The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

Funny enough, yesterday at Whitrope as I started up to come home I had a complete Christmas tree of 'fail' lights on my dash with no temp, fuel gauge or speedo. Happened once before in extreme cold though yesterday it was 30o. Yesterday like the previous occasion, I stopped in The Holm for a hour to have a crack with my mate. When it started up again, all was normal. Of course, it is an Italian car! ;-)

Dave.

Evening all, busy day and didn't get on this morning, but read the posts...

Phil, that looks blooming sore. Hope it heals quickly.

Off climbing shortly though after running (well, jogging) 10K last night and running 10K on Saturday in the race my shins are feeling pretty tender and I'm barely awake at present...

• RMweb Gold

Picked up the car this afternoon - they still couldn't find any fault and it had fired first time every time they tried it. Drove off down the road to Waitrose - barely a mile away - did the shopping came out and got in car, which would not start - even after hand priming . Rang the garage who were very helpful and suggested both priming and turning the engine over at the same time - fortunately herself was with me and despite her lack of familiarity with an ignition key we had a go and the engine started.

Now the big question is do I go back to the same garage - which is Peugeot accredited or do I try someone else, hmm difficult one that.

Picked up the car this afternoon - they still couldn't find any fault and it had fired first time every time they tried it. Drove off down the road to Waitrose - barely a mile away - did the shopping came out and got in car, which would not start - even after hand priming . Rang the garage who were very helpful and suggested both priming and turning the engine over at the same time - fortunately herself was with me and despite her lack of familiarity with an ignition key we had a go and the engine started.

My couple of bad experiences with older model Pug oil-burners doing this, were 'leak-off' pipe related (the rubber hoses had perished and permitted air into the return fuel-line when the vehicle was moving and hot, but seemingly not -when parked- in the garage)......I wonder, have they considered such an obvious possibility?

Mike, Talk to the main Peugeot distributer/importer and explain what has happened. They usually stand by their cars.

AS for handpriming, Gordon, he's been waiting for the MOT excusal (for cars from 1960 or older) later this year......

Best, Pete

PS It took three goes to post that message. I know the problem is supposed to be being worked on but it seems like it is getting worse not better......

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

We had a Volvo with a Renault engine. Some of the hoses ran very near the exhaust manifold. One that perished due to heat was the vacuum hose for the brakes. At the time (a Saturday in Nottingham) I wasn't impressed as I was just over the road from a Volvo dealer. I went in to buy the appropriate hose at 12.50 to be told the spares dept shuts at 1pm and it was closed. I taped up the hose and drove the car to a safer parking place and went looking for a car accessory shop.

My Land Rover has a Ford / Peugeot diesel. Any hoses are not visible. Everything seems to be in some sort of box or under a cover!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks folks for various helpful thoughts - the garage is a Prugeot agent and part of a large group with a peugeot franchise so they ought to know what they're at. The fuel system is a typical example of French original engineering though (and money saving) so there is no fuel pump as such and the injection pump in effect sucks the fuel through from the tank. The fuel line between the tank and the hand priming device (a rubber bulb in the fuel line!) appears not to be taking in air as once the fuel is flowing there are no bubbles on that side. Which suggests that air is getting in between there and the injectors - so it could be anything from a minute crack in the fuel filter housing to a small leak to atmosphere in any part of the pipework that side. My suspicion is that it is happening somewhere between the priming bulb (inclusive) and the pump and the engine doesn't start because the electronics don't recognise sufficient fuel pressure in the system to allow the engine to start (and the lack of fuel at that end doesn't help either of course - I expect Sidecar Racer would have the whole lot sorted in 10 minutes.

Steam engines are so much simpler - maybe I should have bought that Stanley which was for sale locally last year? (on second thoughts it didn't have aircon - but then it didn't have a roof either).

We had a problem with our petrol-engined Mazda. For several years, it passed the emissions test, but with much worse figures that would be expected for a car its age. Then one of the emissions sensors failed. The local garage (an independent, not a Mazda dealer) fitted a new sensor, and that lasted about 200km before it failed too. The garage took it back in and spent several days on it before finding the cause. There was a hairline crack in the gasket between the inlet manifold and the block. One cylinder was sucking more air than the other three, and the emissions system had been dealing with that for several years (perhaps since the car was built) and finally gave up trying.

