The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Teaser for today. Why is it that when you have just taken delivery of 16/0.2 wire that you have been held up for, do you find the reel you knew you had but couldn't find, despite turning the whole place upside down....... :rolleyes:

Because you can never have too many of most modelling tools? :D

Edited by 1216 025

• RMweb Gold

Except if everything should be controlled wirelessly at that point in time.

I was playing with wireless control on my test track. There were all kinds of cables including a bright red 10 metre ethernet cable from the router in the hall to my Lenz interface on the dining table.

Aditi "What are you doing?"

Me "Wireless controlling my trains"

Aditi "Not doing very well then!"

• Like 1

His second wife - who still lives at Friar Park is also of pension age and upsetting Rodney Bewes by putting razor wire along the fence on one side (and allegedly injuring Bewes' cat as a result) Strange coincidence about Friar park as Marianne Faithful went to school there back in the days when the nuns had it. I've often wondered if George Harrison restored the gardens which at one time were rather magnificent.

I do know he was a keen gardener, Mike. Thing is my Wife is a keen gardener and she has trouble keeping up with an acre of land, so I assume that he had some help......

Do you know Eric Clapton's place at Ewhurst?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

I'm definitely not getting any older and I still haven't learned to behave. Why is it when I get up in the morning I seem to be shaving my father's face in the mirror?

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thing is my Wife is a keen gardener and she has trouble keeping up with an acre of land,

Aditi's father had about 4 acres of which about 1.5 were wild. Four chickens and an occasional horse had another acre but the rest was probably garden. He did nearly everything himself though he did inherit a gardener from the previous owner of the property, though I never saw him do anything other than drink tea. Like all visitors I was expected to help but was given very menial tasks after the wheel came off the sickle mower and it ploughed through a bed of peonies. I was also trusted to repair his little tractor mower but never to use it! As his health deteriorated my FiL restricted his gardening to his greenhouses where he maintained his out of season vegetables or Indian herbs. After he died MiL looked after the greenhouses and kitchen garden but much of the property went wild as she couldn't find anyone prepared to be employed to keep it tidy. A chance conversation with a friend got her contacts in the local Polish community and soon she had a tidy garden again. Now however she lives in a flat and has a balcony though she does have some nice plants there.

Did you have a good time on your Birthday? I'm 60 but always have a shock when I look in the mirror as"inside" I still feel 19.

Yes thanks, Pete........I spent the day at the beach with my dear-dogs; enjoying the Spring sunshine and sharing a picnic. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

,,,.I spent the day at the beach with my dear-dogs; enjoying the Spring sunshine and sharing a picnic. :sungum:

We've never quite got the hang of picnics with the dog. When we are eating at home Robbie is very well behaved but there is more than a hint of Yogi Bear behaviour when out. He is of the opinion that anyone sitting on the ground eating will welcome him. Of course if I see picnickers I put him on the lead but it is surprising how many offer him a snack! We are off to the Lake District with Robbie later this year and he'll be on the lead a lot I suspect but hopefully he will be good if we take him into any of the pubs that welcome well behaved dogs.

• Like 1

"Eh....BooBoo, I'm smarter than the average bear."

Have they appointed a "Drought Tsar" in England? I ask because I checked the forecast for London and it implies Rain for the next five days.....the same thing happened in 1976.

Best, Pete.

This cold wet weather is in some contrast to Pete's sartorial adventures!

Dave.

It is gloriously 77f/25C here just outside Gotham City.

I hope it stays well, it looks like it, for we will have a flypast of "Enterprise" later this week piggy backing on a 747. This is prior to it being on permanent display in Gotham.

BP

• RMweb Gold

I watched the recent Yogi Bear film. I did like Yogi Bear cartoons once upon a time. This one does have a train in it. I noted that it was starring Justin Timberlake. I thought at least I'd finally be able to know what another "celebrity" person looks like (I am very ignorant about such things). However he was doing the voice for Boo Boo.

I hope it stays well, it looks like it, for we will have a flypast of "Enterprise" later this week piggy backing on a 747.

'Six degrees' strikes again....... :O

......Some years ago; I worked with a delightful man named 'Fitz'......he was flightline-test pilot at the aerospace LLC where I worked as composite-structures engineer.

He`d often regale us with (what we believed to be) slightly-tall stories about flying in the Berlin airlift, being an astronaut, a rocket/x-plane pilot and flying a 747 with a space-shuttle a`top and then test-launching the unpowered shuttle from that position in-flight. :no:

'Fitz'......only a few years ago, did I discover it was ALL true.......you dear, clever, brave-man! :drinks:

http://en.wikipedia....zhugh_L._Fulton

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 6

It is gloriously 77f/25C here just outside Gotham City.

I hope it stays well, it looks like it, for we will have a flypast of "Enterprise" later this week piggy backing on a 747. This is prior to it being on permanent display in Gotham.

BP

Do they have to separate the saucer section first? ;)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

...I hope it stays well, it looks like it, for we will have a flypast of "Enterprise" later this week piggy backing on a 747. This is prior to it being on permanent display in Gotham.

Were you in Essex when it landed in Stansted?

Have they appointed a "Drought Tsar" in England? I ask because I checked the forecast for London and it implies Rain for the next five days.....the same thing happened in 1976.

Best, Pete.

We are getting April showers-for a change actually in April

Laurence

Were you in Essex when it landed in Stansted?

I don't even remember that! Imagine if they had landed at Southend by mistake.

Stansted has long runways and a permanent detachment of part of a 22nd SAS Squadron....

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I don't even remember that! Imagine if they had landed at Southend by mistake.

It has taken about 30 years to get the runway extended at Southend, but it probably wouldn't even now take the Shuttle/747 combo.

Aditi and I saw it flying over Essex. We went to Danbury to see it.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I do know he was a keen gardener, Mike. Thing is my Wife is a keen gardener and she has trouble keeping up with an acre of land, so I assume that he had some help......

Do you know Eric Clapton's place at Ewhurst?

Best, Pete.

No - only a bit about the place George Harrison bought locally (mainly because it is local). The gardens used to be opened around about a century ago, and possibly into the 1930s, and include all sorts of things such as foreign gardens and even a scale model of the Matterhorn. I have an old guide book and it must once have been fabulous and as a small child I had a look at some of it - albeit by then quite decrepit - before it was sold to the nuns in the early 1950s.

A lot of it down near the gates was restored once George Harrison took over but i don't know if any of the themed gardens were restored - he certainly had the money to do it and it would have struck me as the sort of thing which would appeal to him - especially if he was, as you say, a keen gardener.

It's probably the BBC. What you probably saw was the Combo taking off from Cape Canaveral in the morning and then doing the fly past at Washington. They have to unload Discovery (which is going to the Smithsonian in DC) and then load up Enterprise which will be arriving in NYC (incl. flypast) later this week or early next week. If I can i'll take photos.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2