The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Continuing grey and damp in these parts. Three day meetings eh! Can't say I really miss those. As I'm in serious chilling down mode in preparation for leaving the working community in 2011 if somebody can't complete a discussion in a day then I can't need to listen to them! Of course others might conclude it's all down to age and I can't concentrate on anything for 3 days at a stretch!

Cheers

Dave

Morning all! That looks like a costly mistake!

Look forward to seeing some pics of the progress on the miniature version, Gordon!

We're waiting on a phone call here. Dad's hernia op tomorrow was cancelled on Friday. We came back from shopping yesterday afternoon to an answerphone message to say they could take him again at the original time. So we're waiting to find out if they can, as we were too late getting back to catch them last night.

3-day meeting? who can afford that luxury these days? What can possibly be discussed that cannot be settled in a few hours?

The exceptions seem to be large detailed contracts needing clause by clause agreement (been there..... horror!), or Trade Union discussions.

Did ONCE go to a meeting where the Boss had us all standing, no chairs in the room! Yes, it was a very short meeting!

Aah, but that's just a paper plot. We haven't yet seen the rail joint where the train goes clunk!

I was on a train, in corridor of the kitchen car, making my way to the dining saloon when there was an almighty sideways jerk and the sound of crashing crockery! Every plate on the pre-set tables went crashing to the floor. Lunch was delayed some minutes whilst the tables were re-set. We did not derail, but it felt like it.

Anyway, Gordon. Well done! :icon_clap:

It may only be a paper plot but it's also the template for making the skeletal baseboard. It much more difficult trying to fabricate something in situ as it were, so once you know the paper fits, construction is very much simplified. Joining the tracks is the easy bit...

In essence all I'm doing is following a drawing so it should fit, but there is always a doubt in your mind. "What if" has crossed my mind more than once...blink.gif

Edit: DD. The spiral is the length of track right up against the back wall. It finishes where the paper starts. The board over the stairs is to the left/front of the pic and the gap is about 7' between the two. The sheet mdf is simply a prop to hold the paper in place as there is nothing to support it. All this shows is that both ends of the paper plot join both ends of the two boards together. Having proven it works, I can now stick the paper plot to a sheet or several pieces of ply and cut the shape. Simples....

post-6950-12638943931569_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hello all.

I'm rather late this morning. I woke up early and had earache so I went back to sleep. All seems better now. Matthew's exam is this afternoon and he is at home until lunchtime so I'll take him to college then. He is working hard at his studies this year. He must have filled the UCAS form in properly as he has had a couple of university offers.

Gordon. Very impressive woodwork and planning. Have you decided on what will be the inaugural train yet?

Tony

Thanks for all the sympathy about my three day meeting!

It actually isn't all that bad, and it is on-site so doesn't involve any travelling this time. I have even been able to pop back to my office for lunch.

"Meeting" is probably somewhat misleading - without going into too many details it is actually a safety audit for a very complex piece of safety critical software, hence the amount of time that has to be invested. I am thankful that my company doesn't do safety down to a price - but up to a quality.

• RMweb Gold

I had to replace a Volvo radiator once. I think ours was the model where you had to remove everything to get at the radiator. It was also the model where none of the main dealers ever kept the parts for. At least it was possible to replace the radiator though. For the Astra I used to own apparently the heater hose replacement needed a very small mechanic with very long arms!

Tony

Thanks all! Dad's pc has gone kaput so we've just taken it in for repair. Think its power supply blew and took out all the fuses in the house last week!

While we're out I'm pricing up a replacement hard drive for my iMac. Unfortunately, though only a year old, I've filled the 250GB hard drive. Looking to get a 1.5TB drive for it. The computer itself is excellent, I just think Apple were a little stingy with their hard drives!

Dd - I did consider that option but the majority of the stuff is photos and music, which both iTunes and iPhoto seem to need to be on the computer's hard drive for them to remember they're there. I remember having some music on an external hard drive, and when I started iTunes once and forgot to turn on he hard drive, it wiped the songs from my iPod and I had the devil of a time getting them back again!! (That was when I was still using a PC too, rather than a Mac).

The other problem with DVDs is that they do degrade over time. Not to mention that they can be lost. Or chewed. Jamie seems to have developed a taste for DVD discs... :D :blink: