The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I'll probably get the off peak Travelcard from Benfleet. Then I can also have a ride on the DLR (pretending to be the driver) and use whichever tube gets me to Kings Cross. There may be quicker routes though. In the last few years the other tube routes haven't been available on the weekends due to engineering. I'll check with the TFL website before I go.

Guest Max Stafford

Afternoon.

I think it usually quicker at Ally Pally to get an alcoholic drink than queue for tea or coffee.

Matthew went to Manchester for a student conference last weekend. He is used to Leicester (ie student friendly) beer prices and after finding that beer was £7 a pint most of them went and found a Wetherspoons pub.

Tony

£7 a pint? Officer, I wish to report a mugging!

I'd be wanting it to last me all night at that price!

Dave.

Dave.

I think ex-England coach David "Bumble" Lloyd recently commented that he'd been in the Burj Al Arab hotel and someone had bought 3 beers and the bill was £200...

Guest dilbert

I think ex-England coach David "Bumble" Lloyd recently commented that he'd been in the Burj Al Arab hotel and someone had bought 3 beers and the bill was £200...

With the price of petrol these days you wonder who is really getting mugged ... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

I think it may have put Matthew off Manchester at first but he did find find a selection of suitably priced beverages elsewhere. He likes beers that are approaching sentience rather than the more fizzy varieties.

Morning All,

Remember the AP show, exhibited there a number of times, but dont remember either the queues or the beer! Did a bit more on the Manning Wardel springs last night, only got one more hanger to fabricate. Maybe some photos by the end of the week......

Well enjoy your day

Trev.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Damp and balmy outside, so at least I won't have to dress as if I were going on an Antarctic expedition. It sure was nice to hear birdsong again when I got up!

Got a pair of appointments today, so I think I'll prepare breakfast in a few.

Cheers everyone...

Morning All,

Heavens above - 7 quid a pint?!? I have obviously been away from the UK for longer than I thought. What happened to a nice pint of bitter for 1.40?!?

At risk of sounding like a grumpy old git, when is it going to stop? Fuel prices has now reached the stratosphere - here too (at least the beer is still cheap).

As Dominik already mentioned the weather is quite warm today and the mornings are definitely getting lighter thank goodness.

Have a good day everyone...

I need reassurance it's not just me.

It shouldn't wear out, should it?

Morning all. Bin day and all quiet.

Reading about beer prices took me back to Saturday and lunch in a Bloomsbury pub. Lunch was reasonable but two large glasses of wine and a pint was £15....Thanks God we live in the sticks.

Spent all day yesterday screwing again. Finished the bedroom but no real improvement which was really disappointing...and then it came to me. Through shrinkage and wear and tear, the floor had actually dropped by 10mm under the stud wall in the middle of the room. You couldn't see it before as carpet and the gripper rods hid it from view. Laying on the floor and looking through the gap I could see the nails used to secure the studding to the floor/joists and it was those that were causing most of the noise. I cut through the nails and hey presto, problem solved.

Of course there are now five less nails holding the wall in place, but it all seems to be solid..

Off to look at Dave's black five. Sounds pretty good to me.

Good morning all.

I am horrified at the booze prices quoted by you. I know I did specify London and Gordon implied that they are cheaper out of the City. Thanks to all of you who replied. As a dedicated drinker I thank God I live where I do in a liquor producing country where

prices are really cheap.

Supremely "dreichy" in Gotham. We have drizzle just to the West but to the North they have Frizzle, Snizzle, Snain, Snow, Rain, Freezing Rain with a soupcon of hail. BUT no Tornados reported!

Morning everybody. Now you all know another reason why I moved over here. The irony is I rarely drink now apart from a little red wine. Watch for Gas prices this Summer, there will be some squealing.

Now I shall go find Dave's Black Five....

Best, Pete.

I only caught up with Liverpool Lime Street last night - Dave's Black 5 is on page 3 of 18 if you're hunting. I think it's the lovely lumps of real coal in the tender that set the whole thing off.

Morning everyone. Feeling very tired and sore eyes / head this morning. I shouldn't have stayed up until after 1am reading the Lime Street thread on a school night, should I?

Yesterday was my last day of 6 1/4 years of working with a lovely colleague who's emigrating to Melbourne. We're all off out for a few drinks tomorrow night before she sets off on Tuesday.

I can report very strange weather conditions in Edinburgh this morning. There is weak sunshine at the moment.

Guest Max Stafford

The weather does seem a little strange, Mike. The weather lady on Border attributes it to a 'feather wind'. I like it lots as it's not raining and there are even sunny intervals. The Railway Fairy has apparently been to The Waverley and left us lots of sleepers and platform coping stones. I'm going to go for a look today I think. I really should tidy up the garden too but I've got a nasty cold which is making me lazier than normal!

Don, I think you need to sit down and have a stiff drink after the shock of the London booze prices!

Have a good day whatever you're getting up to.

Dave.

Good morning all.

I am horrified at the booze prices quoted by you. I know I did specify London and Gordon implied that they are cheaper out of the City. Thanks to all of you who replied. As a dedicated drinker I thank God I live where I do in a liquor producing country where

prices are really cheap.

Don't panic Don. While overall booze is expensive in the UK, most of the price difference is down to the type of drink or venue. Premium brands or rare and obscure beers (some of the stuff I drink can range from £4.50/half to £35 for a 330ml bottle), or its the venue that overcharges. You can pay £4.20 for a pint of London Pride in one pub. Walk 200 yards to a Wetherspoons, still in tourist central and pay £2.75 for the same pint. The 'spoons by our place which is further into suburban nowhereland has the same pint again at £2.25.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. still rather grey here in the Thames Valley and although the mist is gradually clearing I still can't see the mansion on the opposite side of the valley (c.1 mile) but we're promised sunshine for later :O

And what we haven't told you DOn is that if you going shopping in a supermarket they virtually giveaway the booze (not so generous with spirits mind but you do get some occasional special offers).