The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

Got into work a bit later this morning having dropped Thomas at Kindergarten.

We didn't have any more snow overnight - but there is some forecast for later this afternoon into tomorrow morning.

I will await a progress report from my parents - they are heading back to the snowy UK this morning. It will be interesting to see how they progress having driven across a snow covered Germany and France yesterday!

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Gold

I'm worried about traveling into college today. School isn't open until 9:30 am which means I will have to cycle in whatever happens because my parents are working.

I haven't been out since Wednesday so I can only look through the window and see what condition the road is in. However, I have a suspicion that the footpath I use may be treacherous - if that is covered in ice and I slip on it I might be hit by oncoming traffic...

I think it might be OK, but I have a feeling it isn't wise to travel. I guess I will try the first 1/4 of a mile and make a decision.

Good idea Jam,

Have you any idea what attendance at College has been like? If it has been poor, then they won't be teaching anything new and you won't be missing anything. You can "work" from home. I didn't say what the nature of the work would be! :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold

:lol:

I expect yesterday it was about half the school. Tuesday was 1/3 of us (the day I managed to get in before a blizzard on the way back!) I've got exams coming up next week (3 module exams) and to be honest i'd much rather revise at home simply because it is a quiet working environment and it is easier to take breaks and is not a tense environment! Apparently when Mum phoned the school yesterday to say I wouldn't be in - as soon as she said which village we are in the secretary said 'That's fine'.

We are a bit confused as to why the school is open, particularly yesterday as there were no buses running!

• RMweb Gold

Hello

Matthew's college is open as normal today (website even has a pretty picture of the snow covered campus!)My wife's college sent text messages to all staff and students early this morning letting them know it would be open. Matthew has got AS/A2 modules and resits starting next week. He has been revising all through the holidays and is finding it useful now to discuss stuff with his tutors so he is keen to go in.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

That is true. It doesn't look bad, but you never know till the accident happens! I slid off my bike on Tuesday as I think I told you. The trouble is I have to cycle on minor country roads where there are no gritters meaning there is probably still snow there. Worst case scenario, but if I cycled into a concealed pothole causing me to fly over the handlebars and broke something, the chance of someone finding me in an hour are slim and because of the extreme cold then... :blink: It's not worth thinking about the consequences on the main road

What a depressing read, sorry!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Still underneath the white stuff like everyone else but at least today there appears to be traffic moving. Bitterly cold East wind whistling across the fields when I took the dog out. Had to de-ice his paws twice while out as the snow freezes into hard lumps between the pads of his paws as he walks! When he was younger we had to equip him with doggy wellies as he cut his paws so often on the flints in our fields. Unfortunately all we have is one left front boot as he lost all the others one by one. There is no design of doggy boot that will stay on a Lurcher in full flight!

Cheers

Dave

Morning all,

Still underneath the white stuff like everyone else but at least today there appears to be traffic moving.

Managed to get from Portsmouth to Newbury and back last night via the A3M / M27 / A34 so can concur that major roads are passable. However, tried to get to my drive and ended up stuck about 50 yards short!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I'm setting off later to take my mother back to Droitwich. Today's forecast seems the mildest for a while assuming we are back before the blizzards return tonight!

Tony

good morning all

belated happy new year. i'm now bored of all this cold weather and snow.

has any one else noticed how this bad weather brings out the best in people.

at my shop we pick up a pint of milk and the paper each morning from the paper shop round the corner from us.

on tuesday he was shut (he comes down from bolton). the owner of the hairdressers popped in to say she wasnt opening, and did we need anything from sale.

i asked if she could pick up the milk for us, she came back with the following

a pint of milk

6 hot crossed buns

tub of butter

and to top it off

a toaster!

she wouldnt take any money for it

not much i can say to that. apart from if she needs any jobs doing i'll be there like a shot!!

stay safe everyone

Morning All,

We have had a bit of new snow overnight - but nothing too dramatic. Not more than 3-4cm I reckon.

I was intending to go cycling today, but that's definitely off. So, I think it is going to be a quiet day at home and maybe catch up on some reading. I'm off for some coffee and breakfast now!

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave: