The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

My chodhood was bad too but nothing to do with fish-paste sandwiches.......if it was was more funny I wouldn't be the persod I am today.

Seriously, I never agreed with the: "School: The Best Years of our Lives" propaganda either...I hated the place(s) with a vehemence.

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

My chodhood was bad too but nothing to do with fish-paste sandwiches.......if it was was more funny I wouldn't be the persod I am today.

Seriously, I never agreed with the: "School: The Best Years of our Lives" propaganda either...I hated the place(s) with a vehemence.

Best, Pete.

My dear-sister (whom was 5 years senior to me) suffered the agonies/shortcomings of the British 'secondary-schools' born of the mid/late 60`s........they were for teens not (thought) fit for a Grammar school education......disgracefully, the lack-lustre government and faculty attitudes to such secondary pupils, have negatively impacted and 'coloured' her adult-life (as surely countless other baby-boomers born in the 50`s) ever since.

My parents, seeing how state-education was going rapidly downhill, scrimped and saved and provided me with a (private) preparatory and collegiate education.........a privileged-start, for which I am eternally appreciative.

On our way back and the deed is done. Sworn to secrecy about the result, but had we been one team earlier, we would have had Charles and Camilla on our team. They just happened to arrive at the same time as us. Got some pics of all of us to post tomorrow.

I'm quite taken with wearing make up........

• Like 2

On our way back and the deed is done. Sworn to secrecy about the result, but had we been one team earlier, we would have had Charles and Camilla on our team. They just happened to arrive at the same time as us. Got some pics of all of us to post tomorrow.

You`re now a celebrity-luvvie......"daaaaar-links!" :laugh:

Do please let us have a broadcast-date for our diary, Gordon. :D

• RMweb Gold

One of the schools in the London Borough I worked for was celebrating some big anniversary (centuries!) and they had a film made. The headmaster(a follicularly challenged egghead) refused make up and much to everyone's amusement he appeared to just be a glowing blob.

Guest Max Stafford

I think it may finally have stopped raining outside, I can't hear it on the conservatory roof. I'm Back to work at 4PM on Saturday, so currently partaking of a couple of Thwaites' Wainwright ales to lift the mood slightly.

My time off has gone rather quickly but I was able to get a few useful jobs done here and up at Whitrope. I really do enjoy working up there - simple work done at a reasonable pace with time for a bit of a laugh. Even working alone yesterday was nice in the silence broken only by birdsong, wind in the spruce trees and the occasional passing car.

the nicest thing about the kind of work I do up there is that you know exactly what's expected of you in the task and there's a visible result at the end with which you obtain a sense of achievement and satisfaction.

I often wish I'd been born into an earlier, more honest era where a man could work like this in that kind of place and still make a living even though it wasn't a land of milk and honey

I guess I just wasn't cut out for the present day, but hey, them's the breaks; you get what you get and that's it!

Dave.

• Like 4

Guest Max Stafford

I think I probably knew that thirty-odd years ago Mick, I just never realised fully until lately! Now I really do wish I'd gone down that road a long time ago.

I used to enjoy helping out at my dad's friend's farm when I was fifteen but I never got the chance to take it further. I've always liked the juxtaposition of the railway and agriculture that once existed in rural areas and the Waverley was one of the finest examples of this; virtually every worker in the upland sections had either a smallholding or allotment of his own or sidelined in agriculture to some degree.

'Just a Few Lines' by the late Kit Milligan, formerly of Riccarton Junction provides a marvellous illustration of this way of living and working.

You can purchase it online from the WRHA website. The simple words of a humble working man and all the warmer and more enjoyable for it.

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

It's been a fairly warm night and we're at about 17 as I'm typing this. Given the mugginess we've been having yesterday, I'd sure welcome the rain and thunder that's been predicted for today.

I pieced together several worksheets last night and am hoping we'll now be able to move on in the curriculum. In any case, and as I said before - come pay day, I'll be treating myself to a nice new loco by way of a reward!

Be back later...

Morning All,

Well, yesterday afternoon turned out to be a scorcher! It touched 30°C at one point, but was incredibly muggy. As Dominik mentioned, rain and thunder is forecast for later. Hopefully, I can get home and mow the grass before it rains!

On the subject of fish paste - Eeeruggh! Anyone remember Shiphams paste?

Interesting that the Olympic/ Titanic conspiracy theory was mentioned. As I remember it, the story goes that they were switched after Olympics collision with HMS Hawke due to the damage to Olympic being so extensive that she would have been written off otherwise. Titanic was completed and made to look like Olympic - and Olympic was "patched up" and put back into service. The damage to Olympic was extensive (she had a bent propshaft) but I still don't buy the theory. It's too far fetched.

Have a good day everyone...

Morning all,

Well another Friday arrives...I wonder if on the whole I might have had a better life if I had chosen a different career path? Or a simpler life..........Hmmm. Oh well, best make the most of what I got.

Enjoy your day folks.

Trev

Some serious stuff on ERs this morning.

Personally, I would love to have been involved in exploring the American West - at least the empty bits.

Well done Gordon! Have you been offered a series?

Meanwhile, here is today's wildlife snap.

It's cheating a bit because it's not actually in the garden but taken from about 70 yards away.

post-7041-0-57476700-1336716704.jpg

• Like 5

Good morning all.

I agree with Gordon, the smell of greasepaint is addictive. I did some amdram and opera/operetta at school and a few years after school and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was lucky enough to go to private schools and although the education was excellent, it was in the days of corporal punishment so with some teachers, although I was not frequently punished, their classes were lived through in fear and dread.

Regrettably "Eggheads" is not featured on our TV so I will not get to see Gordon's team aired, so hope to eventually to get a report on here.

Weather remains balmy for this time of the year (early Winter) 21C today

Edited by DonBradley
  • Like 1

Anyone have a redundant mini-drill stand?

(The ones where you attach the dremel and it acts as a bench drill)

I have (lots) of buffers and connectors to replace on Richard's stock and I don't feel like paying top price for it.

£10 + postage on offer.

Morning all......Back to the our southern softy home and away from the cold and wet north. Dog tired by the time we got home last night after four and a half hours on a Pendolino to Euston and then another half an hour on the FGW to Reading.

Where do all these people come from?

Train out of Paddington at 21.45 last night was heaving and by the time we left, every seat was taken. Thanks God we got off at Reading, as a whole group of loud and happy rugby lads were off to Bristol and Bath for a long boozy weekend...and then a whole crowd of young girls wearing next to nothing greeted us at Reading station.

Not sure which group I would have preferred. ;)

Well, here you are a team photo. Muggins, my brother, daughter, SiL and niece. First shock of the day is how tall Chris is. I knew he was a big lad, but no idea he was around 6'2". Had a chat with him about railways. He was a fireman and often worked out of Hornsey, so we talked about Coffee Pots (J50's) and the old days. Lovely guy, as they all were. It may be several months until the show airs as they recorded four shows each day for 10 days.

post-6950-0-80484800-1336719977_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Sorry guys, sharp intake of breath as I forgot to mention Andy who is my niece's boyfriend, but DD beat me to it. You have to take six team members, just in case one gets taken ill etc. Andy had all the fun without any of the trepidation. Yes, that's Dave who took over from CJ.

Don, the guy next to me is my brother, hence the family hairstyle.

I really can't praise them all enough. It was a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere that couldn't help but make you feel at ease. After five minutes I completely forgot it was a TV recording.

• Like 1