The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

.......It also finally ended my last foray into the world of "clubs" - I really don't like them but wanted to give it a go, never again......

I`ve not had much luck with clubs either: in the past my experiences (especially with aviation, dog-sport and engineering clubs) have been rather disappointing: with me "more-often than-not" feeling underwhelmed with 'local attitudes' (both other members and their partners) and 'committee politics'........although IMO, railway modelling as a hobby has often seemed less narrow-minded and more accepting......but I`m really not a 'joiner' by nature; and have always been an "outsider": so now, in my independent latter-years, I`m not now in membership of any clubs. :beee:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Well after a clear night the sun is now hiding again but I think it will reappear before too long. I'm not much of a joiner and never have been although I was a member at Pendon for a few years until work took me away; but RMweb is something different which has encouraged me and I've even ventured to a model railway club (but not joined) as a result of getting to know folk on here!

And the way things are going I'd better get in touch with DD about some of the books - trouble I'm sure I've already got a copy of one I'm thinking of buying so have spent two days looking for it and not yet found it - so am I mistaken or just plain myopic?

Debs,

I am highly critical as to how we are portrayed in the mainstream press BUT having seen at first hand membership of some clubs that I have been a member of I found myself agreeing with the small minded, lack of social skills, Mummy centred, egoistic inward thinking mentality....

I suppose I was lucky in the way I was brought up to be independent, clean, with problem solving skills. My folks shunted me off to a small Austrian town near the Italian border when I was 12, alone and by a variety of trains from Essex via London, Paris, Basel, and Innsbruck. I Iearned a lot and very quickly!

I was checking HM Queens countries visited on the BBC site and have actually visited more different countries than she has and without having "my hand held". Being well travelled is critical in my view to producing well-balanced individuals (although I have had my moments.........)

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all , back after a two day absence due to watching F1 practice and then other

things cropping up to make computer time a bit sparse .

Lovely day here at the moment , I even ventured out in shorts and no jumper .

Poor Lewis , he drives to perfection and again the team let him down , should be interesting

seeing him fight back from this needless disaster though .

• RMweb Gold

I have met a few people on my travels whose minds had most definitely not been broadened by the experience. Their sole reason seemed to be to find fault with countries or their inhabitants. Aditi always finds something of interest, even when stuck in roadworks in Denmark we got a lecture about the soil exposed by the diggers!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have met a few people on my travels whose minds had most definitely not been broadened by the experience. Their sole reason seemed to be to find fault with countries or their inhabitants.

Tony

That reminds me of a holiday I spent in Tunisia back in the early 1970s. the hotel was a part modernised old one and I luckily had a room in the old part - proper French colonial style adapted for North Africa - but the fun bit was the food. Ever day the menu consisted of dishes from various parts of the the vicnity - one would be French, another local(ish), another 'international' and possibly German or even Italian. The folk on the adjacent table were always moaning about 'foreign food' which was a bit odd as the catering was excellent but one day they were elated when 'Shepherd's Pie' appeared on the menu and, rather stupidly we on the next table thought, they ordered it - the result was hilarious because while it looked a pretty fair imitation of Shepherd's Pie it had very clearly been cooked in olive oil, and was still accompanied by a large puddle of it, quelle surprise.

I always enjoy eating abroad (well nearly always) but one of my colleagues - who was well travelled - seemed to find it difficult and apparently usually went to MacDonalds if there was one to hand. It really was a pain going to Paris with him and finding that a restaurant with a menu only in French totally befuddled someone who boasted about the number of countries he had visited, and as for him watching another of our number tucking into a goodly helping of snails ... even better entertainment.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Windy & dry, forecast is windy & wet.

Lots on round the house (again) so hopefully will get back later, but in case I don't

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I too would beg to differ Pete I have a colleague who travels the world but she takes her small perfectly closed mind with her and brings it home untouched. People who travel with an open mind tend to be balanced interesting individuals anyway would be my view.

• Like 2

Always exceptions to any "rule" but I'd still stick with it, Mick.

Going to Benidorm every year doesn't count but walking through the Pecos might.

Have a great day you lot! My wife is getting the beef ready, hmmm.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Guest Max Stafford

At first I thought Pete was describing Westminster! :mosking:

Did the weatherman forecast scattered doodlebugs or something Tony?

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Rather relieved that the trench isn't for burial or home defence purposes. It is an extension to a planting area. A couple of new roses and a rhubarb plant have been planted. I didn't do any of this so it looks right.

I took Robbie and our new camera down to the park. I think I have managed to take pictures and a video so I'll read the manual now and install the software on a PC.

I've just remembered I need to look at the Clio. It seemed to have too fast a tickover yesterday. I'd better check it. It is easy to cure just reset the ECU. It happens a couple of times a year no-one knows why. Resetting the ECU is easy, just disconnect the battery.

Mine's potting up cucumber plants.

I didn't like to tell her she has planted Dutch Cucumber seeds by mistake as it will spoil the moment when I can abuse the size of them.

(I chuckled when I read the packet - "Treat like gherkins" )

Edited by DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Having watched the Grand Prix - great race, great result - I've been sitting on the lawn tractor. While the lawn was easy enough, the paddock, which hasn't had a horse on it since November, was quite something, with "stuff" up to 3' high. The tractor struggled in places, despite using the highest cutting setting and max throttle with low speed. Still, a nice afternoon to be out in the garden.

Deb is probably going to spend the night upstairs for the first time ever in this house. Her new bedroom is looking pretty smart and she's getting all her bits and pieces together. The new tv will have to wait a day or two, but she'll have her laptop to watch DVDs if needed. Big adventure!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Man U. may be on the wane somewhat but they are still a very competent outfit. The dynamics of the chanting between the fans and their fans' reactions were in some ways as entertaining as the game itself. At the end of the game everyone thought Man U had retained the championship until the latest scores came up on the scoreboard.

I haven't seen any of the action so I may ask permission to stop up and watch MOTD.

It was just as exciting watching the City game. Technology is so fast now, that QPR fans on the terraces were cheering for Stoke before it was picked up by the commentary team. Every time a cheer went up, you knew something had happened, but had to wait for Sky to organise themselves before finding out what was going on...

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all, it's a lovely one here, especially as a couple of cold lagers are being downed as I type.

Well, the day worked out as well as I could have hoped really, A large selection of the great and the good were in attendance at Ropley today so I rounded them up and we adjourned to the office for a tete a tete. As with all things in life it's never black and white and I was made aware of several shades of grey which I certainly wasn't privy to prior to this meeting - the result for me was that it's not all right up there at the moment but it's certainly not all bad. So I've extended my 'rolling contract' for at least one more driving turn, partly influenced by the fact that we have a grave shortage of drivers on the MHR at the moment.

As it happened I had a cracking day, great weather, lots of punters, good crew, W24 'Calbourne to see and the Black 5 with a well filled 6 on - it chuffed well up the 1 in 60....

A couple of mobile phone pics:

It sure is pretty:

post-6683-0-27596900-1336934693_thumb.jpg

Getting the things ready:

post-6683-0-07984600-1336934754_thumb.jpg

• Like 8