The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all.

I know quite a few who will get a chuckle at that photo today Mike.

I hate to say it, but I've a feeling it's a fake... Despite the shadow, the yellow sign below the camera looks American to me and not British. Or maybe I just have a suspicious mind.

Anyway, morning all. Temperatures here are set to soar as high as 39 degrees today. Ok, that's Fahrenheit but I'm not letting Don and Trev get all the glory with the big numbers. :)

Spent over 2 hours in the optician yesterday. Hopefully should have a new pair of specs this time next week. Let's just hope I can cope with this pair till then. Hadn't expected it to take so long so found myself an hour late for a meeting with my division head. Thankfully he was running 75 minutes late!

Nice one Mike....

Seems like a Thursday to me.

Do I need to do a virus scan on a Mac or are they immune? Everything I've seen would suggest anti virus stuff is not required. After years of Windows stuff, it all seems a bit like going out and leaving the front door open.

Security is handled by the operating system. I just received a security update yesterday for Snow Leopard. You can get Anti-Virus programs from the usual people but all it seems to do is slow things down. I have it on my Powerbook G4 but not on my later Imac.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Morning All,

Greetings from a snowy Tutzing - It is nice to see some snow when you don't have to go anywhere!

Gordon, Macs are not totally virus free, but given that MacOS os based on BSD you get much the same virus protection as you do with any unix based OS.

Have a good day everyone...

Robert,

People often tell me that Macs "are not totally virus free" - but I've yet to come across any examples of virus' when I've asked. Do you have any?

Everytime I used to catch a virus with a PC it was with Anti-Virus software activated and up to date - so I'm pretty certain that is not the answer either!

Best, Pete.

I've had my desktop iMac a little over 3 years without any antivirus software on it and have never had any issues.

Compare that to when I got a new Windows pc and while still trying to set up the security software had already had half a dozen pop-ups appear within the first half hour of connecting to the net to install the critical Windows updates and load the security software!

It does seem cavalier to leave the Mac unprotected but Apple seem very good with their protection.

Thanks Robert et al. I had to chuckle as I had no idea what BSD was......

After reading this I'm non the wiser, but am I bovvered? No, not really... :D

"Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD, sometimes called Berkeley Unix) is a Unix operating system derivative developed and distributed by theComputer Systems Research Group (CSRG) of the University of California, Berkeley, from 1977 to 1995. Today the term "BSD" is often non-specifically used to refer to any of the BSD descendants which together form a branch of the family of Unix-like operating systems. Operating systems derived from the original BSD code remain actively developed and widely used.

Historically, BSD has been considered a branch of UNIX—"BSD UNIX", because it shared the initial codebase and design with the original AT&TUNIX operating system. In the 1980s, BSD was widely adopted by vendors of workstation-class systems in the form of proprietary UNIX variants such as DEC ULTRIX and Sun Microsystems SunOS. This can be attributed to the ease with which it could be licensed, and the familiarity it found among the founders of many technology companies of this era.

Though these proprietary BSD derivatives were largely superseded by the UNIX System V Release 4 and OSF/1 systems in the 1990s (both of which incorporated BSD code and are the basis of other modern Unix systems), later BSD releases provided a basis for several open sourcedevelopment projects, e.g. FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD or DragonFly, that are ongoing. These, in turn, have been incorporated in whole or in part in modern proprietary operating systems, e.g the TCP/IP networking code in Microsoft Windows or the foundation of Apple's Mac OS X".

Courtesy of Wikipedia.

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

Everything I've seen would suggest anti virus stuff is not required. After years of Windows stuff, it all seems a bit like going out and leaving the front door open.

Did you know that with Lion the default setting for the firewall is off? You don't get any friendly little messages letting you know this!

Never had any virus problems in 30+ years of Macs (and since the Interweb), Gordon, clutching at wooden desk.

Any problems (few) have always been conflicts within the stuff I've uploaded myself.

Contrary to popular belief, I find running 'Disk Warrior' (de-fragmentation of files and repair of permissions) every two years or so beneficial.

Others say that de-fragging is not necessary on a Mac but when the multi-million checks come up on the graph it is heart stopping to see how the files are split to any available space on the computer.

Not cheap to buy but I think it's worth it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Temperature hovering around 0C and a grey sky plus a few occasional half-hearted attempts at snowflakes although we are forecast light snow for tonight. So the shopping has been done, the remaining gaps in the freezers have been filled with sufficient rations to keep us going for several more days than we were ready for before shopping, the latest modelling mags are in stock, the woodshed has been topped up from the outdoor reserve stock - so we'll probably have a heatwave.

And I've been given the same story for the IMac - no need for any sort of additional virus checking etc programmes. Just leaves me hoping all the experts are right and the nasty folk aren't interested in moving on from Microsoft land.

Did you know that with Lion the default setting for the firewall is off? You don't get any friendly little messages letting you know this!

That was the first thing I told Gordon after he plugged it in! Why do they do that???????

Best, Pete.

Message received and understood and Firewall activated. It was the first thing I did after Pete's warning. Got a strange one with my mouse at the moment. Because I have two PC's running next to each other, there is a minor clash with the wireless mice. The Mac one sometimes just doesn't work and all I can trace it to is the PC wireless mouse. Switching it off or simply moving it seems to activate the Mac mouse and all is fine again. Weird one....

• RMweb Gold

Just watching the local news. Didn't realise just how bid things were today. Hundreds of minor accidents on black ice this morning and queues at A&E depts. as rain fell and turned immediately to ice and people slipped and fell. Thankfully I live on the coast which wasn't so badly affected.

Went to the car this afternoon though, to find icicles hanging from the sills, around the wheel arches and even from the door handles. It was raining. Weird.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

That was the first thing I told Gordon after he plugged it in! Why do they do that???????

Best, Pete.

Don't know! If it had to be off for the initial setup, I'd expect a little message to tell you about it. I have to sit on my hands to stop ordering Norton for Mac!

I have managed to get my MiniMac to output sound to my home cinema amp as well. The digital optical output shares a hole with the normal stereo mini-jack. For this task I didn't need to hit it with a cold chisel unlike the Clio or the little metal bits to hold the back in a picture frame.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Went to the car this afternoon though, to find icicles hanging from the sills, around the wheel arches and even from the door handles. It was raining. Weird.

There has just been something about it on the news, freezing rain, it falls as supercooled water and immediately turns to ice when it hits something.

• RMweb Gold

The forecast seems to imply that in this part of Essex we shouldn't being getting much snow other than a quick shower this weekend. It won't be very warm though. On Saturday it is our model rail club AGM and I've been told the heating in the clubroom has failed, I suppose that is one method of keeping meetings on time!

Tony

Morning all, glad I'm not in UK at the moment, to d**** cold!

But may be this will bring a smile to some, yesterday seemed to be a day for inventive days for truck unloading, (40 foot artic laid on its side playing completely dead, but no pic of that.) Most of the trucks here seemed to have escaped European/UK scrappers! Oldest I have seen is a 1940's "diamondT"

post-4282-0-57607600-1328852203.jpg