The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Just mucky weather here.

What's new?

For a change, we've missed the snow so far.

⬆ I realise exams are stressful but feel they should be approached with a degree of fatalism.

If they start tomorrow, you can't 'learn' any more now so get some rest and go with the flow.

Top Tip: Make sure your feet are comfortable.

• RMweb Gold

I knew someone whose mind went blank and passed a sociology exam by making up research findings and crediting them to the owner of a removal firm whose name was painted large on a van he could see from the exam room.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this technique though Dominik. As already suggested, today is probably a day for relaxing and charging your batteries.

Edited by BoD

Morning all. Nope, no snow here. If it does I thinks we'll all have something to worry about!

So as others had been attaching photos from their walks, here's one from mine yesterday ( around 36c)

Enjoy your day . Keep safe.

Trev

post-4282-0-36688900-1328428666.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Morning, back to just grey here which has been the pattern of the winter so far.

Nothing much planned today except to watch rugby, make a cake and continue battle with my blasted double slip.

Have a good one

Morning.

I was just taking a look at the 10 day forecast for the Gotham City area. 9 out of 10 days look "Sunny" temps in the mid to high 40's. I'll take it!

Today they are saying expect a few snow showers between 6:00am and 8:00am, possibly an inch of the white stuff, I'll take that too - temp later will be 42f, nae probs!

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Very quiet here in Worcestershire. It looks like 2-3 inches of snow fell yesterday. We'll be going for a little walk later. I'm sure Robbie is having fun in the snow back home. I don't think my brother's elderly cats seem too keen on going out at the moment.

His snow driving technique was based on muddy road experiences in Nigeria. He did say that probably when he was there a power winch was more useful than 4 wheel drive.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, The dusting of snow we had yesterday evening is now a slushy mess. Normal for Suvern Ampshire.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Earworm of the day: Che Gelida Manina (Your tiny hand is frozen). Somewhat appropriate!

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, previous optimism was unfounded it clearly froze again sometime after bedtime so we now have icy snow. The sun is up so I am delaying snow shovelling in the hope of some melting away. The dog loves snow last night she transformed the blanket of snow on the front garden so much it looked like the aftermath of a massive snowball fight.

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

We had about 3 -4 inches of white stuff in total and now with the temperature just above freezing there's some melting going on but that isn't stopping me getting the younger family members out with the snow shovel and broom on the front path. Probably do 'em good but we are promised a smidgeon of sleet for tonight so I might have something to do tomorrow as son is back to work and daughter will be off for another day in the PRO at Kew.

cheers, Mike

BoD said: "I knew someone whose mind went blank and passed a sociology exam by making up research findings and crediting them to the owner of a removal firm whose name was painted large on a van he could see from the exam room."

He obviously wrote in decent English - the first requisite for examinations.

I think I told ERs about the chap who received a Certificate for Woodwork - a GCE he hadn't taken.

Now he heads up a timber firm in Sweden.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

We seem to have (so far - touch wood) missed the snow - it fell as heavy rain last night and I did remark to 30747 that where it met the cold air further East there would be a problem, as the rain was actually torrential. I think that here in the West, we are under the Atlantic air at present, so temperature is in positive territory. 30747 and I went for a lovely walk, and have now lit the stove, but so far, not fired up the CH again as the house seems to be relatively warm. I've got to say that the multi-fuel is an excellent device indeed - and the log delivery man turned up with a supply of frozen logs - seems that his morning deliveries were further North up round the back of Kendal, where the weather was less clement - his expectation of being here by lunch time was optomistic, and he didn't leave his depot with the second load until after 2. He forgot part of the order, and promised to bring it later, which he did, around 6.30. I've got to say that I would recommend the service of Logs Direct to anybody - they do go an extra mile. Logs will need a bit of drying out but should be usable after stacking by the stove-side for a day or two, so a rotation process will be best.

