The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, the sun is shining which is a tad unexpected. The hair dying saga continues but will be resolved by Thursday night hopefully. I feel sorry for the service personel made redundant today paying for the errors of others.

Tonight a dwarf reticulated python called Dave will be evicted from his vivarium so that it can be cleaned and refurbished he is not a happy chappy at the best of times so there will be entertainment aplenty!

Edited by skipepsi

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Raining quite heavily here but very warm. We have a late start this morning, Aditi has a routine diabetes blood test at a local clinic at 9am so won't be off to work until after that,

Mick, Matthew was quite keen call name our dog "Dave" but as he was called Robin by the breeder he became Robbie. The nurse at the vets said calling a dog Dave seems to make them "naughty". Don't know if it applies to pythons though!

Morning all. Still not back to normal. Off to see the quack today. If you don't hear from me again it means I've been scrapped and sold off for spare parts.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Still not back to normal. Off to see the quack today. If you don't hear from me again it means I've been scrapped and sold off for spare parts.

Have a good day.

Andrew

Let me have your remaining (full) bottles of beer if he does scrap you!!

Raining at home all night and here in London when I got here. Think its still raining outside.

Ian

Morning guys.....Been sitting listening to Joe Walsh. Funny how the singing voice can be so different to the speaking voice.

Great guitarist who is going to be running guitar seminars with Gibson, so no doubt our ER guitarists will all be playing Walsh riffs soon....

• RMweb Gold

Funny how the singing voice can be so different to the speaking voice.

I know what you mean. I was listening to the Front Row (Radio 4 Friday evening) interview with Neil Young.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Have a good day.

Hope your doctor has something positive to say. I'll be going up to Barts on Thursday for what I hope/expect will be a "just keep taking the tablets" visit! I know I can't give blood and I suspect I can't be used for spare parts either.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

still dull and miserable down in the South West , I could almost feel sorry for the holiday makers .

Another day with the soldering iron beckons , 32 bi-colour LED's to wire ready for fitting , yesterday

was mounting resistors to a tag strip and 10 point switches , and this is just one half of the fiddle yard ,

same to be done for the other half .

Hey Ho , off to get some milk and the papers .

Have a good one .

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Still need to catch up on sleep and get to bed earlier, but I don't see that happening!

I haven't got a lot of modelling done the last couple days, but I did go to a 10 mile charity midnight walk on Sunday. Found some muscles I haven't used for a while!

On the cards today is a serious modelling session - I've got three buildings I would love to get done today, but one of them is a big one so I'll start that one first and see how I get on.

Breamore Station looks to have some great photogenic angles on it, which means I don't have to fiddle around with the composition of the buildings. I put a couple on the layout thread last night. It does show all the little faults that need tidying up on the buildings, and the fact none of them have ridge tiles or chimneys...

Hope your doctor has something positive to say. I'll be going up to Barts on Thursday for what I hope/expect will be a "just keep taking the tablets" visit! I know I can't give blood and I suspect I can't be used for spare parts either.

Good luck with your visit. No knackers yard for me this time. Now on a double helping of some nasty antibiotics. Strange thing about blood donation. Canada wouldn't let me give blood because I spent too much time in the UK so I was banned due to mad cow. The UK won't let me donate because I came from Canada and I'm banned due to mad cow.

• RMweb Gold

Morning, another gloomy one. Not right when you think that in 9 days time it will be all downhill to winter!

Going to spend some time dejunking the workshop today, so hopefully will then be getting back to some model engineering - maybe.

Have a good one.

Develop a half full attitude Phil. In the USA Summer doesn't officially start until June 21st. Schools break up for summer hols around the 28th June.

We're getting heavy rain today off and on (and need it). High of 72f.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

First time using a hot glue gun. Lesson number one. Do not use tip of index finger to smooth down hot glue. It hurts and leaves a big blister....... :no:

I was always surprised that hot glue guns were approved for use in primary school classrooms (back in the late 1980s). Probably cost prohibits their use now.

Hot glue burns seem quite bad, first there is the heat from the molten glue, then you have hot solid glue to remove.

