The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

That it is. We like our funny pronunciations!

Probably one of the best known is 'Menzies' which is correctly pronounced 'Ming-iss'. Conversely, the small town of Lenzie in Stirlingshire is pronounced as it looks!

Dave.

Hmmm... must be old Stirlingshire, Dave! It's currently in East Dumbartonshire according to Paula's council tax!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still misty here in the Thames Valley with the super mansion across the river hidden by it - I hope the multi-millionaire is enjoying his cornflakes and is pleased he bought the place.

Anyway some brighter news - daughter arrived safely in the Big Apple and is duly ensconced somewhere near Madison Square Garden while son has heard this morning that he's got an interview with First GW in 2 weeks time so fingers crossed for that. Yesterday's visit to Alton wasn't too expensive - just some Plasticard and Plastruct odds & ends but orders placed for a couple of Hornby locos later in the year. And I'm trying to get in touch with the tree surgeon before the birds start building too many nests and growth goes mad.

Guest Max Stafford

You're right about Lenzie. Mike. I think it used to be Stirlingshire pre 1975. I stick to the old counties where I can, those new structures were normally effected for ideological reasons and I refuse to recognise them as a result! ;-)

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You're right about Lenzie. Mike. I think it used to be Stirlingshire pre 1975. I stick to the old counties where I can, those new structures were normally effected for ideological reasons and I refuse to recognise them as a result! ;-)

When we visited various NTS properties on our last trip to Scotland it was interesting to note how many of the old county names were followed by "North Britain". Was this an affectation of the castle owning classes?

Cholmondley = Chumly. Before the influx of newbies Cirencester used to be pronounced Sisister (my Father's family were from the general area).

Morning! Some showers overnight but already moved out into the Atlantic. Partly cloudy 73f chance of T-storm later.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

As we're talking about place names and pronunciation, I was just remembering this... You may know that "Duisburg" is usually pronounced like "dues-burg" nowadays, but the classical Rhineland pronunciation would have been something like "doos-burg". Likewise, places like "Grevenbroich" are actually pronounced with "broch" rather than "broych" in the last syllable, as one might expect from the spelling.

As we're talking about place names and pronunciation, I was just remembering this... You may know that "Duisburg" is usually pronounced like "dues-burg" nowadays, but the classical Rhineland pronunciation would have been something like "doos-burg". Likewise, places like "Grevenbroich" are actually pronounced with "broch" rather than "broych" in the last syllable, as one might expect from the spelling.

Dom, according to Wikipedia, Brochs are only found in Scotland! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Dom, according to Wikipedia, Brochs are only found in Scotland! ;)

Well, as I'm sure you, and especially Dave, will agree, it can't hurt to have a piece of Scotland most anywhere, can it? :lol: In the case of places like Grevenbroich, the "broich" part will most likely correspond to the English "brook."

Edited by 1216 025

• RMweb Gold

But only after consumption, eh? ;)

I've got a bottle of Bruichladdich open at home at the moment...

Does it have the following on the label?

Warning. Do not consume while looking at IKEA part number list!

• RMweb Premium

No, but it definitely should have! Actually, worryingly, I made my catalogue of errors while completely sober.

Perhaps Ikea furniture is meant to be assembled in an intoxicated condition?

• RMweb Gold

I think I've found the ideal modelling material for my level of craft ability. I need to make some odd shaped covers to shield the wiring on my club modules. I finally remembered what the stuff that primary schools used for in craft projects instead of wood and have ordered some. If Corriflute proves inadequate I'll have to do some woodwork!

• RMweb Premium

I just checked and I've still got some Bruichladdich in the cupboard - I find it very slightly on the light side - I do like my malts peaty and with a touch of iodine - my 20 yo Caol Isla unchill filtered, and bottled at cask strength of 59.6% does the trick for me.

Well, I managed to get the Arcam CD and it came in at a marvellous price. The cheapest I've seen it online is £429, makers recommended price £599 and some dealers do try to sell it at that but the normal "discounted" price is about £499 (RIcher Sounds and others) and I got this one sold as closing down stock at under £350 - it went straight in, and fired up right away - it's stunningly good. I can heartily recommend Arcam gear as being quality, durable, and souding great. I rooted out the receipt for the last one and it lasted for just under 14 years, as I got it May 1998 and it survived being taken down and house moved three tmes, and relocated in some houses several times - that's a good recommendation - I paid £329 for it back then, so it's done its stint. (no connection with Arcam other than as a long term happy user.

Now for the downside - I always set up my audio equipment to Dark Side Of The Moon and it's left the usual earworm of them ruddy clocks and the sax break in Us and Them.