The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Blimey!

I've just had a count up:

TT 3mm:

8 Locos

36 Coaches

58 Wagons.

Mostly boxed.

I've had a look on Evilbay Completed Items and some of the prices realised are incredible.

Also, similar items fetch wildly differing sums.

Morning All,

That's the luck of the draw DD - I must admit to never having been much of an Ebay fan. I've bought a couple of things on there when they haven't been available elsewhere, but for selling I don't think it is worth the hassle. However, I know many would disagree.

The weather is quite nice here this morning. Unfortunately, the weekend was a write off weather wise. Still, I did get some renovation done in the spare room. Well - it was more demolition than renovation, but it will have to look worse before it looks better. I have removed some rather dark and dingy plywood covering from the Dormer window and will prepare it for insulation and Gyproc. Interestingly enough - the plywood was put up in 1958 - the builder signed the wall before he applied it. I think I'll probably do the same!

Have a good day everyone...

"for selling I don't think it is worth the hassle"

I tend to agree.

Unfortunately they hold the lead in on-line auctions.

Probably cheaper than real life auctions even after listing fees, final value fees and PayPal fees.

But you're right - what a hassle.

It will be my last port of call for Richard's estate.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It was rather pleasant here earlier but is getting cloudier now.

If I had been logged on earlier the Hymek Dd requested information about was one of the few locomotives I could have identified. I probably spent too much time looking at Triang catalogues when I was young. There also was a bigger version (O gauge?).

Tony

• RMweb Gold

"There also was a bigger version (O gauge?)"

Real life?

That would probably have been the biggest version. Definitely not for your compost bin,

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a grey , wet and chilly south west , I pity the bank holiday visitors today , ( not ) ,

A quiet day I think , will definatley not be going far , shop for papers andthat will do .

Like Mick I feel a bit lethargic , but upwards and on .

Morning all!

Yes, Scotland gets this one Don, so I shall be using it to do laundry and ironing mostly.

Dd - I've got one of those Hymeks too (same route code). Mine came out of a goods train set (probably late 70s or very early 80s) so if yours isn't boxed it might have come from that route.

Went doon the watter yesterday to Largs and Millport. Enjoyed the ferry journey over (10 mins) on a flat calm day. Jamie enjoyed trampolines, a bouncy castle and riding in Thomas on the roundabout. She didn't enjoy the crazy golf quite as much. After doing a f we holes placing her ball carefully in the hole by hand, and more getting in the way of both parents' putts, she lay face down on the concrete putting surface to create and obstacle of her own, most amused with herself.

After half a stick of rock she was bouncing off the walls and took about an hour to get to sleep. They must put some serious E numbers in that pink coating!

• RMweb Gold

"for selling I don't think it is worth the hassle"

I tend to agree.

Unfortunately they hold the lead in on-line auctions.

Probably cheaper than real life auctions even after listing fees, final value fees and PayPal fees.

But you're right - what a hassle.

It will be my last port of call for Richard's estate.

I'm not sure about 'cheaper' than live auctions - the latter depends on the deal you can do with the auction house but if you find the right one you'll find they're at about 20% in total (including the VAT) although many are higher than that, I deal with one of the 'right ones'.

The Hymek is one of the later ones by the look of it and not from the first production run - very good runners once you've dealt with the wheels was my experiance of them and a good body moulding for their time (and still not too bad today) but they were light on their feet.

Anyway enough of the train trade and morning all - a steady damping one here and Mrs Stationmaster still has to get the onions in after doing the spuds yesterday although it is forecast to get better later.

• RMweb Gold

I'm just off to take Robbie for a walk. Aditi seems to be recovering quickly from her cold / virus and wants me to get the lawn mower out so she can cut the lawn. Warm wet weather has made the grass grow rather quickly.

I booked Matthew's flight (and hotel for his first few days) to Calgary last night. Next it will be helping him sort out health insurance. I'm sure he could do it but I've got more time (and a credit card) Although he is a fairly healthy 20 year old he does have "a pre-existing condition that requires permanent medication". This doesn't actually seem to be a problem, it just costs more!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm just off to take Robbie for a walk.

I'm taking my left leg for a walk. I've been told it needs regular exercise.

Actually I'm sitting enjoying a nice coffee overlooking the harbour but I walked here and will be walking back.

DD, if it will help, I have copy of Pat Hammond's book on model trains. It's a 2006 version, but still handy to get guide prices or even find that one particular model is worth much more than that particular class. Think of Stanley Gibbons for trains and you get the picture. Happy to put it in the post to you for a long term loan if you believe it will be useful.

• Like 1

That's extremely kind of you, thank you, Gordon.

So far folk have been good enough to offer realistic prices for the items.

I'm using 'completed eBay items' as my own guide which, so far, has been sufficient.

If I get stuck on an item, perhaps I could send you an e-mail to look it up for me?

That's only if a problem should arise.

Thanks again.

Speaking of books, anyone interest in Railway, Canal or Tram books?

• RMweb Gold

Happy to put it in the post to you for a long term loan if you believe it will be useful.

You know, it's this sort of thing that makes this place special.

People willing to help and support others that we hardly know other than as 'virtual' friends.

Brilliant.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Took a computer free day yesterday and it's taken me about half an hour to catch up!

Only one word for the weather here today - dreich.

Nowt to add so

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

'Speaking of books, anyone interest in Railway, Canal or Tram books?' if you have a list we could have a look. The ones I sold on ebay went for very little compared to the prices charged by booksellers

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of books, anyone interest in Railway, Canal or Tram books?

Railway books very definitely but it depends very much on the title/subject matter. BTW you do need to be very careful when selling books - most railway books tend to go for ludicrously low prices but some titles are rare and can command a premium (which can be quite substantial in some cases) and in every case condition can make a significant difference.

I'd be happy to run through the railway titles and give you a tip on which I think are the likely pricey ones (if any) plus let you know what i want (if any) and make an offer on them. You might also find it useful to know that you can ho on Amazon as a private seller for books and it can also give you a good guidance on potential prices (apart from some loony dealers in the USofA who seem to price in a world of their own - and it definitely isn't this one)

Where's Debs today?

Sir, here; Sir!

Still "taking the tablets" (antibiotics) for the large abscess: discovered under my aching-tooth when extracted......feeling quite "under the weather" (if truth be told). :secret:

Dogs still being walked and elderly parents cared-for....but autopilot has been engaged for the time being. :blackeye:

Normal service will doubtlessly resume shortly! :bye:

• RMweb Gold

Still "taking the tablets" (antibiotics) for the large abscess: discovered under my aching-tooth when extracted......feeling quite "under the weather" (if truth be told). :secret:

Sorry to hear that, I hope the tablets take effect before too much longer - did the abcess 'break?" (one of my past dentists would never extract a tooth until the abcess had first been cleared up because of the risk of the extraction spreading the infection - on which cheery words I'll leave you with fingers crossed).

• Like 1