The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

We are off on Friday. We are taking the animal with us so I said I'll sort out his packing.

My car tax expires on Thursday but I've already got the disc, just need to affix it!

Otherwise as long as we pack the tablets anything we forget should be purchasable in Keswick.

I'm not sure what one wears in the Lake District in June? When we went in August once it seemed to be waterproof clothing.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Keswick.

I'm not sure what one wears in the Lake District in June? When we went in August once it seemed to be waterproof clothing.

Tony

Normally I'd endorse that, Tony, the perpetual rain is the reason why it is a Lake District and not a desert.....but at the moment it is bright sunshine with temperature in the mid to high twenties C.

Are you planning any railway related events while up here - if so, then there's not a huge amount to do - R&ER, L&H, and the Duchess arriving in Carlisle on Saturday. There's a steam deprture South from Lancaster next Wednesday heading for the S&C (so will also turn up in Carlisle later) via Preston and Hellifield. If you do manage to get to that one at Lancaster (dep is around 08.00) I will probably be on the end of the platform for a look. Also if you get down to Morecambe, don't forget The Train Shop in Pedder St, which is open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday only - the only other model shop in this area of any note is Mike's C&M models in Carlisle - Mike of course is 87.029 of this parish and he is always pleased to meet other RMWebbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really don't know what we have planned. I think Aditi just wants a break. I think Robbie may be planning a meet with Abi!

Originally the plan was to go up via Leicester and collect Matthew so he could also have a break over the long Bank Holiday weekend. He hasn't got any lectures that week but does have coursework deadlines and needs access to the university library, so at the moment he isn't going to accompany us but who knows. Matthew is having a day off from study and has gone with a couple of friends to Trent Bridge to watch the Test Match. I did send a text asking if he was wearing a sun hat!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Waterproof trousers that convert into shorts, and lots of immediate dry "technical" t-shirts, Tony. And a lightweight waterproof jacket!

I won't need to do any shopping then...

• RMweb Gold

I expect our weekend is going to be garden based if it's dry enough and cool enough. Most of today has been lost due to the car expiring while at the electrical shop in Reading - mind you the AA were there within an hour and went straight to the heart of the matter ('there's no fuel reaching the engine') so at least I now know how to hand prime a Peugeot 407 diesel which hasn't got such silly refinements as an electric fuel pump. Anyway car is now at the menders - which was within a couple of miles of where it failed to start, so that will probably be part of tomorrow up-uggered as well (if they can pinpoint the fault - which seems to be a pinprick air leak in the fuel system).

When we arrived home daughter asked 'what was wrong with it?' so I thought it better to avoid technical jargon and stuck to 'it wouldn't 'kin' well start'

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

When we arrived home daughter asked 'what was wrong with it?' so I thought it better to avoid technical jargon and stuck to 'it wouldn't 'kin' well start'

The chaps in Aditi's office were discussing one of their cars. The tickover on a (fairly recent) Peugeot diesel was fluctuating between 1500 and 2000 rpm. Aditi told them she hoped it wasn't an engine management system fault and went back to her spreadsheet.

• Like 3

Morning, late this am as it is Memorial Day and we're having people over.

Whatever I say about Murdoch he is right on the button with what we ex-pats want in America.

The Fox Soccer channels also includes UK local news (which the BBC most certainly do NOT over here, they just repeat the usual International stories which I can find anywhere).

Further, yesterday they showed the highlights of the England/West Indies Test - which is a first for me (unless you count an obscure Indian channel which suffers from appalling quality) in full glorious HD!

After that I watched an interesting football match between Cheltenham and Crewe. Crewe looked very good (apart from one forward and even he made the second goal).

Pretty damn good I'd say.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry about BBC News Pete - it's rubbish here too. The local news we get isn't 'local' because we can't get a decent signal off the transmitter that carries the bit of the BBC which (occasionally) covers our area and teh BBC evening news programmes seem to be written and edited by semi-literates (they probably learnt that on Radio 4) who work entirely to some peculiar sort of social or political agenda. Mind you the international news on BBC4 some evenings isn't bad.

As for comparisons with Murdoch well I don't think SKy news is too bad and (they weren't Murdoch controlled stations) I thought some of the tv news in Aus was of a very good standard and far more informative than the BBC has been for years.

• RMweb Gold

If we wanted a digital terrestrial signal here we either needed a big aerial pointing at London or a normal sized one pointing at Bluebell Hill ( BBC Kent&East Sussex) over the River Thames. The BBC seem to include us in the London Area and now the analogue signal is gone can get a perfect picture from Crystal Palace. Using our Sky satellite dish, for some reason Sky have deemed us to be in BBC East so the default BBC local news (I do know how to get the other local news) tells us all about cabbage rustling in Norfolk. South Essex only gets a mention if some crime takes place in Basildon.

Using Sky we can get news from all sorts of places. Though I did think one major news channel (not a UK one) was 24 hour satire but my more politically aware son convinced me they were serious.

Lots of sport receivable on satellite. Apparently I could be watching men's lacrosse from the US if I wanted to at the moment. I am however just watching the post match discussion from Trent Bridge.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I went out for a walk in glorious sunshine. Stood on the cliff top and watched the sea fret roll in. Quite spectacular but now it's cool and damp.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A sudden thought - since we are in Wheeltappers, at the fag end of the menu page, shouldn't this section be called "Early Rizlas"?

Roll up, roll up. Come and inhale deeply of the waffle/reasoned discussion of Early Rizlas.

Take a tip from me you may want to filter quite a lot out but sometimes you have to take it full strength.

Tar very much.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by eldavo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I went out for a walk in glorious sunshine. Stood on the cliff top and watched the sea fret roll in. Quite spectacular but now it's cool and damp.

Just had a tremendous thunderstorm here, really heavy rain, nearby lightning strikes.

Just had a tremendous thunderstorm here, really heavy rain, nearby lightning strikes.

It seemed to have skipped over London. It got a bit dark here but thinned out pretty quickly. Some clouds to the east over the Medway but still sunny and hot in Central London and the boring borough.

• RMweb Gold

It was even sunny at the other end of Benfleet according to friends. The atmospheric disturbance was severe enough to take out the satellite signal for a few minutes.

Pete, no tornado today but there was a Typhoon recently.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Funny enough, I think we had a Typhoon pass over us on Tuesday evening last. It made a not too loud sonic boom though there was similar activity reported in the Highlands on the same day.

Worked up at Whitrope today, packing the southern end to ensure it's level for the imminent arrival of the Mk2 brake and LEV-4. Hot work it was too. I'd parked the car in the shade but when I got in to come home, it was still reading 30o! (That's 86 to you, Pete!)

Tomorrow, I plan to start painting the platform edge although I think they weather may voice an objection later on!

Dave.