Regards to All

Stewart

Well, we didn't get the promised inch of snow even though it is snowing right now just to the north of Atlantic City - but only lightly. Sun just came out, lovely!

By Thursday of this week the Sun will be up by 6:59am, which means it will start getting light by about 6:25am. Another week (or ten days without snow is something to cheer about. We've only had 3 inches so far this season.

I think I'm the only person in my street without a Log Stove - they seem to be de rigeuer in this country (of course). I do have a regular fireplace, however - but I believe Stoves are more efficient and less drafty.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your encouragement, guys! All I'm really doing at this time is refreshing my memory about the stuff we did this term, and as all three exams are roughly from the same field (didactics), there's a rather significant common ground to them. Which of course reduces the amount of stuff I needed to revise!

In addition, I just looked up which term results will actually be relevant for my 1st stage probationary exams, as I was not entirely sure recently. Turned out none of the three exams next week are, so scoring lower than A wouldn't hurt at all. But of course I will see to getting the best possible result in any case - even if only to be sure I sufficiently understood the relevant topics. Also, of those twelve term results which are counted into the final exam mark I have six in the bag already - all being A grades.

I saw the film "Babe" on TV last night. It's about a pig which becomes a 'sheep pig', i.e. able to herd sheep like a sheep dog.

Totally for fun BUT can anyone tell me the name of the theme music played throughout.

It was a theme from someone's well known symphony which I immediately recognized as familiar but I cannot place.

Can anyone name it? Please.

It has turned out a hot breathless day. Phew. It will be difficult to get to sleep tonight.

• RMweb Gold

I saw the film "Babe" on TV last night. It's about a pig which becomes a 'sheep pig', i.e. able to herd sheep like a sheep dog.

Totally for fun BUT can anyone tell me the name of the theme music played throughout.

It was a theme from someone's well known symphony which I immediately recognized as familiar but I cannot place.

Can anyone name it? Please.

This link appears to list all the music from the film Don but as it's a good while since I saw it I can't remember which one is the theme song http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112431/soundtrack and here's a link with the trailer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112431/

Guest dilbert

Don't often participate in this forum thread but today has been very strange - the central heating decided to stop functioning very early this morning (due to a burst pipe - plumber will arrive first thing tomorrow) and Cat #1 has gone to meet the Chief Mouser in the Sky. She had been ill for a few months but wasn't suffering - suddenly life seems so quiet. The kids who had grown up with her are very muted at the moment. The other cats knew something was going to happen - their behaviour was 'different' today.

A dumping of snow during the night meant an interesting trip to the local DIY store for some electric radiators... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

Back in Essex. Found about six inches of snow on top of the Renault when we got home. The drive was clear as the lovely neighbours had done ours as well.

Pete may recall the A127 Arterial Road, that was salted but reduced width, but apart from that until we got within a mile of home all roads were clear. Our road will be horrible if it freezes tonight.

It feels quite odd not having Robbie here, I'm collecting him tomorrow morning. I'm sure he will have had a lovely weekend playing in the snow.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Sorry if I'm bad tempered, cynical and generally negative these days folks. Not like I'm experiencing any of the trials some of you guys have been or are experiencing, in fact that just makes me more annoyed about it and it must be annoyance to anybody else coming across it when you've had a rough day.

Must be the time of the month, never mind.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the mog, Dilbert. Tony, I bet you'll be chuffed when your little mate arrives in the morning. Abi's just gone back to the in-laws as I'm on earlies the next three days.

I'll have to check the door decals on the cars tomorrow morning for any signs of individual creativity!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

I'll have to check the door decals on the cars tomorrow morning for any signs of individual creativity!

Dave.

I thought the Vermont police decals (in that other thread) looked as if they were sponsored by Ben and Jerry. I don't actually recall seeing any police cars at all in Vermont though when I was there. I did get to sit in a police cruiser in Simsbury, Connecticut .

Edited by Tony_S