The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest Max Stafford

Just found out that legendary session guitarist, Billy Strange, croaked it a couple of months back. Shame as I like a lot of his '60s stuff. As he arranged this particular little gem, I think it's a good tune to remember him by! B-)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

re MRJ 215

Oh?

Have read of the thread - I'm not sure if 'amusement' is the correct word or 'frustration' yet again with people who write about things they don't wholly understand and get them wrong (or is that 'not correct'?) as a result.

Off to Railex in the morning so I'll be a late attendee on here although an early riser to get there and park near the door and have breakfast before the show opens.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Guest Max Stafford

I'm not sure if what I've read is the same thing, but I noticed in my mate's briefly skimmed through copy that on the letters page there appeared to be the continuation of a rather 'flirtatious' bit of correspondence about somebody's model of a Stanier(?) 2-6-4T.

I think the response which I read in this issue was probably the most diplomatically written (but nonetheless) "f*** off" which I've ever encountered!

Dave.

Morning all,

Up at early o'clock cause the CEO's paying a flying visit & someone (me) has to conduct the "grand $10 tour) bu**erd my Sunday lie in! Grrrr.

Enjoy your day folks

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Bad luck Trev

A few days of sun here then heavy sea fret. Typical

.Do I watch the England game or Eurovision?

Probably the same result too.

Told you so.

Both came second last.

I know it was a 'friendly' but a good tip for the future would be to keep possession.

Preferably play with it in the opponent's half.

Not sure about the strip either.

I miss Wogan's commentary, too.

• RMweb Premium

"probably the most diplomatically written (but nonetheless) "f*** off" which I've ever encountered!"

If I have time I'll try to look it up.

I often have need of such things.

So do I.

Morning all - eight oktas in the sky, but 17°C and forecast to be a pleasant day. This will most likely continue tomorrow, but Tuesday will then see an increasing chance of rain.

Morning all!

There was definite haar when I went to bed last night, but it's lifted a bit since then, though I still can't see Fife from my window.

Pete - similar story here, unleaded petrol has dropped from £6.52 a gallon to £6.00 a gallon over the past few weeks, though I think we're due another 13p/gallon tax rise soon. Still, if you go to the BP garages, you can still pay close to the £6.52/gallon rate... How they're staying in business I don't know, they always seem to be consistently 5% dearer than Shell, Esso and the supermarkets, surely people must realise and buy their petrol elsewhere?

Hopefully off to the beach with Jamie today if I can remember where it is... Found a little out of the way one last year, but it's very out of the way...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, glorious again - not that it matters much as I'm off to sweat it out inside at Railex with Mr. L. Dav. Oh. It will be my 63rd. attempt this year to get my modelling juices flowing, bobbing around as I am in a sea of sloth and laziness.

Have a good one!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very pleasant here.

We will be going on holiday next Friday. I expect it may rain. Though as we are going to the Lake District I suppose all that water has to come from somewhere.

I'll make use of a Tesco money off voucher before I fill up with diesel before we leave for the holiday. Aditi's Clio doesn't seem to like supermarket petrol but the diesel seems OK in my car.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a bright sunny day again with a fresh breeze. I buried Habit the rabbit yesterday his marker plant will be placed on top today. The mouse didn't rate this much attention..... A note on fuel prices there are so many company cars and vans on British roads that fuel prices are irrelevant to as they are just offset against tax. People like me who get a travel allowance are the picky ones along with those who need a car to commute to work.

• RMweb Gold

All the fuel references this morning reminded me that I promised to take the Clio to fill its petrol tank before Aditi goes to work early tomorrow. Fortunately the nearest garage (but not on her route to work) is downhill from our house.

Mick, I think one of the reasons the BP garages in this part of the world can sell fuel at higher prices is that they seem to have coffee shops and small Marks and Spencer food stores attached to them.

Morning all!

Pete - similar story here, unleaded petrol has dropped from £6.52 a gallon to £6.00 a gallon over the past few weeks, though I think we're due another 13p/gallon tax rise soon. Still, if you go to the BP garages, you can still pay close to the £6.52/gallon rate... How they're staying in business I don't know, they always seem to be consistently 5% dearer than Shell, Esso and the supermarkets, surely people must realise and buy their petrol elsewhere?

Hopefully off to the beach with Jamie today if I can remember where it is... Found a little out of the way one last year, but it's very out of the way...

It's been several years since I've had to buy gas in the UK and then I used to astound locals over here with the cost of filling a Golf GTI.

The thing is we pay the same. The difference (which is a lot) is how gasoline is treated for tax purposes......

When I was in Glasgow we used to go to Croy Beach, Ayrshire on the west coast. Incredible beach! Park on the sands.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Without knowing what exactly this may be, I can tell it cannot be the most pleasant of things, can it?

I'm sure you wouldn't like to get haar and mist confused :no: .

Morning all (just), bit of a lie in for me today after a 3am finish on the Drain Train at Althorpe Park, I woke up to the sound of church bells and small children playing in the street... I thought for a moment I was in some long forgotten Ealing Studios film from the mid '50s, a very pleasant way to greet the day. And no, that wasn't a GWR 14xx Tank that just waddled down the road outside the house...!

I hope all those who are at Railex today have a good day out and enjoy spending their pocket money, I'm already wondering what goodies Mike / The Stationmaster will have tucked under his arm when he returns home to the Thames Valley.... something suitably 'Western' no doubt.... ;) . As I sit here typing this I'm washing down one of Sue's homemade cherry cakes with a nice cuppa.... can Sunday mornings get any better...?

• RMweb Premium

Just made it in time for a ' good morning ' .

I've been out and done the shopping , so the fridge , freezer and cupboards are stocked for a few days ,

filled up with petrol at Tesco's , £52-00 to fill a modest sized tank on a Seat Ibiza , I can remember when that

ammounted to a months wages let alone a week's .

Time to get a bit of lunch , then the Grand Prix for a couple of hours .

Have a good one .

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Been absent for a few days due to all sorts of things getting in the way - Dr appointments, and all sorts of other stuff that stopped me from logging on - I'll do better soon, honest.

I've got a date for returing to work, subject to clearance by the surgeon - 9th July seems favourite, so should have a few weeks with Lily the puppy before I get back to the grind. According to the breeder, she's progressing well, and has put on a lot of weight now, and we're down in Berkshire soon for a long(ish) break, with a couple of social visits to see Lily thrown into the mix before fianlly collecting her.

There's far too much to comment on here over the last few days, so I'll just add some general good wishes to those who are well, and get well wishes to this who aren't.

Pete - I used to drive down to Croy beach as well, it was a good place for doing handbrake turns and skidding about in the sand - then freewheeling "uphill" on the Electric Brae which used to be done by a fair percentage of the drivers at that time - ah happy days.

It's going to take days to catch up with all the threads that I'm following, and I shudder to think what it will be like after I've been missing for a couple of weeks!

Regards to All

Stewart