The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Shame on you Pete - that's a standard East German colour light, distinctly different from the West German version (...)

The East German colour light signals are known as the "Hl" type, and are more similar to the Russian system rather than the West German one. Most importantly, the Hl system is a multi-aspect design with no particular distinction between home and distant signals.

Suffice to say, that on a Friday evening, manners and common courtesies seem the last thing on people's minds.

Only on Friday evenings? :O

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Late on parade due to other commitments with Morrison's and other establishments selling the necessities of daily life. I spent over £60.00 today, and as a result got a voucher for 15p off every litre of petrol at their fuel station, and as theirs is the cheapest already, it came in at £1.18 a litre, which is still expensive, but I needed a tankful, and so I saved about eight quid, which is not to be sneezed at.

Great news Mick that you might be seeing some light at the end of your tunnel now - it's to be hoped that this twister does get his just deserts, and it looks as if he might be - the law grinds slow sometimes, but at least in this case, it seems to be grinding in your favour.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dom and Mike for the lesson on East German signals - I think........I could start a discussion on Uruguayan railways....

Do you ever get the feeling of having too much stuff in your head?

Best, Pete.

Yes Pete - but my brain seems to have a sort of auto-filter system in that if it happened 30-50 years ago I can remember it quite well, if it happened yesterday (or 10 minutes ago) I haven't got a clue. Similarly with facts - it it's stuff I learnt or came across years ago I'm generally pretty good on it but asking me which days the milk is supposed to be delivered is not a runner

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Pete, if I hadn't settled on a potato hauling line for my NE US ON30 layout I could well have been tempted by a South American project. Peru looked interesting as there were US, UK and German influences.

I went into the garage to do some tidying after breakfast and emerged about tea-time. Robbie had been really patient waiting for his morning walk. I wonder if he threw himself into a stinky ditch to punish me, though he is the one not allowed into any of the carpeted rooms until he is completely dry (from the hose-down not the ditch)

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I think Windows 98 was the last Windows version I bought a "book" for to help understand it. I quite like Windows 7 as I don't need to understand anything for the kind of trivial use I make of it.

The last Vauxhall I owned had no room under the bonnet at all even if it could be understood. The Freelander has loads of wires going into plastic boxes, all very mysterious!

Guest Max Stafford

Well gents, I'm now kicking back on the sofa after tea and a great day in Glasgow where in addition to seeing some great layouts, I had some great company to talk with; friends old and new. Some great conversations and laughs were had and we even managed to gain a few more pressed men for the WRHA! I used to enjoy expos for the chance to plough through the trade stands and goodies but I find as time goes on, it's far more about the exchange of ideas, inspiration through watching good modelling and just plain good old social interaction. Thanks to everybody I've crossed paths with today. I did have some purchases, mainly books. Thanks to a tip off by Dave frk, I was able to acquire five very useful Yeadon's volumes for half price in additiion to the Bachmann 'Bude' signal box after assessing its eminent potential for conversion to an NB design!

An already excellent day has been thoroughly enhanced by the news of the glorious victory on the Mick front. Stick it to him, mate. Doubleplusgood!

Finally, a couple examples of thoroughly incompetent photography by yours truly. Interestingly, if not actually noticed at the time, they all seem to be of infrastructure apart from the two (ahem...) 'dynamic action shots' of Gamston Bank. The others are in paired order, Newcastleton, New Hey and Calderfield.

Dave

post-6676-0-23424900-1330204944.jpg

post-6676-0-84486000-1330204959.jpg

post-6676-0-90502600-1330204983.jpg

post-6676-0-56226100-1330204996.jpg

post-6676-0-59143100-1330205010.jpg

post-6676-0-80347600-1330205027.jpg

post-6676-0-20998000-1330205041.jpg

post-6676-0-86073400-1330205052.jpg

post-6676-0-65516100-1330205065.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

An unusual venture for 45156 being on RMWeb at this time on a Saturdy, but 30747 has recorded some dreck on the TV about nine year old disco dancing divas - it is so dire that I can't even pretend to watch, so it's out with the laptop for a root around here.

Thanks for the photos Dave they do give a flavour of the exhibition, and it sounds as if a good time was had by all.

So it's goodnight from him...

• RMweb Gold

We've just watched "Iron Man". I'd recorded it when it was on Film4 recently. Aditi seems to like superhero type films so although there seem to be hundreds of channels at least we had something recorded.

We don't watch any of the singing or dancing programmes so I don't really know much about what is on with that genre of entertainment.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

I'm not really a fan of mainstream US cinema, Tony, but I have to say I rather like these 'superhero' movies. Accepting the proviso that they are rather silly and you treat them as a 'live action comic strip', they are quite enjoyable.

I especially like the Batman movies - must be the frustrated policeman in me!

Dave.

Edited by Max Stafford

Hello,

Much cooler today but still pleasant.. Lots of cloud scattered around (4 Oktas) a paler blue sky than usual with the temp at the moment a cool 22C (10:00 am)

Happy Sunday to you all

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Only just resurfaced after what I'm sure is far from enough sleep after a night out, so I guess it'll be catching more rest in the afternoon. Especially so as the weather looks rather unappealing, with a shower having just ended.

In-laws are getting a beagle in a few weeks, so we'll be visiting the breeder around noon to have a look how the little one is doing. He's about four weeks old now, if I'm not mistaken :) .

Guest Max Stafford

Beagles are marvellous dogs, Dom. Be warned though, they're very noisy when they're excited! :-)

Time to get ready; off to Whitrope for track laying work today.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

In-laws are getting a beagle in a few weeks, so we'll be visiting the breeder around noon to have a look how the little one is doing. He's about four weeks old now, if I'm not mistaken :) .

Robbie was about 5 weeks old when we first saw him and was 8 weeks old when he came home with us. Beagles seem to enjoy the same things that Cocker Spaniels do. Beagles do have rather an interesting "voice"!

• RMweb Premium

I'll be sure to pass this along, provided they don't know about these facts yet! :D

I was glad to read that it would seem things are very much looking up for you, Mick. Of course, it certainly would have been best if all this fracas could have been avoided altogether, but as long as justice is being dealt, that may yet be a big chunk of consolation for you - or so I hope.