Apparently the garage eventually diagnosed it by, with the engine running, dropping small amounts of petrol along the gasket till they heard a change in the tone of the engine. That kind of confirmed the reputation of the garage in the area - real grumpy owner, but very smart.

(Edit for spelling)

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Now this was strange. Upon waking up and looking at the clock, I decided that since it looked like it was just shy of 7 am, I should be getting up. However, the bathroom clock then said it was actually just shy of 6. As both clocks are RF controlled, that means I must simply have been too sleepy to even read the clock! Oh well.

T-storms are on the weather forecast for the afternoon, so I'd better unplug my computer before I leave.

Have a good one, guys and gals...

Morning all,

In a previous life I worked as a "trouble-shooter" for a major industrial (mainly) diesel engine manufacture. One trick I used to find suspected fuel line leaks,(when air gets into the system) was just to put a thin layer of talcum powder on the fuel lines.(and some times on the pump it's self) That tends to show up any minor leaks. As an aside somebody brought a large horse box to us one day. I would not start when hot. All sorts of "experts" had theories! After the normal checks, I chucked a bucket of cold water over it...........& it started. Seems the body builder had forgotten to allow any fresh air to that side of the engine..................and "Warranty was Rejected" (my favourite saying!)

Enough of that, Mike I hope it gets sorted soon,

Otherwise enjoy your day folks

Trev

• Like 1

Morning All,

Another nice morning here - but didn't sleep too well. Too warm!

Mike's car troubles certainly sound like an air leak somewhere in the system. My parents had a similar thing on their old Zafira when it was a few months old. I must admit though, I didn't know it was still possible to hand prime modern diesels.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, I had to put a coat on to walk the dog today it was raining how dare it. Only one more get up before the holiday and then a trip to Carlisle Saturday to return DD1 to the family.

Morning all! Yeah, definitely sounds like an air leak! :tomato: (tries to look like he knows what he's talking about and fails miserably). Unfortunately I know next to nothing about car engines... I always fancied getting an MG Midget to do up but aside from having nowhere to do it, I would have got completely stuck with the engine...

Feeling fairly tired, it's been a busy week and I'm not getting a break tonight either! Tomorrow will be interesting - I'm going to a conference in Glasgow as support for your Cabinet Secretary then a black tie dinner in the evening.

Have a good Thursday all!

Morning all! :good:

Off to stock up on provisions this morning.....my recent bout of illness has left my larder severely depleted.

I try to shop in local shops as I moreoft` find the Supermarkets are anything but!

e.g: I noticed that ASDA milk prices defy understanding: 1 litre of delicious Gold Top (whole Jersey milk) is a lot cheaper than 1 litre of Purple Cap (.1% and consequently with all the fat-soluble calcium and vitamins removed).....effectively, they`re selling you the watery left-overs after they`ve used the good parts of the whole-milk for other commercial processes:creams/yogurts etc.

Evidently, 'Purple' milk is THE big-seller for families with children; and there was I, thinking kids need calcium and vitamins because they`re growing so quickly. :scratchhead:

......My parents are very-aged now, so I buy them the Gold top for it`s nutritional benefits; they love it`s creamy taste and drink gallons of the stuff each week.

• Like 1

Funny I've never been a milk drinker, other than in tea or coffee. I think it was the 1/3 pint bottles we had as kids at school that put me off, or should I say it was the ones that were left somewhere to go off and that awful smell of sour milk.

Just writing the words has my nostrils twitching and head shuddering.....

• Like 1

There was a dairy at the bottom of the school grounds when I was at school and a 1/2 pint of milk cost less than a Coke. On hot Summer afternoons before setting out on the more than hour long bus/train/bus commute home I would often fortify myself with a bottle of ice cold milk drunk through a straw.

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Gold

Very boring with our milk purchases, just lots of semi-skimmed. However if a recipe suggests otherwise I'll purchase as required. It doesn't seem to be possible to make paneer (an Indian cheese) from anything other than gold top and our waffle maker recipe book suggests skimmed though I think that is for texture rather than health (bearing in mind the serving suggestions)

I suppose like Gordon the smell of "off" milk reminds me of school. We stopped having doorstep milk delivery as the milkman seemed unable to deliver milk that wasn't fresh.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

Looks like I won't have to water my mate's plants tonight. It's chucking down today!

Dave.