The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Gordon, if you had bought a Win 7 PC the software included would have been Paint. That lets you do a few basic things to photos. The nearest free equivalent from Microsoft is Windows Live Photo Gallery. Lots of other stuff is available (Picasa, HP Photosmart bundled with printer) My Canon software wouldn't run but Win 7 recognised the camera and anything the Canon stuff did Photo Gallery or Picasa does. I#

I'm not very demanding though and hardly ever use the laptop that has Photoshop installed.

Pete, nice diesel, filled the screen to the sides but some scrolling up and down required but I'm only using 1680x1050 resolution.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps I should have done it with the ###### marketeers.

I remember attending a lecture where the difference between sales and marketing was explained to us lesser mortals.

As a telecommunications engineer my brother just got used to the client telling him that the salesman (now usually safely back in the UK) had assured them that etc...

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Good pic. Pete. (big and small).

The most useful thing about iPhoto was the slideshow - complete with built in variations.

I've spent some time deleting any pictures I couldn't grab from the portfolios.

No point in using up storage if the software doesn't work.

Not a problem - I've been using my own system for a while.

• RMweb Gold

Reminds me of an old customer service film with John Cleese with the classic line "who sold you this then"...

Found part one on YouTube. Brilliant!

When Aditi was telling me about the noise from the car it got a bit like the "what kind of noise?" section of the film.

My brother did end up in a customer support role which always seemed odd to me as he is somewhat obsessive and it must have been very frustrating to be surrounded by stuff that didn't work.

Now that he has retired he has a nice time, he goes to the pub, people tell him about their computer problems, he solves it, they buy him beer!

I remember seeing that Cleese film when I was in sales and companies were realising that the stores guy or service guy could kill your business. For me it was our receptionist and here I struck gold. We had a temp that was absolutely charming, wonderful telephone manner and quite simply the best I had ever come across. Offered her a full-time job, but made her an offer she couldn't refuse by paying her several £k over the going rate and she stayed with us for years. The best investment I ever made. She must have put thousands on our order book as customers just loved her.

A further iPhoto update. After a few more attempts I have managed to get it functioning. The keywords are hidden from you but working. Interesting concept. Stick all your pics in one pot but before you do that add several keywords to each image. Thankfully they can be done in bulk. Typically for me, Railways, Eastwood Town, Locos, Comet, B1 Chassis and a search on any one of those keywords brings the pics up in a blink. It takes just a few seconds to add the keywords as when you type Ea...it immediately brings up Eastwood Town or anything else beginning with Ea...

Clever stuff so far. Just a shame it's not functioning 100% as it could be a powerful tool and if I'm honest, better than my old method of directories and sub directories. Another one of those "forget everything you've learned moments".

• RMweb Gold

I remember seeing that Cleese film when I was in sales and companies were realising that the stores guy or service guy could kill your business.

I don't know about killing the business one implied it would be us that pegged it. Just after we moved in here we had to have a water meter fitted. The chap who did the work just went on about how we were all doomed with the state of the water supply. In spite of all "You mark my words it'll be etc" no one seems to have died or suffered whatever he was on about!

Morning all,

Oh yes the John Cleese film, it took a bit of explaining to some hairy a**** plant fitters !!!! But the principles are the same whatever the product.

Apart from that the strike here has been suspended, so I'm going to go to my nearest project this morning.....

Enjoy your day

Trev

Those John Cleese films must have enjoyed a monopoly (specially in the 80's)!!

Morning everybody, wicked day in Gotham yesterday even without snow - winds gusting to 50mph in zero and below temps.

Gordon, you're a better man than me - I'd be lost without having Maria trisonic to hand........

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Slightly windy out here this morning, but looking fairly friendly at the moment. However, it is predicted to be cooler over the next several days, so I wonder if we may yet get our share of wintry weather.

We ended up purchasing a commode at the Swedish furniture house yesterday, assembling which will be the first item on the agenda after breakfast.

Cheers everyone!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It has been frosty all night. I had to scrape the Clio's screens clear before I went to the station at 8pm yesterday. I could have cheated and gone in my my car (heated screens, rapid demist features!) but I assumed Aditi would be pleased to see her car back in use.

We may be going to Enfield today but Aditi hasn't told her mother this yet.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

iced over at 04:30 this morning in crewe, very little heating on the train into birmingham at 5 too

currently sat on tyseley depot on 67013 while one of the mark 3s has its wheels turned, doors closed, seat back, heaters on, lovely!!

• RMweb Gold

We ended up purchasing a commode at the Swedish furniture house yesterday, assembling which will be the first item on the agenda after breakfast.

Having taken the "History of Furniture" option with woodwork at school I know what you mean but commode in English nowadays usually refers to one used for a very specific use!

Great start to the day. Leaned over to insert a SD card into the slot at the side of the monitor and pushed it into the CD slot instead... :O

Unplugged it and had visions of taking the whole thing apart to get it out, but once again the internet came to the rescue. Glad to know I'm not the only idiot on this planet.

The day can only get better. Have a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpwDfpH4hR0

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having taken the "History of Furniture" option with woodwork at school I know what you mean but commode in English nowadays usually refers to one used for a very specific use!

Right - been aware of both this term and "dresser", but not completely so about their respective connotations. We'll be placing it in the kitchen for additional storage space in any case.

• RMweb Gold

Having never studied the 'History of Furniture' or commodes in any great depth, I was wondering about that but didn't like to ask.

I wonder what name IKEA would give to a commode, probably Gazunda Storage Unit.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Unplugged it and had visions of taking the whole thing apart to get it out, but once again the internet came to the rescue. Glad to know I'm not the only idiot on this planet.

The day can only get better. Have a good one.

That is a good tip but Mike's use of Garfield toy to dismantle iMac is still the best one!

Late on today. I was online around 7:00 am, my time, 5:00am UK time but podponed posting until more people were on, but got side tracked.

A cooler night last night so had a better nights sleep.

Foot NOT feeling so good.

I'm afraid the only meaning of "a commode" of which I was aware was the one made of porcelain. i live and learn.

Enjoy the weekend all.