The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Here's something those of you with a soft spot for the German railways might like:

I bet Gordon would enjoy making the track (for a model) as shown in the 10min 05 to 11min section of the video.

• RMweb Premium

Smashing stuff - it's nearly 9 years since I was last there (and only to change trains on that occasion) although in a past existence I was quite a regular visitor in order to meet the DB folk at Stephensonstrasse (I always used to stay in Mainz back then).

And I don't know about new ICE's - I can remember seeing the brand new E03s a good few years earlier and before they became 103s!

Deutsche Bahn still do have their offices at Stephensonstraße, but have also taken up various other locations, such as the Adlerwerke complex near Galluswarte and the "Silver Tower" skyscraper in the city centre. Did you have a look at E 04 20 which is plinthed at Stephensonstraße?

• RMweb Gold

Deutsche Bahn still do have their offices at Stephensonstraße, but have also taken up various other locations, such as the Adlerwerke complex near Galluswarte and the "Silver Tower" skyscraper in the city centre. Did you have a look at E 04 20 which is plinthed at Stephensonstraße?

Only briefly in passing - I always seemed to be rushing to get the DB offices or rushing in the opposite direction to catch the train, one of the perils of (usually) going to/from meetings by train seemed to be that I was always a bit tight for time. Once Eurostar was running I stopped going by air unless it was somewhere a bit awkward to get to such as Sweden and although I went by air on outward trips to Switzerland everything else was normally by train as it was much more interesting than flying and not much slower; several years of attending European timetable conferences was definitely a good way of seeing different rail networks!

• Like 1

Evenin' all,

All this talk of FEBs has got me well and truly in the mood for one - and by a strange quirk of coincidence the annual 'Jolly Boy's Works Outing' â„¢ to the GCR Diesel Gala tomorrow will include FEBs all round, no doubt washed down with copious amounts of strong tea. The nosh up we had last time certainlywent down a treat, it doesn't hurt once in a while does it!! I'm under strict instruction from the management to steer well clear of the bookshop on Loughborough station though.... whatever can she mean...?

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I occasionally enjoy watching this:

If your broadband is up to it, it is almost (but not quite) real time.

Its much darker in Germany than it is here!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Looking like this is set to be a sunny Sunday, though I did read there is a growing risk of thunderstorms over the next several days. However, temperatures will mostly remain in the mid- to upper 20s. We'll be heading home later on - probably some time after twelve.

Do have a pleasant Sunday, whatever you're up to! :)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

It's grey here but……….… are you ready for this……

..… are you sitting down….…

……. it's not raining!!

I know, I may sound delusional* but it's true.

I hope to get to the Middlesbrough exhibition later, all being well.

* well, more delusional than usual.

Morning all!

Still half asleep but will wake up in time to drive back up to Glasgow in a couple of hours.

Went shopping in Metro Centre yesterday but didn't get to Modelzone (remember when they were Beatties - the one in Northumberland Street in Newcastle used to have an LGB railway running around the tops of cabinets and in bridges across the aisles at near-ceiling height). Spent more time in clothes shops getting the littl'un kitted out.

I understand there's yet more gardening to do when I get up to Glasgow. How slow do you think I can get away with driving up the M74? ;)

Enjoy your Sunday everyone and I'll be thinking jealously of anyone having a FEB. (though I think that should be bacon, sausage, egg, mushrooms, onions, tattie scones, fried bread, tea and toast - add black and white pudding and possibly haggis for a FSB).

BoD, I think I just might have been teleported to the UK! The sky is grey, the streets/ground are wet. It's not actually raining but it is cold and miserable looking. The only difference is that there are NO model railway shows!

Fried tattie scones or fried soda scones. Sheer heaven!......

Fond memories of my childhood summers in Glasgow.

Grey and overcast and sported out. First West Ham and then Chelsea. A great day for London clubs, even though it cost my team their place in Europe next season.

Morning all,

Bright and Sunny (so far) Off to nearest "Supermarket" to get a couple of weeks supplies, including some of the best chicken breasts found anywhere! ....................So roast dinner today!

What ever you're up to, enjoy. (Mike, I think the minimum speed on motorways is 28mph.......well unless it's changed)

Trev

Morning all,

Bright and Sunny (so far) Off to nearest "Supermarket" to get a couple of weeks supplies, including some of the best chicken breasts found anywhere! ....................So roast dinner today!

What ever you're up to, enjoy. (Mike, I think the minimum speed on motorways is 28mph.......well unless it's changed)

Trev

Thanks Trev! Aggers, Blowers and co on the radio or gardening. Tough decision...

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, just waiting for the boys to come over to get the shed erected - it took me around 4 hours yesterday to get some sub assemblies ready. Think a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of the sky with a picture of the Sahara desert for reference, makes Ikea items seem easy. And - Tesco best bacofoil is thick in comparison to the panels of this thing. At least it's only to sling some junk in, so as long as I can keep most of the weather out I'll be happy.

Don't think the neighbours will be though, I can see it acting like a drum when it's lashing down with rain!

Fried tattie scones or fried soda scones. Sheer heaven!......

No wonder deep fried Mars bars are considered gourmet eating north of Winchester....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all ,

dry but dreary here , recovering from yesterdays trip to Bracknell , but no regrets about going ,

kept an eye out for you Gordon but there were to many tall blokes to come to a decision which

one might be you .

Now I need to rethink some areas of our layout having seen some of the work on display .

Have a relaxing day all .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

Yes, sorry I missed you Mike. It really was a flying visit for me, so doubt if I was there for more than an hour. I wanted to see the West Ham game and had a few minor domestic jobs to fit in around the game. I've also made a conscious decision to try and not buy stuff unless I really need it, so tend to stay away from the trade stands. One thing that was a bit of a pain was the road works on the A329 which backed up into other areas of the town, but surprisingly there were still several empty parking places, even at 12.00.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

grey day in our patch of the Thames Valley but we are promised sunshine for tomorrow (according to the Met Office).

One reason I steered clear of Bracknell is the current rash of roadworks and Knowl Hill was great fun - an exhibition with 6 layouts plus part of one and 2 trade stands plus a few society type things and the RMweb 'roadshow' and we were there for 2 hours without getting bored and I managed to spend just shy of 50 quid with not a single item of rolling stock to take home. Any potential Railex shopping must be considered with care during the coming week - I like Gordon's decision regarding trade stands!

Management have cancelled today's FEB - and still expects its veg patch to be rotavated :O