The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, and it would seem to be a very pleasant morning, clear blue sky and I'm sure it will get warmer. I used to do all the maintenance on our cars but have become lazy. I don't even know where the oil filter on my car is located, I am embarrassed enough by this to have to have a look some time today. I did wash the car yesterday, When all the mud and grime was removed it was a rather attractive shiny black colour.

Tony

• Like 1

I don't even know where the oil filter on my car is located

:onthequiet: Go to pointy end, lift up the flappy bit.......engine is in there; you can`t miss it! :laugh:

Hillman Imp and Porsche drivers, may feel a tad superior to the blonde at this point! :yes:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Got my weather forecast today off Chris Evans, who announced that it was raining in Lancaster - opened the curtains, and lo and behold, it was raining in Lancaster....Still is off and on - of course that always happens when I get the car valeted inside and out - at least this time it was AFTER the event, not during. Mind you, the young lad has done a lovely job on the car - I hardly recognise it!

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Well, I was given a current-model Suzuki Swift as a courtesy car. A rather nice ride, I must say, though I personally would definitely prefer automatic transmission, now that I got so used to it from our current car.

• RMweb Gold

:onthequiet: Go to pointy end, lift up the flappy bit.......engine is in there; you can`t miss it! :laugh:

My car doesn't really have a pointy end but I assume it was the end the dog doesn't travel in! So having lifted the bonnet and successfully located the engine, I had a look for the oil filter. The only suitably shaped candidate turned out to be the starter motor. At this point I got a torch to aid my search and still couldn't find it. So now (after needing Swarfega, orange scented) I had a look on interweb! It is apparently underneath and is accessed by removing the sump protector plate, removing a plastic cover and eventually a disposable paper thingy is revealed.

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Don't seem to have posted in ERs recently. Plenty of oktas in evidence today.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Hillman Imp and Porsche drivers, may feel a tad superior to the blonde at this point! :yes:

Nope. Looked under the bonnet (flappy bit at the pointy end). Looked in the boot (flappy bit at the blunt end). No engine! As it needs its biannual service I think I'll take it to the garage or on second thoughts have the man come and collect it.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Hmm car washing, must try to get mine in to the local Bosnians (or Russians or whatever they are) but the last time it was cleaned - by the garage at MoT time - it got rained on only a couple of days later so I might not bother. We actually have sunshine again this morning and a touch of high cloud, which will probably win in the end.

I gave up home car maintenance when they started coming with computer thingies which need to be plugged into a 'diagnostic centre' which apparently tells the component changer (they used to be called mechanics, remember) which component to change. Odd tho' it may sound but a recent spot of engine trouble led to them changing the component I suggested they should change, very worrying that.

I've had the Volvo for a few years now and still haven't found the washer container for the back window.

In fact, I've had Volvos for MANY years and don't remember ever finding it.

Possibly it's fed from the front washer container but, who knows?

• RMweb Premium

I've had the Volvo for a few years now and still haven't found the washer container for the back window.

It depends on how old a Volvo it is but our 850 only had a front screen wash bottle, not so much a bottle as a huge tank under the front wing. Earlier cars had a tank hidden behind the lining on the rhs near the door but I think it was difficult to fill it without getting screenwash all over the loadspace.

• RMweb Gold

Our Volvo's washer fluid thingy was a single tank with a separate pump for front and rear washers. My car has one huge tank as it feeds front, rear and headlamp washer jets.

• RMweb Gold

We had a Vauxhall Chevette with a separate tank for the rear wash wipe. Our Volvo was one of the odd 3 series (originally DAF design) that had the engine in the front and the gearbox at the back. To do anything much on that Volvo it always seemed necessary to remove the front bumper.

Never mind the screen wash DD, the V70 T5 estate had the most inaccessible rear/brake light bulbs possible. They are buried way up in the pillar and you need small arms/wrists with 17 flexible joints to access them....

Another great design.

....Oh and there is only the one screen wash bottle.

• RMweb Gold

Just back into the office after a failed attempt to stil bits of plastic in my eyes. ...

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to have ever attempted contact lenses! Aditi used to use them. We seemed to spend a lot of time looking for them on the bathroom floor. The other thing was that if she got grit in her eye people would glare at me assuming I'd made her cry.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Aargh - contact lenses - tried 'em many moons ago - they kept falling out, so they tried bigger ones (think puting a saucer in your eye and you're close).

Have happily worn specs ever since - give me something to hide behind.

• RMweb Gold

Aditi now has very expensive spectacles that are so minimal they are the next best thing to not wearing any. Also she likes the optician who always makes nice comments about her nose!

• RMweb Premium

I've been using contact lenses since I found out I needed a viewing aid, and never had any troubles with them to speak of. Even during the hayfever season, there have been only a few occasions where I couldn't wear them as long as I normally do, and none where I couldn't have worn them at all.