The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

. We thus fabricated a new one from a piece of 4 mm thick steel which we found in our scrapbox, attached it to the door, and presto. So much the better, I dare say...

The model railway superpowers worked then. Aditi never criticises me about all those odd bits of metal I keep in boxes now, having successfully repaired things, or at least made something temporary until the proper part arrives. She claims she only married me as my ability to fix things impressed her. When she was of school age she said broken things were mysteriously fixed during the day and so she never saw DIY apart from the time she and her Dad built a Mirror trailer tent. I never saw this but their holidays must have been interesting as Mother in Law thinks 5 star accommodation is roughing it.

Guest Max Stafford

Been a good day. No ill effects after Tony and I polished off that Glenfiddich, courtesy of tea at bedtime and a good night's kip!

Took advantage of the excellent weather to get the grass cut, get a big wash done and clean the car. All these jobs done, it was off to Whitrope for a 5-mile walk/run as I start to claw back the fitness after a lost month in February. It gave me a chance to check on the latest work, having missed the work weekend last.

Anyway, a good day needs a soundtrack, so hear are my earworms of the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-l_pqpVuEg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y9aFr2GuuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGeZaakAJw8

High on spring today guys, so forgive my indulgence!

Dave.

post-6676-0-96191600-1332880507.jpg

post-6676-0-66380000-1332880521.jpg

post-6676-0-10287600-1332880533.jpg

post-6676-0-81656900-1332880541.jpg

post-6676-0-71825600-1332880550.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Good to see the progress you're making up at Whitrope, Dave :good:.

Bit hazy this morning, but the forecast's looking good, so we'll probably be looking for some flowers and then have a barbecue later on. Supposed to be cooler over the weekend, though - oh well.

A change in forecast today!

Although the sky is totally clear at the moment, the forecast is partly cloudy to cloudy with 30% probability of rain.

Still working my way through MI3

Oh boy, to have a layout of those proportions and those rakes of coaches. GREEN!

Oh yeah, I have a feeling the kids at school will have their minds set onto entirely different things on Friday! :lol:

Too true! However, Thomas' last day is today.

It's making much faster progress than my layout.

and mine! (Not that that's difficult)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Nice and sunny but a little on the sharp side still here in the Thames Valley.. More garden clearing down yesterday - nearly there with the brambles - and a bit more today plus getting the incinerator back into action. Four barrow loads of rubble 'relocated' as well - definitely makes the place look a bit tidier, well some of it; just wait until the tree surgeons start on Friday.

Not too crowded at the petrol station yesterday but there are definitely some dumbos out there who seem hell bent on getting to a pump even if the entire line (of 3) is occupied by vehicles pointing in the opposite direction; preobably one of teh same halfwits who doesn't understand the one way markings in local car parks.

• Like 1

Morning all..

Thanks for the job updates Simon. Glad to hear you have escaped redundancy for a while longer. At least that gives you a bit more time to consider where your future will be best spent.

Took Mrs S and the dogs off to West Wittering yesterday. Wonderful to be out in the sun and the boys had a great time belting around the beach and sniffing every backside in sight. Followed by a decent fish and chip lunch and a couple of beers down at Dell Quay. Great to get away from all the nonsense that's considered the norm these days.

Couple of things have made me wonder what the hell is going on. Wokingham is a pretty town but the roads are far too small to cope with the current volume of traffic. The station can be a real bottleneck with a level crossing causing chaos when it's down. Just up the road is our cricket and tennis club who have been there for years. Noticed last week the site is in the process of being cleared and now they're going to stick 120 houses/apartments on the site. What on earth are they thinking about? Another 120 odd cars going into an area that is already blocked up most of the morning and evening rush hour. Maybe they've got the planning office and creche swapped over and decisions are being made by four year olds....

And another thing. Found out yesterday the council have contracted out refuse collection to start on April 1st. Mrs S only found out in a casual conversation whilst dog walking. Of course they will now only collect in official bags and we will get 80 per year FOC. Have we got bags? Nope. So now three calls to the council to try and get these sacred blue bags. I just know what is going to happen. No bags, no collection and loads more hassle....and they've changed it from Thursday to Tuesday.

Another weekly landmark gone, so confusion will reign for months. Clearly I need to get a job.....too much time on my hands :D

• Like 1

Everyone is in the same boat but I feel slightly put out that I have to consider the petrol costs before jumping in the car.

No more nipping off to town for something inconsequential (it's a 12-13 mile round trip), say half a gallon.

Pre-planned excursions from now on I suppose.

To add insult to pecuniary, the one bus per day is being cancelled.

Not that I've used it but it has been a comfort to know it was there.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all , shaping up to be another nice day here , I keep looking at my back garden ( read 'mess' ) and

looking away again .

MI3 , what can be said , stunning , amazing and modelling that I will never achieve .

Nice photos Dave , lovely scenerary and the work is paying off by the look of it .

Time for breakfast I think , have a good day all .

• RMweb Gold

Alas planning in the southern part of this country seems totally nonsensical to me. We are allegedly slated to receive either 400 or 450 'houses' under some masterplan dreamt up in goodness knows where. The only places they can be put are well over a mile from town centre, shops, railway station and 'bus stops so all will 'need' cars. the town centre car parks are already full much of the time (we sometimes find it easier to go to Waitrose in the Oxford Road in Reading than use the one here). there are nothing like 400 jobs going locally notwithstanding a reasonably good economy and the local schools are over-subscibed with some children having to be taken 5-6 miles out of the town to get a school place - and that's with lots of children going to private schools too. I understand that the council's waiting list for home has, at very most, a handful of people on it.

And that's before we consider the water situation in this part of Britain or the crowded roads etc and so on ... total lunacy.

Oh, forgot to say our local garage diesel was £1.47 so thought I would fill up at Tesco's in Camberley. Never bought fuel from Tesco before, but heard it was considerably cheaper from others.

Nonsense! Paid £1.479 for the privilege. Maybe you get discount vouchers in the store, but not in our local one (which doesn't sell fuel).

Another myth laid to rest...