The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Much like Robert said, it's not really cold outside, but wet. As we're heading back today, I sure am thankful that the weather's not too bad. We had heavy rain when we last went, which made driving rather like speedboat racing!

Other than that, nothing much to report at this time, so - have a good leap day everyone! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Then I'll take second place!

Morning all, it's been a while since I last posted but I'm still around!

Happy Leap Day!

Anyone going to Ally Pally next month?

Good morning - overcast but mild out side here in Surrey.

I will be there with my N scale layout 'Santa Barbara'

Ian

• RMweb Gold

"Happy leap year day"

I'm surprised that someone has jumped on the band wagon and produced greetings cards and gifts. They have for every other occasion.

Bah humbug.

Morning all from the boring boring borough. Work finally caught up yesterday so I didn't manage to sneak any layout construction time. Maybe today as half the project team seem to have taken the rest of the week as leave. Shoulder is the usual but not as bad as Monday.(insert your own getting older and falling to bits grumble here)

Now I find they shrank my hometown. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn2WOYKUato&feature=player_embedded

For those that don't like leap day, in the US and Canada its generally regarded as the one day when its ok for women to do the proposing. So if you are single and want to stay that way, hide.

Oh and happy 12th birthday to my old friend Colin Campbell.

Edited by AndrewC

Morning boys....Trying hard not to be grumpy, but it seems to be more and more a default condition these days. :rolleyes:

Back is aching and knees are knackered, even with knee pads. Stopping the creaking boards seemed like a good idea at the time.

Yup, I will be going to AP. Not sure about the rest of the 'Ampshire crowd. Lunch and a few beers may tip the balance.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is a bit misty at the moment but it should be a nice day when it clears. It must have been foggier last night as I could hear fog horns from ships on the Thames.

Today's official task (bin bags) has already been completed. Robbie will let me know when the bags are collected.

I hope to make some more progress with scenic stuff today.

I hope to be able to go to Alexandra Palace this year.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, Thames Valley weather is no better, and no worse, than yesterday but on the domestic front we now have a leak in the hot water cylinder - the manufacturer has agreed to supply a replacement f.o.c. so that just leaves us (or the household insurance) to pick up the bill for the electrician, plumber and solar work. Absolutely wonderful for a 4.5 year old tank made of stainless steel!!

Best of luck at the Doc's today Don - I should ask for that nice nurse again and if they argue just tell them it's an age thing (hers, not yours).

And yes at present Ally Pally is on my list for this year assuming I don't forget it (again) and feel like the hike (or 'bus ride) up the hill. Only off-putter is the bl*sted Circle Line and its atrocious 'good service'.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Cloudy and dreary in these parts. Not a lot happening and with a creaking back no chance of me screwing all day or banging on the ceiling (unlike some of our number).

Ally Pally is a distinct possibility. Did someone mention beer?

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Guest Max Stafford

Back's a bit stiff again today but it's my own fault for playing with 1:1 scale track! Still, sleeping on the spare bed which is much better than the clapped out old double has helped things enormously! I get grumpy too, but it's mainly about people and the godawful lying machine that is the media in this country. I also get utterly wound up that people believe all the crap that they get fed by those who control the media.

But whinging isn't going to help it and in any case my work decrees I can't get involved in politics so it's just a case of 'grin and bear it'.

Anyway, I'm not at work for three days now, so I'll have to think about what I'm going to do with myself today!

Mick, I hope you have a better day today - just imagine whoever spoiled yesterday for you in a humiliating situation! :diablo_mini:

Dave.

Morning all. Thoroughly disappointed not to have had at least a dozen marriage proposals before breakfast... ;)

Ally Pally is impossible for me, unfortunately. Having got excited by the possibility of an Edinburgh to London one way ticket "from £16.50" on the East Coast website front page, I then discover that this is only available if you book up 8 years in advance for 0530 on a Wednesday morning. The £110+ it would acutally be to get there and back in one day (that's not even thinking about the transfer to AP) isn't worth it just now, sadly.

• RMweb Gold

Morning All, Cloudy and dreary in these parts. Not a lot happening and with a creaking back no chance of me screwing all day or banging on the ceiling (unlike some of our number).

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Ally Pally used to have barrels of decent beers on top of the bars some years back but nowadays its all fizz. There is a proper pub by the entrance but not sure what beer it does now.

We save ourselves to after the show closes then head into London for decent beer these days.

Ian

Ally Pally used to have barrels of decent beers on top of the bars some years back but nowadays its all fizz. There is a proper pub by the entrance but not sure what beer it does now.

We save ourselves to after the show closes then head into London for decent beer these days.

Ian

Lemme know if you need another operator. I actually will have that weekend free. The Bull in Highgate may be a good option for post palace pints.

Regrettably I will not be able to attend Ally Pally this year, nor have been able to for the last 72 years.

As a matter of interest, since I don't drink beer, what would I have to pay for a double brandy and water at a London pub?

Best wishes to those going. I would like a report and even a photo of some attraction that you remembered best.

• RMweb Gold

As a matter of interest, since I don't drink beer, what would I have to pay for a double brandy and water at a London pub?

I hate to think but if I had any sort of medical condition that could deteriorate due to a nasty shock I wouldn't even dare to ask! Drinks in London are not cheap and I bet you'd be looking at £6 or even more in some places.

• RMweb Gold

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Ian

Guest Max Stafford

I hate to think but if I had any sort of medical condition that could deteriorate due to a nasty shock I wouldn't even dare to ask! Drinks in London are not cheap and I bet you'd be looking at £6 or even more in some places.

And that's just for the water.

Dave.

And that's just for the water. Ha HA

Oops. Luckily my medical condition is not affected by shock!

Here I would pay the equivalent of about BSP 1.50 and the water comes free!

There's an awful lot of brandy distilled locally!

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Gold

And that's just for the water. Ha HA

Oops. Luckily my medical condition is not affected by shock!

Here I would pay the equivalent of about BSP 1.50 and the water comes free!

There's an awful lot of brandy distilled locally!

Oh and I forgot to mention the fare to get there Don - seems from the BBC documentary the other night that the cheap bit for you would be the flight to London. Once you get involved with the UndergrounD it gets sort of eye watering, costing even more than Heathrow to Paddington on the train (which costs about £2 per mile, on LUL in Zone 1 it costs £4.30 to travel for a distance you can walk in 10 minutes).

• RMweb Gold

Yes ... The Heathrow express was £18.00 single when I used it last SUmmer due to the Underground being shut for engineering works!!

Most decent pubs a pint of ale is around £3.50 to £4.00 a pint but lagers etc can be quite a bit more. However if you want a really nice bottle of Amercian microbrew you can pay well over £10.00 a bottle in the few places that do serve them.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon.

I think it usually quicker at Ally Pally to get an alcoholic drink than queue for tea or coffee.

Matthew went to Manchester for a student conference last weekend. He is used to Leicester (ie student friendly) beer prices and after finding that beer was £7 a pint most of them went and found a Wetherspoons pub.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Tony

Yes I am afraid I have to agree with you re queuing for tea, and thats even before the show has opened.

One of the down side for doing big shows as happens in many of such places we have exhibited.

Sometimes the queue for exhibitors lunches can take an hour but last year was much better.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse