The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking that these days, many go into further education rather than leave school at the standard leaving age - also there are still lots and lots of thoughts about ROSLA taking it to 18 (much about this in the Guardian recently) so it was with that in mind that I was suggesting the likely timing for any impact on the workforce demographic - of course, paying taxes presupposes that there are going to be jobs for these extra 400,000 souls when they get to working age.

The old further education lifeline isn't really there any more and is funding driven. I don't have a problem with elements of education being relevant to work but when I was at school (and first teaching) these were meant to be transferable skills. Very job specific training is moving into secondary education. Even when Matthew was at secondary school from 14 you could do a course that was ,numeracy, communication and bricklaying (or hairdressing). There were also IT / Business options that no matter what the students were told were not going to be the slightest use. I had to be quite assertive with the deputy head of Matthew's old school when he tried to tell me about all the exciting initiatives available. He was added to my list of people in education who I couldn't understand how they had achieved promotion (bearing in mind just how many fantastic, gifted, able etc people who didn't).

• Like 1

Well, I have made my decision. Today, my line manager Roland was made redundant, albeit with a six month clause that allows him to work a bit longer. I have also heard today some of the things planned for the future, and they are frankly unpalatable, and in my view, dubious in terms of legality. I am therefore handing in my notice, likely next Wednesday, out of respect for Roland, and myself.

I cannot work for a company that I no longer respect, and the cogs have been turning all morning - I think I can go it alone now.

Just about to take Roland out for lunch to commiserate and celebrate - hopefully Roland will get a job very soon, and I can start doing what I should have done six months ago: set up my own line of business.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Well, I have made my decision - I think I can go it alone now.

I can start doing what I should have done six months ago: set up my own line of business.

YAY GO FOR IT

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I fully believe you gave this matter a lot of thought, Simon, so I am happy for you to have come to a decision...which I do hope will allow you to preserve your sanity, given what you have been indicating about the alternative.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I have made my decision. Today, my line manager Roland was made redundant, albeit with a six month clause that allows him to work a bit longer. I have also heard today some of the things planned for the future, and they are frankly unpalatable, and in my view, dubious in terms of legality. I am therefore handing in my notice, likely next Wednesday, out of respect for Roland, and myself.

Your life, your decision - and probably the best one in my view but think of a couple of alternatives, viz :-

1. Is it worth sitting there waiting to be made redundant (and I mean worth it in financial terms in what you might make out of it)?

2. Roland has probably been given the redundancy as you are cheaper to employ than him BUT it might help his position in terms of being kept on for longer (if he wants to stay) should you resign because your departure might impact on the firm's strategic thinking.

You've possibly thought of these things already but you might also be in a stronger position than you think if they need you there so you might be able to drive a bargain. Your employers sound very much like the sort who are unable to think beyond numbers and £ signs and if you want to go anyway you might be able to screw something out of them by doing a deal to hang around a bit longer.

i

• Like 2

Guest Max Stafford

Made a nice spectacle at Ais Gill too. Simon, good on you for a very principled stance.

Interesting point from Mick about the extra youngsters about to come through the system. Mind you, if the bunch of free market extremists running the UK get their way they'll probably be in the workplace by ten anyway!

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Still some traces of that headache I had last night, so I'll be taking it slow for the moment...

Train accident to the east of Frankfurt late last night, where according to the news a regional working collided with an excavator - train driver and two workmen dead :( .

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

I used to own part of that many years ago!

Strange, none of it looked 'bodged'

I bet it made a great sight and sound going over the top Dave. There was quite a bit of wheel slip on the wet rail as it started.

Unfortunately SWMBO had the car so I was limited to the station.

Best of luck with your venture Simon, I hope all goes well for you. It is a brave decision you have made but it sounds as if it might preserve both your sanity and dignity in the long run.

There have been times in the past when I wish I had been as brave.

Edited by BoD

I saw part of a report on TV where a woman educated in the 70s was taught by the phonic method for which she blamed her current inability to spell and understand words.

When I had quite a large team, I had a terrible job finding employable youngsters.

Other experiences have left me with questions regarding the standards that are accepted - mitigated by outstanding exceptions.

I expect that our dedicated teachers on here will rely on those exceptions to make their working day worthwhile.

Is it now out of fashion for children to have the rudiments of reading and writing before they start school?

I have no idea where employment for 400,000 is to be found in the future.

Morning all......a bright and sunny morning here. :bye:

Sadly, I have to attend another funeral today........

........a lengthy, dog walk will surely follow, to give time for remembrance, and to lift spirits.

Whatever your day`s activities; be sure to make time to hug your loved-ones! :yes:

• Like 4

Morning all,

Simon, I wish you well in your new venture, I have never been that brave to have taken that step! But you do have to put your own health and sanity first.

Unfortunately looks like I'm going to be another of those "baby-boomer's" who is going to have to keep working, and working,and working. ! Though the thing is (most of the time) I actually enjoy working..............even here!

Well tiz the 13th, so be careful folks,

Trev

• Like 1

Morning all......a bright and sunny morning here. :bye:

Sadly, I have to attend another funeral today........

........a lengthy, dog walk will surely follow, to give time for remembrance, and to lift spirits.

Whatever your day`s activities; be sure to make time to hug your loved-ones! :yes:

Aye, we get more and more of them as we get older....I'm the only one left of my immediate family.

Trust it goes well, Debs.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky but frosty earlier (so I'm told). Hope the day goes well Debs - funerals can be a bind but if they go well they give the departed a good send-off and the immediate family can be cheered by the support they gain just from the presence of others.

And alas I agree about the quality of learning (very little) of many coming out of school although my immediate experiences of some of them are now a decade out of date but even back then some had real problems communicating in written English.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Debs sorry to hear about another funeral - I do hope all goes well for you, and that it is as uplifting as these events can be.

Simon best wishes for the venture - I'm sure with your commitment and the motivation of knowing what a cr*p job is like that you'll be successful.

Don - the loco is 30467 Tangmere - unrebuilt Bulleid Battle of Britain pacific working the Cumbrian Mountain Express.

Chilly today, and have got started early for no obvious reason other than that I've been awake since 5. Have found a new source of literary entertainment that I somehow missed - The Railway Detective series by Edward Marston which is set in the early days of the railways - from about 1852 - well researched and well written with the whodunnit as the main element and the railway themes in the background. I can recommend these, and have a parcel of the later titles on the way from Amazon now as well.

I'll pop back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1