The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Dilbert, sorry to hear about the cat - never a nice time especially if it's an old family friend. Our two never got on that well but when Wesley had to be put out of an increasingly poor quality of life it was very noticeable how Henry missed having Wes around although it took him a very short time to realise he was now in sole command.

What a wonderful place RMweb is and especially Early Risers!

Thank you Station Master, Dilbert and Pete.

As soon as I read through the list supplied by Station Master, even before reading the other two posts, I saw and recognized the the theme from the 3rd movement of Saint Seans Organ Symphony. No wonder it seemed so familiar to me.

Before posting my query I had Googled for the answer but did not get the list supplied by Station Master.

I tried playing the video Shortliner, but my computer just froze and I had to reboot!

Hottest night of the Season so far (34C) but I managed to sleep well

Sorry about the cat Dilbert.

I hope this week is good to all.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, dilbert... :( It is odd indeed how animals appear to be able to sense certain things, much as you described.

Nothing much to report at this hour, only that it's very cold once again, so I hope covering the car's windscreen and rear window will have helped. I'll be off in an hour or so.

Have a good one everybody...

Morning All,

Sorry to hear about your cat Dilbert - rotten news :(

I didn't get on over the weekend. Too many other things going on - we went into the Taunus on Saturday afternoon for a walk which was very nice, but perishing cold! Currently the temperature is down around -12°C but we haven't got any snow. One of the good things about this cold weather is that we have had some wonderful sunshine, sunsets and clear skies.

Have a good day everyone...

Morning all. Sorry to hear your news, Dilbert. It is always hard losing any of your pets. After all, they are very much a part of your family...

Not much going on today, though no doubt the hours will just disappear somewhere. No sign of a thaw as yet.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is about 0 C here at the moment, it hasn't snowed overnight but the forecast is for a little more later this morning. I'll put Robbie's dog carrier in the car and go and collect him. I'd walk but there is all his stuff (basket, blanket, food) to collect as well.

I don't really have any plans (or lists today) but I'm sure I'll find something to do.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't get on over the weekend. Too many other things going on - we went into the Taunus on Saturday afternoon for a walk which was very nice, but perishing cold!

I can imagine it was! I bet having a cup of coffee afterwards felt incredibly good, though.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

Good luck for today Dominik.

Thanks! I think it'll be alright...especially as I'm not under that much of a pressure.

This was the view which presented itself to me a few mInutes ago...

mobile.10tnulp.jpg

Morning all. Cool but icy and slippy here and the dock's frozen over.

Going to have to get an optician appointment, as my glasses have reached that "too scratched to see through" stage. I got a new pair 3 years ago (yes, I'm a year overdue getting an eye test) and couldn't get on with them so went back to the 5 year old pair (naughty me). Unfortunately the 5 year old pair are now beyond use and I decided to try out the 3 year old pair yesterday and today until I can get to the optician. I remember why I didn't get on with them and still don't... (in fact the prescription I can see best with is my blinking 7 year old prescription which I only have in a pair of sunglasses...)

Dilbert, sorry to hear about the mouser. Hope the heating's back on soon too!

Dominik, good luck for today.

Guest dilbert

The ten day weather forecast here is for sub-zero temperatures for the next eight days.

The commercial director for one of the major retail Automotive spares groups must be sweating a bit.. Last November they did a three/four week winter tyre sales promotion 'if during Winter, there is at least twenty days of consecutive sub-zero temperatures, then we'll give a total refund on winter tyres purchased from us'. He might re-examine is whether forecast for next year... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

After I cleared the snow off the Clio and warmed it up before Aditi went to work I drove it up and down the road. The winter tyres do seem to behave as advertised on the mixture of snow, ice and slush in the road.

The roadworks on the A13 seem to be causing the traffic to be backing up and blocking the end of our road. I'll wait until it has cleared before going to collect my furry friend!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Sorry to hear about the cat Dilbert - been there, done that, several times - as a vet friend of mine always told me, we don't own animals, we are just looking after then for their alloted time.

Chilly here again, but seems to be less so than elsewhere.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. No more snow but what we have got is going very slowly as the temperature is just above freezing and all we have forecast is fist and mog as Spooner would have called it. The areas that daughter and I cleared yesterday are now looking wet which is a nuisance as the front path was drying off nicely yesterday afternoon. If I feel in the mood i might do my bit as a good citizen and clear the pavement outside - round here doing that seems to be an age thing; the only stretch cleared yesterday had been done by a chap over 70 who lives up the road.

Guest dilbert

Talking of fish, the plumber came, he saw, and he conquered. He wove his magic. I was expecting him only to fix the leak, but he also refilled the boiler, purged the radiators and fired up the boiler. Tested everything and then asked me for a brush and pan to clean up the area he was working in. Total cost = €70.

As he was leaving, I met one of my neighbours who also had a problem this weekend with their central heating - it appears that the boiler is stuffed. Anyway, I've lent her a couple of the electric radiators I bought yesterday.

Re. Cat #1, she was always the first to greet you in the morning, I'd then give her some food - a habit that will transform... dilbert

Edited by dilbert

Here's a photo I took last Saturday that may interest Dom. An EMD/Alstom/Vossioh PL42-AC arriving at my local station (Fanwood) with a multi deck passenger train of NJT:

post-9016-0-80019900-1328535227_thumb.jpg

If you go to USA & Canadian RailRoads section and click on the last post of "Stations and Depots" thread there is another photo of the carriages and you'll also be able to hear the PL42-AC (#4020). They seem very popular over here....

Best, Pete.

The ten day weather forecast here is for sub-zero temperatures for the next eight days.

The commercial director for one of the major retail Automotive spares groups must be sweating a bit.. Last November they did a three/four week winter tyre sales promotion 'if during Winter, there is at least twenty days of consecutive sub-zero temperatures, then we'll give a total refund on winter tyres purchased from us'. He might re-examine is whether forecast for next year... dilbert

That's interesting - there used to be promotions exactly the opposite of that here. If you bought snow tires and no snow fell at the airport (the official weather recording station) that winter, you got a full refund; one day of snow, you got less of a refund, etc.- rapidly diminishing to no refund at all. The first year we lived here, there was no snow recorded at the airport, many tire stores lost a lot of money, nobody's ever offered that kind of deal in the nearly 30 years since, and we've always had significant amounts of snow.