The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning, all.....

Another beautiful day ahead for NYC Metro:

Mostly Sunny, 78f (26C), humidity comfortable at 50%, Breeze from the East at 7 mph.

Enjoyed the match yesterday, whilst fraught at times the Walcott goal turned it around and even the substitutions made sense! Sensible management instead of "knee-jerk" reactions?

Whatever, we'll follow progress with interest. Live match coverage by FOX Soccer Channel in HD brilliant - I still cannot believe I'm saying that about Fox, but it is true.

Have a great day, everybody and if you should be going to TVNAM 2012 please take your camera. Ta.

Best, Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

I'm actually up earlier than 10am! I specifically asked my dad to wake me up so I wouldn't keep drifting back to sleep as I have got into something of a bad habit lying in for most of the morning. Yesterday I did eventually go and do some "research" at the pub although I still forgot to take a photo of the front as I was more focused on working out what the back of the pub looked like!

Time for a cuppa before I start any modelling.

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I did eventually go and do some "research" at the pub although I still forgot to take a photo of the front as I was more focused on working out what the back of the pub looked like!

You also planning to research said pub's interior? :D

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Second day of continious rain here. V. heavy at times. I'll let you know if we manage forty.

We did have a two day break from rain earlier in the week. That confused people no end.

This weather is becoming depressing but still, I suppose I should be thankful that we haven't suffered flooding or a hosepipe ban. Or both.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, quite bright here.

Following the downpours of the last few weeks, and after numerous complaints from a flooded out Joe Public, my employers have decreed that the 'Beat the drought' stickers have to come off the sides of the vans - trouble is that someone must have ordered extra strong glue because in lot of cases they are having to be quite forcibly scraped off with consequent damage to the van's paintwork. In some cases this is down to bare metal - you couldn't make it up.

Have a good one.

• Like 1

Morning all, quite bright here.

Following the downpours of the last few weeks, and after numerous complaints from a flooded out Joe Public, my employers have decreed that the 'Beat the drought' stickers have to come off the sides of the vans - trouble is that someone must have ordered extra strong glue because in lot of cases they are having to be quite forcibly scraped off with consequent damage to the van's paintwork. In some cases this is down to bare metal - you couldn't make it up.

Have a good one.

:D :D Thanks Phil, that's made my morning.

Anyone else had one of these Pay Tags in the post? Seems you stick it on the back of your phone to make payments of less than £15 for coffee's etc and as a substitute for cash. I can see it now....Some yuppie type with no cash waving his phone at the receiver which has decided to give up the ghost. He's got no cash and the queue is building up by the second.

Progress? Don't make me laugh....

Seems the KISS principle doesn't apply to technology these days...

I'm having a bad SQL day. Anyone else suffering.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been getting SQL messages on average at least once a day, but none so far today!

I had one about 9 am. Does the server gets its buffer flushed periodically, as after a sql event it then seems to work faster?

I don't think the card actually has to be on a phone. i suspect you could put it anywhere you could wave it at the terminal.

In that case it won't be long before we have the first recorded instance of someone "mooning" their payment.

I don't think the card actually has to be on a phone. i suspect you could put it anywhere you could wave it at the terminal.

The blurb says the tag 'can turn any mobile phone into a new way to make contactless payments in seconds', so I guessed there is some 'blue tooth' type technology involved. I'd find it more useful without a phone as I rarely take mine out and it's never switched on unless I need to call someone.

I'm a real luddite.....

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, heavy rain overnight and the sky looks as soggy as the ground feels. Nobody has sent me a phone tag having said that I can't even find my phone let alone any money. The cat's are all unsettled I am not sure if this means another thunderstorm or they want more breakfast.

Did a bit of Googling...

There are many different forms of mobile payment ranging from the purchase of ringtones or games using a premium SMS (a higher priced message on your phone bill) to mobile contactless payment where you wave your phone in front of a retail terminal or subway turnstile to pay.

Mobile payment and mobile banking work like Internet banking/payment but instead of using your PC, you use your cell phone. You get 24/7 access to mobile banking, mobile payment, mobile wallet, mobile money transfer and other financial services, from anywhere via SMS or mobile browsing. This is made safe by storing the security part of the payment service on the SIM card which is based on the same technology as the latest bank cards and therefore adheres to the highest security standards.

The latest type of mobile payment which is already widely used in Japan combines a contactless payment credit card with your cell phone. You pay by bringing your mobile phone close to the reader at the register. It is based on Near Field Communication (NFC), a wireless standard for communicating over short distances of less than 10 centimeters. Even though you are using your cell phone to pay at the register instead of your physical credit card, you are still using the credit card account. The bill would appear on your credit card statement.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think my bank will be issuing those contactless cards though they have been pushing their mobile phone "app" recently. When we were in the Lake District Matthew phoned and asked me to transfer some money for him, so I thought I'd install the bank app. With no wifi and no 3G it took ages and then wouldn't run as whatever passcode I'd chosen wasn't recognised. I then accessed the normal bank account via internet. This was a very long task and all I succeeded in doing was locking out access to my bank account for a while.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Crikey what a world you're exposing us to Gordon - my idea of a 'mobile wallet' is one I can put in my pocket and which can contain useful things like a Driving Licence and tickets et as well as money. I'm becoming increasingly grateful that the new mobile 'phone I bought earlier is suitable only for telephone calls and those peculiar messages called 'txt' - KISS is definitely the way to go.

Anyway we have some increasingly cloudy weather with a few light showers promised for later. And yesterday was a day of achievement - an 'initial impressions' set of comments about Dapol signals put together and posted and the scanner connected and thus far tested on b&w prints and negatives (eventually in the case of the latter as I found it helped to read the instructions after managing to get two wonderful scans of the negative carrier followed by an impressive set of negative images), shall have to try some nice ancient transparencies today.

• RMweb Premium

A good morning to one and all ,

was there a football game somewhere yesterday ?

Weather here is cold grey and windy , not looking like any improvement in the short

term either .

Now to find things to do . :scratchhead:

Enjoy your day .

Morning all!

Been damp here but dry now. Had fun finding a parking space in Durham last night as Old Elvet was completely closed to parking from 6pm last night as the Olympic flame will be there 6pm tonight... Nothing like putting in measures too early...

Seems like there was some sort of religious vigil last night, chanting kept waking me up........now seems more humid than usual, not a good sign.

"En-ger-land, En-ger-land, En-ger-land!" perhaps? :no:

Morning all,

Crikey what a world you're exposing us to Gordon - my idea of a 'mobile wallet' is one I can put in my pocket and which can contain useful things like a Driving Licence and tickets et as well as money. I'm becoming increasingly grateful that the new mobile 'phone I bought earlier is suitable only for telephone calls and those peculiar messages called 'txt' - KISS is definitely the way to go.

Anyway we have some increasingly cloudy weather with a few light showers promised for later. And yesterday was a day of achievement - an 'initial impressions' set of comments about Dapol signals put together and posted and the scanner connected and thus far tested on b&w prints and negatives (eventually in the case of the latter as I found it helped to read the instructions after managing to get two wonderful scans of the negative carrier followed by an impressive set of negative images), shall have to try some nice ancient transparencies today.

I think the pay tag things are RFID tags (similar to what M&S use in their stock control tags on their garments). Nothing quite as complicated as Bluetooth, and I think they could be attached to anything... Never mind mooning, I'm half expecting someone to get one implanted under their skin...

It took me a little while to get the hang of scanning in negs and it's a long and boring task. Something I ought to do sometime, but the will to live rapidly disappears whenever I try...

• Like 1