The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I seem to remember that German FedEx do not deliver on Saturdays, except when senders choose it as an option. In fact, only DHL have Saturday deliveries as a standard, if I'm not mistaken.

Worst of it is, their depot's 11 miles and half an hour's drive away on the opposite side of town to go and collect it! Hey ho... If it arrives today, I'll let you know!

• RMweb Gold

I seem to remember that German FedEx do not deliver on Saturdays, except when senders choose it as an option. In fact, only DHL have Saturday deliveries as a standard, if I'm not mistaken.

Aditi was ordering so much stuff from Amazon that she got an Amazon Prime account. For an annual payment of 40 something Pounds you get next day delivery on all your purchases from them (not necessarily from Amazon Marketplace sellers). This includes Saturday delivery. Now that she no longer needs her books the day before she orders them we may discontinue it but it has been very useful.

My favourite courier at the moment is DPD. They give an expected delivery time window of an hour. So far they have always delivered within it even while others were complaining about volume of seasonal business at Christmas.

Edited by Tony_S

Aditi was ordering so much stuff from Amazon that she got an Amazon Prime account. For an annual payment of 40 something Pounds you get next day delivery on all your purchases from them (not necessarily from Amazon Marketplace sellers). This includes Saturday delivery. Now that she no longer needs her books the day before she orders them we may discontinue it but it has been very useful.

My favourite courier at the moment is DPD. They give an expected delivery time window of an hour. So far they have always delivered within it even while others were complaining about volume of seasonal business at Christmas.

Unfortunately what I wanted wasn't available from Amazon, but I'd agree about DPD - they were very good during the Christmas period. One package from them arrived in a taxi - I asked the taxi driver if that was unusual, and he said that at that time of year, it was more cost effective for them to send out in taxis than employ extra delivery drivers and buy/hire more vans!

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should ask my model rail shops if they might have a similar kind of programme! :lol:

We had a letter from the vets yesterday enclosing a card enrolling Robbie in their "Loyalty Card" scheme. I'm sure he will appreciate it when I go and purchase his worming tablet.

• RMweb Gold

We had a letter from the vets yesterday enclosing a card enrolling Robbie in their "Loyalty Card" scheme. I'm sure he will appreciate it when I go and purchase his worming tablet.

Our Henry (a cat for those who've not previously heard of him) has been a 'Patient of The Month' in the past - but didn't get any money off his bill as a result.

• RMweb Gold

"I must admit to never having seen sausages either in the wild or on farms."

You never played in our First XV.

My mother worked in a small grocery shop with a meat counter. (I think the owner had hopes of it being a delicatessen). One of my mother's colleagues would not believe that sausages or black puddings were manufactured products. She was absolutely convinced that they were some porcine internal organ.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

First off, good news there, Tony.

Very cold here - last night we had sleety rain which was sticking to the car, so I couldn't get a cover on it - inevitably it froze last night, so the doors were frozen shut, and the scraping operation took about 20 minutes. We had planned to go to York first thing, but opted to leave a bit later - roads in places were pretty bad, as though grit was on ration, or all the gritters broken down - we saw a couple of cars through the hedge. I remarked to 30747 that a lot of drivers seemed not to be paying much heed to conditions on the road, and were instead relying on four wheel drive, traction control, and other gadgets. IMHO there is no substitute for care and attention, and treating every damp patch on the road as possibly being ice.

As to stories about delivery, we had a rum experience at the hands of the Royal Mail the other day. We were expecting a Special Delivery 1 pm guaranteed parcel - it had not arrived by 1.15, but was showing on the Royal Mail website as being delivered at 12.24. 30747 managed to find the post woman to aske where it had been delivered to, and it was still in the van at 13.25, though it was shown as delivered - Royal Mail are investigating, but methinks that a severe telling off or worse is coming somebody's way - at present, it looks as if the delivery lady faked the delivery time to cover up the fact that it was going to be late.

Anyway

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I remarked to 30747 that a lot of drivers seemed not to be paying much heed to conditions on the road, and were instead relying on four wheel drive, traction control, and other gadgets. IMHO there is no substitute for care and attention, and treating every damp patch on the road as possibly being ice.

My car has everything but I still drive as if it doesn't in adverse conditions. Now even in the especially mild climate of our bit of Essex we do get the occasional bad winter or icy morning. The usual excuse is that drivers don't have any experience of ice and snow. So if I were experiencing nasty conditions that I hadn't seen before I'd be careful not carry on as if it were dry. Robbie and I were returning from the vets one day before Christmas when it was a bit icy. Someone exited their gravel drive at speed and went into a skid on the slightly icy pavement and didn't quite manage to make it to the road, ending up parallel parked on the footpath, fortunately no animals were harmed.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

I'll be off to the bakery in a few. Been plagued by aches upon getting up once again, so the first thing to take care of was taking some ibuprofen. I sure hope the doc will be able to come up with a more permanent kind of remedy on Thursday.

But anyway...have a good Sunday everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

The fog was retreating towards the river when I first looked out this morning. Fairly clear now but a bit chilly. Not that I've been out, but Robbie has, I'm not sure why damp dogs think it is endearing to shake themselves over their human.

I'm not planning to do much today.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Depressed by England's performance in the test but then lifted by Newcastle's result in the F.A. Cup.

I feel so lucky that it is only such trivial things that I have to worry about.

Have a good day and take care of yourselves.

BoD, that's just made my day. Go Brighton!

We're off to a lunch for PKU patients and their families today. The dieticians at the hospital organise this every year for January. They used to do it before Christmas but found people were too busy and stressed. We used to take over a large Italian restaurant in the centre of Glasgow but it was ridiculously cramped the last few years so this year we're using a conference suite in the Crowne Plaza, right opposite the BBC studios. Last time I had a conference there I bumped into the bald chap from Masterchef and others mentioned seeing Dermot Murnaghan (they were filming Eggheads). Wonder if I'll see anyone famous today?

Dominik, hope you get the pain relief sorted out soon.

Have a good Sunday all!

Morning all, bright and sunny out side at the moment, with the temperature well into the 20's.

Not been up long, as I did a fare bit of today's report writing last night till quite late. No peace ! (not that there's much else to do !) I do have some proad side photos of an 20 inch gauge loco, that I need to turn into a drawing, so that just may be I can do a bit of modelling....

Otherwise have a good Sunday all,

Trev