The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

You're probably right, Gordon.

The 'Republicans' have a habit of spraying green paint over anything in English, too.

A strange view of things when the people bringing money into the Principality are predominately English.

If the Republicans achieve their aims, I don't know how their air force is going to communicate.

Anyway, that's probably on the political no-no list.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

i won't be in Essex for the Jubilee celebrations but there won't be any planters going round the street sign in our road, mainly as there isn't a sign! Though a big red Parcel Force van has just (as usual) found us!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

. Today is DD2's last day of compulsory school as she was born in the same year as I was 40 I am feeling very old today.

Matthew was born a week before my fortieth birthday. By the time it was my birthday he was in a special care baby unit. My mother in law brought in a cake which the nursing staff seemed to like. I probably feel old but I try not to "think" old!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

shopping day today so a bit late after the visits to Waitrose and Tesco. Next stop on today's plan is the strimmer (if I can remember the right choke setting for starting it - Mrs Stationmaster has 'tidied away' the handbook) and an attack on the green jungle which we laughingly refer to as the wild part of the back garden.

And I'm not going to ExpoEM tomorrow - don't like fighting Bracknell traffic at the best of times and I'll be off to Railex next weekend - so it will just be a trip up to Nudge's effort at Knowl Hill (which it would be very rude for me o miss as in my case it's more or less just up the road) but I might have to start the rotavator before I'm allowed out.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Been off parade for a couple of days, as on Wednesday I had a hospital appointment early on and had to get a bus, then spent nearly three hours hanging about in outpatients and X-ray before seeing the consultant just before 12 noon - I checked with one or two others waiting, and they all had the same appointment time as me (!?). Progressing well now, and last review in six weeks. At last I was cleared for driving as well, so celebrated by going out yesterday for a haircut and a visit to a garden centre - amazing how the mundane can feel like a great treat when you're stuck to the house.

I've caught up, and it seems that quite a lot of the news is positive, which is great.

I'm off now to have a look at some layout and railway related topics, so

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 3

Book has just arrived DD. Was expecting Nanny's knitting and got a perfectly presented Harrods gift service. Immaculate and the book is great. Made me want to track down prints of several pics to adorn the walls of my railway room. I can't afford nameplates, so prints could be a good alternative....

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear of your progress Stewart - it all seems like a big adventure once you are allowed to get a bit more mobile doesn't it. After my pulmonary embolism the Doctor allowed me an extra 25-50 yards distance walked from home per week 'as long as you feel up to it' - great sense of achievement actually walking the 300 yards to the surgery! Anyway hope all continues on a positive path.

• Like 1

Late on parade as usual so a belated 'morning all'... ;)

Glad things are on the up Stewart, hope it all turns out ok.

Aside form a wet patch around Norton Bridge it was glorious sunshine (if a bit cold) all the way from the lofty hights of Bardon Hill to the sprawl of Basford Hall Yard at Crewe today, towing a poorly 66 518 with a shiny blue 66 419. Had a nice 'moment' just north of Lichfield TV when a northbound Voyager came alongside for about a mile then rapidly accelerated away from me, a few jaunty 'toots' were exchanged which was nice, despite the vast acres of four track mainline on the West Coast it's not often that you do get the chance to 'race' each other!

Another moment to bank in the old memory came when I was walking from the yard up past the diesel depot to Crewe station, I could hear the familiar rumble of two Sulzers at the far end by the old fuelling point and the mental time machine kicked in for a minute or two.... it was so refreshing to hear something reassuringly 'old school'. Shunting a rake of charter stock, 47 769 made a few more familiar noises, I must admit there was a time when I'd have ignored it or mouthed a few choice swear words in it's general direction but it tugged at the old heart strings a bit and made me think that sometimes, we don't alwats appreciate what we once had. Alas there was not an English Electric Type 4 in sight where once they'd have been so common, but a wander round the station had me imagining one or two of them dotted around the place, whistling under that fine overall roof like a good 'un.

Arrival back home brought me back down to terra firma though.... one of the cats had seen fit to miss the litter tray by several feet and apparently it was 'my turn' to clean it up!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

See you there then Mike. It's only five miles or so down the road, so would be rude not to.....

I'll keep an eye out for you Gordon , not sure I'll recognise though , unless you're in one of your posh motors

that is .

Just look for a tall, bald geezer. That narrows it down a bit.....and I'll be in my own old banger I'm afraid, nothing exotic. Playing snooker till 12.00 so won't be around until lunchtime.

Where will you be? On a layout?

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone heard how the build up to the Olympics is going?

I haven't heard it mentioned in the news for .... oh ....... at least five minutes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just look for a tall, bald geezer. That narrows it down a bit.....and I'll be in my own old banger I'm afraid, nothing exotic. Playing snooker till 12.00 so won't be around until lunchtime.

Where will you be? On a layout?

No Gordon , just a general punter trying to pick up ideas , and not spend to much .

I'm a short @rse with grey hair and glasses and I'll be with my mate whos just over 6' and not a lot

of hair . :rolleyes:

Just looked back at the Eggheads photo , so should recognise you now .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

"got a perfectly presented Harrods gift service"

Well, it seemed like the battle of the PO brown tape to me.

Much easier on the kitchen table.

A kind friend has now donated a further office full of used padded envelopes so that's good.

• RMweb Gold

Well, it seemed like the battle of the PO brown tape to me.

Will the others be jealous if I mention I got grey and brown tape on my package?

The car was returned late this afternoon. As well as not costing me anything it came back clean, inside and out. Robbie will be most confused when he gets a trip down to the park tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll be saying bye bye to my club modules. The club chairman and his brother are coming to collect them. I'm not giving up trains just the club side of the hobby.

• Like 1

I normally use grey tape (duct, duck) on large parcels because it's much stronger.

As with padded envelopes, supplies had run out (in the whole area!) now replenished.

I've spent quite a few hours now, packing.

Probably going to Kidderminster next week to collect more stuff to pack.

I can say, sincerely, that packing is something I disliked before but have now grown to hate with an intensity exceeded only by ....

Today's game = finish the sentence.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Just got myself a cup of coffee and am now easing into the day, so to speak. There appears to have been some rain last night, but I am confident the weather will, in fact, permit us to have the barbecue we have been planning for. Oh, and did I mention I would love to have a model railway shop like the one I stopped by at for a purchase yesterday near my home? :D

In any case, have a good one everyone...

Distraught to find out late that Donald "Duck" Dunn bassist with Booker T and the MGs died in Tokyo. A schoolfriend of Steve Cropper he played on many significant recordings incl. "Green Onions", "Hold on, I'm Coming" - Sam and Dave, "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding; just about every vital recording on the STAX label in the sixties. Mostly familiar in the UK due to his longish spell in Eric Clapton's band.

Often seen on stage smoking a meershaum pipe whilst playing!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic