The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Still am, Mike, DD. Got over that one in the early seventies (when I first started coming to the 'States).

Thing is though, despite many, many visits they were mostly to New York, LaLaLand or Miami. You have to live somewhere a bit off the beaten track to fully appreciate the country. Despite what we see on the TV in Europe the 'States is essentially a very rural country.

Mick: here's a tip, drape the hair from your ears over the top of your head....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold
I did say hello - just as you shot back across the cab to the Driver's side and obviously very busy so I didn't shout across, especially with a crowd on the footplate.

Sorry again - would have liked to have said hello. What trip was that? Looking back if it was Alton end it all seems a bit of a blur - we just seemed to have mega quick turn rounds there yesterday. I got picked up by the inspector for not checking round the loco at either end every trip, which is a new thing they've bought in (I usually do it Alton end middle trip) so had to look busy.

I wasn't going to let this out, but the way things are going on the MHR I think I will possibly resign from the footplate at some stage this year. I still enjoy the responsibility and craft of driving the things but the bulls**t surrounding it grows exponentially. A new hierarchy of inspection, empire building, overly onerous crap purporting to be H&S is slowly but surely blurring the lines between a very satisfactory hobby and my job. Once they become one and the same that will be it for me, and it will be back to just restoring the things.

RIP common sense.

Morning All,

That's quite a flashlight Dominik! I've got a similar thing in the cellar - but that uses a halogen bulb rather than LEDs. I wouldn't want to have to solder all those LEDs!

My oven is now fixed! The parts arrived from Siemens and in ten minutes everything was back to normal.

Once they become one and the same that will be it for me, and it will be back to just restoring the things.

<tongue in cheek>

Ooooh - Restoring?!? Have you any idea how dangerous that could be? All that steam, and cogs and the potential for you to injure yourself.

</tongue in cheek>

Ridiculous really - A colleague had a go at me a little while ago about valve equipment. He proceeded to tell me how dangerous it was, and how nobody should be fiddling around with that sort of stuff because of how dangerous it was, and blah, blah blah.

I pointed out that I take all the relevant safety precautions for high voltage when working on equipment but his idea was that anything older than ten years should be thrown away as unsafe! Bizarre.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Gold

Sorry again - would have liked to have said hello. What trip was that? Looking back if it was Alton end it all seems a bit of a blur - we just seemed to have mega quick turn rounds there yesterday. I got picked up by the inspector for not checking round the loco at either end every trip, which is a new thing they've bought in (I usually do it Alton end middle trip) so had to look busy.

I wasn't going to let this out, but the way things are going on the MHR I think I will possibly resign from the footplate at some stage this year. I still enjoy the responsibility and craft of driving the things but the bulls**t surrounding it grows exponentially. A new hierarchy of inspection, empire building, overly onerous crap purporting to be H&S is slowly but surely blurring the lines between a very satisfactory hobby and my job. Once they become one and the same that will be it for me, and it will be back to just restoring the things.

RIP common sense.

11.55 off Alton - your last trip (?) as I noted you changed over at Ropley (talk about a spy in the train). Interesting to note subsequently that you weren't the only one not to go round the engine both ends on every trip and if they want to talk about 'safety' I'll happily pay them a visit and start where it really matters with a chat about the order in which things should be coupled when an engine is attached to a steam heated train plus an improvement to the signalling at Alton which would save some time and leave it for more important things - I really shouldn't be visiting these sort of railways and I shouldn't perhaps be talking about the difference between H& S blather and 'safety'.

• RMweb Gold

11.55 off Alton - your last trip (?) as I noted you changed over at Ropley (talk about a spy in the train). Interesting to note subsequently that you weren't the only one not to go round the engine both ends on every trip and if they want to talk about 'safety' I'll happily pay them a visit and start where it really matters with a chat about the order in which things should be coupled when an engine is attached to a steam heated train plus an improvement to the signalling at Alton which would save some time and leave it for more important things - I really shouldn't be visiting these sort of railways and I shouldn't perhaps be talking about the difference between H& S blather and 'safety'.

That was our first (and worst!) trip up from Alton of the day. We have to have a break on that trip (H&S again) a relief crew take over Ropley to Alresford and back.

