The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

As I have my pre-op on Monday, and then my surgery a couple of weeks later, I don't want to jeopardise anything.

Stewart

Is the pre-op the time when they check you out to confirm that you are fit enough for the op?

Hope you feel better soon.

We wake up to Radio 4 Today usually. There was a lot of stuff about diabetic problems this morning so instead of making a cup of tea my first instruction was to look at a scratch on Aditi's foot. It was fine but it appears that South Essex isn't a good place to be if a foot gets infected.

Guest Max Stafford

Best wishes to all of you with these health issues. Puts a dose of manflu in its correct perspective!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Best wishes to all of you with these health issues. Puts a dose of manflu in its correct perspective!

Dave.

I've had what is described as a chronic condition with acute phases since 1979. However I still think colds are one of the most miserable things to have. There seems to be a sneaky version around now that gets better after a week and then returns a couple of days after you think you have recovered. Then there is the cold virus known to all teachers, the version that erupts at end of term and clears up just before start of term!

Guest Max Stafford

Oh dear, just having returned to some semblance of normality after a week I'd better watch my back with this one. I doubt these two nasty 12 hour shifts I'm currently straddling won't help. 12 hours of driving about all night ain't healthy. In fact it was bloody dangerous last night in the latter stages!

If I don't check in tomorrow, send somebody up to check the ditches beside the A596, there's a good bunch of lads! :D

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Is the pre-op the time when they check you out to confirm that you are fit enough for the op?

Fingers crossed Stewart and hope that all is clear at Monday's pre-op session.

Thanks gents - yes pre-op is just that - an hour of checks, x-rays, blood tests and an ECG. Also for diabetics an HBa1c blood test. This will be the seonc pre-op as I had one some time ago, but it has expired due to the time I've been on the waiting list now. Since then, I have had a full annual diabetic workup with all the tests, so I plan to take the results with me to show that I have current blood results - I've already done all the medication/allergy etc bits, so hopefully all I'll need is another ECG, and then I can get out in much less time.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Gold

I was reading Phil H's thread on fifty years apart and I have to confess to something.

I love locomotives (in general) rolling stock and really get a kick out of trackwork (for some reason) BUT I do not care to ride on trains and have no desire to drive a locomotive. I like watching all these thing from an outside viewpoint, Love taking and looking at photos of them, models too.

Am I unique?

Best, Pete.

Fair dos Pete - I've always been interested in steam locos, but would love to have been around in the US at the zenith of the F7, E8/9, PA1 etc.

I came to footplate work via engineering/restoration - to drive an engine knowing that there are several bits you have spent long hours making nailed on to it is quite a special feeling.

• Like 2

I'm going to watch the Horizon documentary on iPlayer tomorrow. Whilst it will no doubt be a bit 'sexed up' for public entertainment, I've always been of the opinion that we've become over dependent on electronics at the expense of old techniques and it makes us very vulnerable to man-made and natural problems like solar storms.

I'm going to have to write all your addresses down in case a big flare knocks all this kit out. Then I'm stockpiling bottled water and teaching Abi to hunt! :sarcastichand:

Dave.

My address will be: under the kitchen table

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Been raining during the night and it still is windy. I think I'll be getting my food purchases done soonest. I just had to look at NOAA's space weather prediction site to understand what you were referring to, though.

Cheers everyone!

Morning all, just seen a bit on the BBC web site about a solar flare this morning.........scary stuff?

As a lad i was one who wanted to be an engine driver...........but like the majority that was not to be. Some years later I got involved in the preservation field, restoring (Narrow Gauge) locos, and by default ended up firing, but ok for fun, but not for a job.

Enjoy your day,

Trev.

Morning All,

It is rather a grey morning here , and as Dominik said, it has been raining.

