy we are having - for those who had the pictures, it's the one with the lime green/brown collar, and the expression as though it's chewed a wasp - her posh name is Quarr Perchance To Dream - which doesn't shorten all that well to Lily, but Lily she will be to us - I doubt I'd be able to wander round the park and recall her with "Come here, Quarr Perchance To Dream" - it somehow had the wrong ring about it.

If anybody else is interested, she's the top left image on the breeder's news page here:-

http://www.quarrsussexspaniels.co.uk/news.html

Back at the end of the month, so bye for now.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if I should seek to do some additional therapeutic modelling beyond the MRCE 189 project currently on my bench, given the current situation. Doing that helped a lot after Grandpa's passing last year, after all...

That's up to you, Dom. It's difficult to advise someone I've only met over the internet, I'd need to sit down with you for a couple of beers in a nice bar with a mountain view.

I do know this. Coping with the death of close ones is all part of all our growing up phase - I'm somewhat lucky in that I never had two sets of grandparents and the one set I did have did not pass on until I was in my mid - twenties.

We all must cope with it in our own way without allowing what is a sad fact of life to ruin our lives, grieving a loss is vital indeed - keeping alive beloved memories is just as important too.

You must remember that you are not alone; everyone on the planet goes through the same thing.

Best, Pete.

PS Sorry I should have said the my Father's parents both died before I was born.........

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Stewart, good news about your puppy.

Fortunately the final bit of Robbie's name on his pedigree certificate(not that he knows he has one) is Robin so it was easy to name him. His official middle name is Ragged so I think he is named after some wildflower or even a weed!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Pete. Worrying - sometimes excessively - about what is right is something I'm not always proud of, I must admit.

Worrying in this case may be as a result of being a caring person. Be positive, and supportive of your parents at this time, and if doing some modelling helps you, then do some.

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 1

Stewart, good news about your puppy.

Fortunately the final bit of Robbie's name on his pedigree certificate(not that he knows he has one) is Robin so it was easy to name him. His official middle name is Ragged so I think he is named after some wildflower or even a weed!

"The Kennel Club"

......brings to mind a mental-image of pedigree blue-blood canines, dressed in Italian-leather slippers and smoking-jackets, sitting in leather armchairs and smoking meerschaums. :mosking:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Worrying in this case may be as a result of being a caring person. Be positive, and supportive of your parents at this time, and if doing some modelling helps you, then do some.

I guess we must all be there for one another at this time...so I think you do have a point in saying you must be able to do so by whatever means you feel comfortable with.

In any case, Grandma's funeral will be on Monday next week.

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago Robbie was doing his daft spaniel act running around in the park when a man who also had a cocker spaniel commented on how fit Robbie looked. The man's wife (I assume they were a pair) announced very loudly that he clearly wasn't a "pedigree". I wish I'd enquired whether she was referring to my dog or her husband.

Tony

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I guess we must all be there for one another at this time...so I think you do have a point in saying you must be able to do so by whatever means you feel comfortable with.

In any case, Grandma's funeral will be on Monday next week.

There can be all kinds of things you can help with, collecting relatives from home or bus/rail stations, suggesting some happy memory to be included in any eulogy at the funeral. Matthew's comments that his Grandma had developed an interest in watching ice hockey late in life caused some light relief at her funeral.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

There can be all kinds of things you can help with, collecting relatives from home or bus/rail stations, suggesting some happy memory to be included in any eulogy at the funeral. Matthew's comments that his Grandma had developed an interest in watching ice hockey late in life caused some light relief at her funeral.

