The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It's snowing again - straight onto the ice from last night. Great.

I have never seen flakes as big - some of them are the size of my palm.

Take care if you are travelling back up this weekend Mike.

Robert you either wear enough insulation to look like micheilin man or you are completely mad

A bit of both to be honest!

I had two pairs of thick socks on, thermal gloves, a thermal cap under my helmet, an undershirt, overshirt and thermal jacket. Having said that, by the time I got back I thought some of my extremities were going to drop off!

I am not going out today - it is even colder! :icon_eek:

Take care if you are travelling back up this weekend Mike.

I'm travelling back up tonight if the roads are clear! Ulp! Carter Bar's closed both ways at the moment so if that doesn't reopen I'll need to go via Coldstream.

Just up at the Black Horse at Beamish for lunch with my parents, 2 cousins and their partners. Will report back on meal. It's recently reopened after a year close for refurb/extension.

That looks very appetising.

Are you like me then? Avoid the A1 at any cost.

Meal and setting were lovely - and free wifi too! Definitely recommend a meal there, though unless you have a huge appetite, skip the starter. I was full halfway through my main course. Very helpful staff, even giving their stranded customers a tow or helping dig them out!

Always avoid the A1 if I can, it's such a long way round! Usually go up by Jedburgh, sometimes by Coldstream.

I find that the A1 north of Newcastle turns into a poor imitation of an English B road - for a Main Route it is absolutely appaling. I always use Coldstream simply because, if you get stuck behind a lorry (or even worse a typical Sunday-afternoon-motorist) on the Jedburgh road, that is EXACTLY where you will stay - BEHIND IT! Passing opportunities are VERY limited, because of the bends. BUT also remember that it is CAMERA COUNTRY.

angry.gif

I expect the A1 is very different to how I remember it now that there are so many cameras about - things have changed quite a bit in the 10 years that I have been out in Germany.

I used to drive up to Middlesbrough occasionally and the "country lane" sections were quite good fun if the traffic was light (I drove an Impreza) but that was rarely the case and it was usually a 30mph crawl behind an HGV. The dual carriageway sections were almost worse - either 30mph in the inside lane (behind the same HGVs) or 90mph in the outside lane to keep up with the other traffic. In a word, 'orrible!

• RMweb Gold

At least the Jedburgh and Coldstream routes are a more pleasant and often quieter drive when compared to the A1. Also, I know where to get a decent all day breakfast on both.

I have to agree about the camera country comment too ..... and I can't believe for one minute that some aren't placed in revenue earning spots rather than accident blackspots, but let's not get into that discussion here, for fear of saying something untoward.

I'm safely back in Edinburgh now, though I have made a minor modification to the bodywork of the car...! :icon_redface:

Made it over Carter Bar fine and down the hairpin bends (despite an inch of snow on the road all the way from Otterburn), then on the descent into Jedburgh I was clearly the first car coming down since the snow, the car skidded on a hill, stalled, slid gracefully across the road and into a wall (actually, I think it was the parapet of a bridge). Fortunately no major damage and was able to carry on to Edinburgh. There's just a tiny modification to the front right wheel arch...

Saw two gritters the whole way, despite fresh snow on the roads all the way from Otterburn, up over Carter Bar, down through Jedburgh, St Boswells, Lauder, Pathhead and right the way into Leith. The only two gritters I saw were on the A1 at Newcraighall (near Musselburgh) and on Great Junction Street in Leith. Where on earth were they all?! :icon_frustrated:

It's snowing now in Leith again, and seems to be settling.

• RMweb Gold

The only time I've driven to Scotland up the eastern side of the country was in August. It was some years ago and I think we left the A1 and went up the A68 and went through Jedburgh. Our main aim was to get to the campsite at Rosemarkie by 8pm. We had a car then that was very good at overtaking uphill (too scary downhill) and did get there just as the site was shutting up for the night. It was a really cold summer in Scotland that year.

Tony

Seems you guys have the worst of it. It's cold and frosty here but not much else. Drive carefully guys if you're on the road....

Enjoying the darts with young Mr Taylor hanging in there. I see he's playing an even younger fella from up your way DD. Could go either way at the moment as it's early days.

Good result for your boys BoD. Any win for Sunderland has to be good news. 4th round draw tomorrow, so here's hoping for an easy draw for you guys.....

• RMweb Gold

The only sports I've watched recently on the television were cricket from South Africa and outdoor ice hockey from Boston. The weather seemed appropriate in both locations.

Our neighbours came home today as they were able to make a break from the hillside in Denbighshire where they were staying. They had a great time with their family but did appreciate the milder Essex climate. However our friends from Norfolk seem to be getting snow dumped on them tonight and may not be able to get out of their village tomorrow to make the trip here.

Tony

Guest Max Stafford

Don't forget the meter metereo metro weather people said there was a good chance of a mild winter.

(Video Trailer voice)..."From the people who brought you 'Barbecue Summer'...! ;)

Dave.

Morning All,

It's snowing profusely here this morning - I have just been outside shoveling snow and gritting the pavement outside my house.

I'm off to see some friends later - so hopefully the roads aren't too bad!

Have a good day everyone :icon_wave:

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

'Twas a little bit of snow in the air when I got up and the cars parked outside are covered again. Supposed to remain quite cold over the following week.

Let's see where I may be heading after breakfast! :lol:

I used to be useful with the Arrers, Gordon.

Days gone.

Can't imagine myself watching it on TV though.

Not to my taste but each to his own.

I've vaguely heard of the Denbigh lad but couldn't tell you his name.

Unusual request from someone who bought the completed Garage Diorama I did.

Will I do one in 1:43 scale.

Is that 7mm or close to it?

Sounds like an expensive request.

Weather is mucking horrible with more to come.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Snow on ice here again this morning.

I don't like this being stuck in the house. Mrs S. has just said "I've been thinking ......"

I'm going for a walk. I may be some time.