Interesting about looking around the loco etc - that was a senior inspector who took over at Ropley for our break.

That was definitely a quick turn round at Alton on that trip as we were late in due to the brake problems at Ropley.

Signalling at Alton is interesting - no human intervention is required apart from choosing route at 55, ie platform or siding (55 is the one out on the Meon loop) and then inserting the token on the platform for the return trip. Everything , moving of points, change of aspect etc. is controlled by the movements of the train and loco from the track circuiting. The signalbox can of course be switched in for high days and holidays, different timetables etc., but most of the time it is fully automatic.

We were all sceptical when it was bought into use but, praise where it's due, it has worked pretty much flawlessly from day one.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Late on parade today as had to try to get the old Ebay account revived, as 30747 has decided to acquire another teddy and to make room, we need to sell a couple - I had forgotten how to get things on there, and it took ages.

Chilly here, and also quite breezy still with gusts of about 30mph - also seems that the stove is not running too well, as the logs seem a bit damp, and the wind speed and direction is causing the flue to draw very strangely.

Not yet had to resort to a clipper cut on the barnet, as unlike some family members, I seem not to have inherited the usual baldness. I still have a full head of hair, with very little grey, so a haircut is not really a barbershop job yet - the same lass has cut my hair for many years now - regrettably she is now the manager of a very posh salon, so a haircut is a second mortgage job for me.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Yeah, another five days to go till the next weekend... <_< Feeling a tad knackered at the moment and my neck's acting up again, which is odd, as I believe my pillow is sufficiently well cushioned. Oh well...

Have a good Monday, if such a thing is possible...

Hi All,

lots scattered bits of cloud at various heights. A lovely cool (cold) breeze blowing which is a welcome relief after the past many days of stifling burning heat both day and night..

Thursday is forecast for a return of heat, but I will enjoy the intervening coolth.

Is "coolth" a recognized word? I hope so. To me it says what I mean.

I hope this Monday is kind to you all and begins a pleasant week.

I too was amazed at the variety of livestock harboured in Mick's hair.

I have been attending the same 'barbers' shop for 20-30years but when I went on Friday it had become a 'hair stylists', with

accompanying increase in price. Compared to UK, though probably still a bargain - R80.00 - BPS 6.66

Edited by DonBradley

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

We had a very pleasant afternoon yesterday with our visitors from Enfield. I feel though as I if I need another 8 hours sleep, must be the exertion of playing trains on Saturday and eating too much on Sunday.

Stewart, is it a special edition bear you are hoping to acquire or a vintage bear? My mother put my teddy bear on the bonfire as she thought it looked unhygenic. When Aditi was little she and her parents lived in hospital accommodation. Matron gave Aditi and her sister a teddy bear that they called Sally. When their younger brother appeared he got the bear and for some reason it was renamed Pickles. Even though it has straw poking out of seams it still exists.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

First time I have posted on wheeltappers. Anyway 69 today , nice card from Mrs.H ,

one of the Christopher Ware range. Black 5 in the snow at Levisham.

Off for a plod up the hill now ,see my user photo.

Dave

Happy Birthday, Dave. I would have quite a walk to be able to have a walk up a proper hill (though of course I do live near the site for the Olympic Mountain Bike event.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Stewart, is it a special edition bear you are hoping to acquire or a vintage bear?

It is a special edition by a German bear artist, and is 1 of 12 made to the pattern and sold exlusively (originally) through one of the UK's most exclusive teddy retailers - this maker's bears now command over £1200, so finding one on Ebay at a very low (comparatively) proce is good news. 30747 is, luckily, very well up on her teddies. I am just hoping that this one works for her.

Morning All

Off to the Drs this morning for blood tests etc. In fact, must shoot as appointment is in 15 minutes.

Regards to All

Stewart

Morning all. Family all departed so peace and quiet reigns again. Glad to hear you were able to get your book Stewart. Hope you enjoy the read.

Southampton show at the end of the week so the gang of five will be meeting up, followed by lunch and then back to Geoff's Mangarth layout for a play.

Looking forward to seeing Gresley Beat again.

Edited by gordon s