I still well remember how we would help them with their fruit harvesting back in the 80s. As Grandpa also had a tractor, this was too good for the little boy I had been at the time to pass up. I think it must have been a Fordson Dexta E series like this one: http://i.pbase.com/v3/07/12907/1/47717415.1960FordsonDexta.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I still well remember how we would help them with their fruit harvesting back in the 80s. As Grandpa also had a tractor, this was too good for the little boy I had been at the time to pass up. I think it must have been a Fordson Dexta E series like this one: http://i.pbase.com/v...ordsonDexta.jpg

The 9 year old version of me also had fun sitting next to the tractor driver on my Great Uncle Duncan's farm. He also had horses but by then they were really kept as retired animals and didn't pull any machinery.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Crikey you lot led a sheltered life. I was allowed to 'drive' (i.e. steer sitting on someone's lap) a Fordson Major by the time I was 9; I was driving a 14ft cut combine at 13 (not that I could change gear but you didn't need to and I had to drive because I was too small to handle the grain sacks!). However I'd given up on horses when I was about 7 after a pair ran away going down hill with a wagon of wheat sheaves that I was sitting on top of - bit scary that.

Heard from the breeder that she has decided which puppy we are having - for those who had the pictures, it's the one with the lime green/brown collar, and the expression as though it's chewed a wasp - her posh name is Quarr Perchance To Dream - which doesn't shorten all that well to Lily, but Lily she will be to us - I doubt I'd be able to wander round the park and recall her with "Come here, Quarr Perchance To Dream" - it somehow had the wrong ring about it.

If anybody else is interested, she's the top left image on the breeder's news page here:-

http://www.quarrsuss...co.uk/news.html

Stewart

Very cute Stewart! Our dogs had some very strange Kennel Club names: Black Before Dark, Falcoze Jabaroo of Araki, Araki Drumbeat, and my dog Oscar was Crystal Starbuck of Araki.

That's up to you, Dom. It's difficult to advise someone I've only met over the internet, I'd need to sit down with you for a couple of beers in a nice bar with a mountain view.

I do know this. Coping with the death of close ones is all part of all our growing up phase - I'm somewhat lucky in that I never had two sets of grandparents and the one set I did have did not pass on until I was in my mid - twenties.

We all must cope with it in our own way without allowing what is a sad fact of life to ruin our lives, grieving a loss is vital indeed - keeping alive beloved memories is just as important too.

You must remember that you are not alone; everyone on the planet goes through the same thing.

Best, Pete.

PS Sorry I should have said the my Father's parents both died before I was born.........

I lost my last remaining grandparent within a few hours of my birth so have never know any of my grandparents. I did have great aunts though, who were as good as grandparents to me.

Morning All,

I've started early today - it is due to be quite hot (with thunderstorms forecast for later) so I've decided to start early in order to finish earlier.

I hope you are feeling a little bit more positive today Dominik.

I used to love messing around on Tractors as a kid - my cousin (who is four years older than me) and I were allowed to drive the tractor on occasion and also a little Winget dumper - which was tremendous fun. It also taught me to respect machinery, and how to swing a large diesel engine without breaking your wrist!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Can't say for sure how I'm feeling right now, except that I'm tired as hell. I don't think I'll be at uni for very long today, and have notified all tutors accordingly.

I actually wish there were some thunderstorms at last. Yesterday had been terribly muggy, but no thunder materialised.

Morning all,

Dom, just try to remember the good times, I never knew my paternal grandmother as she died before I was born, one of the last things one grandfather did was take me to the festival of Britain (1951) .The other grandfather had an argument with a car (and lost) when I was 7 so don't really remember to much of him. My Grandma did last until I was well into my 20's.

But trust me, time does heal.

Try to have a good day all,

Trev.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I have led a very sheltered life never having driven a tractor or a horse. My last car did sound a bit like a tractor before I got rid of it though. Does that count?

• Like 1

Never driven a tractor or ridden a horse. Was allowed to back the car out of the garage along the driveway and into the street at about 14 years old.

Dawned clear and blue skied today. Max temp forecast to be 18C which we consider cool. Rain forecast from Thursday into the weekend.

Happy Tuesday all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, watery sunshine at the moment but we are promised better later. I learned to drive on a 5 speed Nuffield tractor equipped with a belt drive pulley, I nearly ran away down a 1:7 hill with a steering 4 wheel 4railer full of straw. Reversing the damn thing alongside the barn was tricky though. The barn was made out of parts from the Midland railway goods shed from Crigglestone East. Farmers were recycling long before it became trendy. I think it was called make do and mend.

• Like 1