A large magnitude solar flare, aimed directly at the Earth would cause absolute chaos. As the sunspot cycle increases then we will see more solar activity, but whether that will actually result in one of these "mega-flares" coming exactly in our direction is a matter of chance. There's a lot of scaremongering in the media at the moment about many Doomsday scenarios - largely brought about by the misinterpretation of the Mayan prophesies with respect to 2012.

We shall see, what we shall see.

Have a good day everyone...

Hello all,

I've not seen anything on our news re solar flares so hope the current situation maybe does not affect the Southern hemispher.

Weather remains glorious.

Just two days to the weekend for you working folk.

I hope you remain safe during your overtime night duties Max.

Morning all. Didn't see Horizon, so looks like I'll have to take a gander via iPlayer. Well into March now, so better get a ticket for AP. Still having some issues with my Apple mouse. Left click just doesn't work sometimes on web pages. I have an idea it's either the router or my other PC, both of which are within 3' of my iMac. Shouldn't happen, but it is. Bit of a pain, but I'll try moving stuff first and see if that solves the problem.

Morning! Well I'm still here - though I slept for a couple of hours already I think I got up to quick as my balance was shot.......

The Solar Flare is announced as the biggest for 5 years.

So, there was a bigger one five years ago? I guess we never noticed - the difference is that there is now a satellite giving early warning. Presumably the power companies can take pre-emptive action to secure things rather than being caught out.

Any flare has worldwide effect but has greater effects towards the two polar regions. So far as I know, Don.

Best, Pete.

Left click just doesn't work sometimes on web pages. I have an idea it's either the router or my other PC, both of which are within 3' of my iMac. Shouldn't happen, but it is. Bit of a pain, but I'll try moving stuff first and see if that solves the problem.

That's weird I've been having the same problems recently! I was blaming my Mouse! Never experienced it before.....

Best, Pete,

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Looks quite pleasant here, much brighter and windier.

Last time there was a solar flare I'm sure people were getting excited at seeing Northern Lights much further south than usual rather than imminent doom.

Tony

Sorry Pete, that's what happens when you let a newbie loose on a bit of high tech kit.... :D

It also goes with a small movement of the web page from side to side by 5mm or so. Really weird but hard to explain. If I move off the page and onto the desktop at the side and click a few times before going back on the page it seems to sort it temporarily. Everything suggests it's interference of some kind, either from the router or the wireless keyboard/mouse of my PC.

Got my storage roads boards finished yesterday and cork tile underlay is down, so hoping to lay track today.

Sorry Pete, that's what happens when you let a newbie loose on a bit of high tech kit.... :D

It also goes with a small movement of the web page from side to side by 5mm or so. Really weird but hard to explain. If I move off the page and onto the desktop at the side and click a few times before going back on the page it seems to sort it temporarily. Everything suggests it's interference of some kind, either from the router or the wireless keyboard/mouse of my PC.

Got my storage roads boards finished yesterday and cork tile underlay is down, so hoping to lay track today.

I haven't had the "shake", Gordon. I did go to Utilities and ran the "Disk Permissions" - which made it a bit better. I'm wondering whether it is something to do with Safari security.....Gppd news re: Eastwood though! I may have missed something I thought you were trying direct to ply?

You'll have to excuse me for a bit; I still have to mount the marshmallows on my roof...

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I was going to put some static grass on the club layout modules but I wonder if solar flare activity will make it stick to the ceiling instead.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gordon, have you got a Bluetooth enabled phone? That is something else to consider. My Mac mini hides behind the television, has two bluetooth devices (keyboard and trackpad) and seems to work quite well in what is a fairly hostile environment with wireless access points and dect phones nearby.

Andrew, your marshmallow comment amused Aditi this morning. I'm glad something did. She was told yesterday at her annual performance review that she wasn't assertive enough with colleagues. She started off by asking for a pay increase. Last night she watched one of the Clint Eastwood Harry Callahan films, (The Enforcer). I hope she doesn't think of it as a training video!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

It seems that some countries' press are reporting it as the end of the world and others are just ignoring it.

Interesting topic for Aditi's next thesis.