I'm just back from what would normally be a quiet walk in the park. However it ended with police cars, motorcycles (didn't know until now they had unmarked police motorcycles) and even the police helicopter. I think Robbie wanted to be a police dog but we restricted ourselves to saying "they" went thataway and what "they" were wearing.

Tony

Strange thing about blood donation. Canada wouldn't let me give blood because I spent too much time in the UK so I was banned due to mad cow. The UK won't let me donate because I came from Canada and I'm banned due to mad cow.

One of my bug bears too, Andrew. Pretty soon nobody will be able to give blood!

Curiously enough, I have had a hot glue gun in my cellar for years and have very rarely used it. Then, last Saturday I ended up using it twice!

As for Hot Glue guns in schools - whatever happened to Gloy?

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

First off - glad the puppy pics got to their intended destinations - Sussex Spaniels puppies look nothing like their adult counterparts, having more in common with a teddy bear than a dog. They don't grow into their looks until they are at least nine months old.

Good news, the window man came back on time and with a correct unit, and did an excellent job overall, so he's added to the list of 45156 approved tradesmen.

Just had a look on UK Steam, and it appears that if I go to Carnforth on Thursday, I can see two historic locos for the price of one as there as a special from London coming up with an AC electric (86?) giving over to Duchess of Sutherland, so I think a visit there is called for - but as soon as I mentioned it, 30747's reaction was "Oh good, that's near the supermarket - I'll write a list"

Also the annual will it/won't it lottery otherwise known as the MOT is due again tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

Afternoon Stewart,

My other half was just mentioning the 'leckie hauled tour as it'll be passing through here and she'd like to nip down the station and see it.... hope it does turn out to be the 86 again, anyway ta for the reminder ;) .

Can't get my head round the fact that it's nigh on the middle of June and I'm still having my cab heater on.... last night I took 6V14 down to Oxford where an Eastleigh man took over, I stepped down onto the platform and felt a nasty chill! Had the heater on in the staff van on the way home too...

Dry and a tad chilly here this morning, but at least we managed to get some more wood chopped up ready for the Winter ;)

(Good luck with the MOT)

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

As for Hot Glue guns in schools - whatever happened to Gloy?

Well when I had my arm twisted to help with infant class technology, the stuff they were making wouldn't have held together with Gloy or even the white "school glue" (thin PVA glue). To be honest the things that little kids in East London were building were fantastic especially compared to the joke that technology was when Matthew was at school 10 years later.

• RMweb Gold

I was always surprised that hot glue guns were approved for use in primary school classrooms (back in the late 1980s). Probably cost prohibits their use now.

Tony

I bought a new one from Hobbycraft in April and was very surprised to find it had a child safety rating having 'done a Gordon' using its predecessor a couple of days earlier. And I had a lot of 'stringing' not that it mattered much with both of the two that I have used.

Car seems to be partially supported but is overnighting in Reading for attention to what might be a leaking fuel line or overflow. Alas it's red face time as although there was definitely low pressure on the injector side of the pump there was also a strong smell of, hmm, petrol. The problem I have is trying to work out how it got there but fortunately the fuel system seems to be working quite well apart from that leak (which is hopefully not connected to the recent presence of petrol!)>

But what I now want to know of course is how the garage - an 'experienced Peugeot dealership' - managed to spend two days looking for the fault without finding petrol in the fuel system and then told me it was perfectly ok to drive?

Canada wouldn't let me give blood because I spent too much time in the UK so I was banned due to mad cow.

And the funniest thing about that ban was that the Canadian Red Cross ran adverts for several months before it came into effect, warning that it was coming, and asking people to donate blood before they would be banned from doing so!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

...there was also a strong smell of, hmm, petrol.

Some of the very modern diesels are very sensitive to petrol. I believe even setting the remote door unlock(on some cars the fuel pump actuates at the same time) is enough to cause contamination problems after a misfuel.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

And the funniest thing about that ban was that the Canadian Red Cross ran adverts for several months before it came into effect, warning that it was coming, and asking people to donate blood before they would be banned from doing so!

Matthew said at his university there was quite a lot of encouragement to give blood. Although he can't, people kept asking. Not quite people handing out white feathers but he felt bad about not being able to donate.