The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Having read some reports of the details of the incident he was trying to run over officers by reversing and going forward very fast.  I think it is the correct verdict.  I feel sorry for the officer who now has to wait to see if the IOPC is going to recommend disciplinary action against him. That could take at least a year from past experience. 

Jamie

I wonder just how many Firearms Officers have said "Bvgger this, they can find someone else to do ARV"?  I very much suspect that a lot were also waiting to see the outcome of this Trial.

edit:  From the Beeb 10pm News:  It seems The Big House/The Yard were worried enough to have the Army on standby to provide cover in the event that enough put their ticket in.

BH.....

Just spent several wasted hours trying to get a Tapo H200 Hub to talk nicely (or at all) with the App** via Bluetooth....nope.....🤬

Having tried everything suggested + Google searches I've concluded the Hub is u/s so it's being returned for a replacement tomorrow....

**The very same App that claims to be suitable for "4+ years upwards......"

ION.....

Bear had an automated call earlier from the Immigration Office to tell me "there is a problem with your Visa"; they even went on to (presumably) tell me exactly the same thing in Chinese and to "press button 1 to resolve the issue".  Nice try, but no Banana......

Little Wooden Hill time rapidly approaching - the leccy underblanket has been fired up.....

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And there are still a few pubs where women may only enter the Ladies Lounge and not drink on equal terms with the “blokes in the bar”. 

More from personal choice these days than any rules -  some places can be pretty grim and uninviting,   though nothing like many of them were up until maybe  the early 90's. 

I was at Granville Technical College in 1982 and 83 and Thursdays had two happy events -  lessons finished at 12, and it was payday.  The class I was in were all trainees employed by OTC (at the time the overseas arm of our telecommunications network) so we all  got paid real money to go hang out at tech for 30 hours a week. And it was real money, none of this "straight into your bank account" stuff -   half way through the AC Circuits lesson there would be a knock on the door and two grizzled  Armourguard  security blokes with a Smith And Wesson on their hips would lug in a metal strong box and call out our names as they handed us our pay-packets. (But I digress!) 

We'd spend lunch and much of the afternoon at the nearby Royal  Hotel and it was straight out of the "Australian Working Mans Suburban  Pub" school of interior design - a bare concrete floor  and  public toilet styled tiles on the wall. Once the lunchtime crush had subsided and there were just us tech students left the barman would pull out the hose, go "Lift your feet please gents!" and walk around the room hosing the lunchtime cigarette butts and spilled beer out into the street. 

During WW1 pubs had to close at 6PM to help the war effort, and this was only repealed in the late '60's. This led to an hour of frenzied beer drinking between end-of-work at 5PM and the 6 o'clock closing, known as "the 6-oclock swill". 

Thus many pub interiors  were designed less for sitting around in a cosy nook pondering the world over a quiet pint, and more into catering for dozens of customers who would try to down as many beers as possible in an hour!

image.png.600d2c72623eb6d15a47bc9601db780a.png

image.png.938936a88472e7b54f22dd63f3dcc269.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Round of applause 1

I've often wondered why quite a few programmes from the 60s and 70s - the ones that weren't wiped to save money by reusing the tapes - are not being repeated.

I suppose copyright and royalties may be an issue in some cases, but the cynic in me thinks that it may be that the TV execs believe either that

1: the millennials, generation z, etc. will absolutely shocked and horrified by the content of said programmes and would to retreat to a "safe space", have counselling etc.

or (worse and a calamity)

2: the millennials, generation z, etc. will watch said programmes and go "y'know they had a point/some good ideas/the right attitude back then".

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

One I remember watching back in the 70's was "1990" with Edward Woodward playing a journalist  living in a 1984-style society.  As a 12 year old or so  I do remember being  disturbed at the time by the idea of CCTV cameras everywhere,  watching our every move  (actually, YOUR every move since it was set in the UK!) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pik_15yXw-s&list=PLJr72PvqbS6yR3cQv3wDcfOGROZlOaPgB&ab_channel=LegolasGreenleaf-Deceased

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I've often wondered why quite a few programmes from the 60s and 70s - the ones that weren't wiped to save money by reusing the tapes - are not being repeated.

Perhaps they weren't quite as good as memory and rosy tinted specs suggest and aren't really worth the effort.

We were discussing recently the paucity of unique themes in writing. Lining up some of those series back to back might emphasize that point.

And there have been remakes like The Avengers (Emma Peel, not Marvel) was remade in 1998 with Uma Thurman in the Diana Rigg role. 

Also, there's an enormous amount of modern content on the 'streamers' (to which I don't subscribe). Different to the old days where everyone watched the same broadcast programmes - in the US and Oz there were only four channels, and besides ITV, how many BBC channels were there in the 1960s?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Today is Trafalgar Day, the anniversary of the 1805 sea battle ... Should we celebrate it? ...

As an extra public holiday, rather than one eliminating May Day, I can imagine people being enthusiastic - doubtless it could include "tapping the Admiral" in celebration.

Or you could just have another King's Birthday - like Australia where there are several (though only one per state).

I like the "should we celebrate" question. What about Armada Day? It's at least as significant as Trafalgar. Or a Battle of Britain Day?

In January 1606, HM James I gave the royal assent to the "Observance of 5 November Act 1605" - which was an act to celebrate the failure of the Gunpowder Plot and deliverance of the royal personage from danger, requiring "Ministers in every Cathedral and Parish Church, or other usual Place for Common Prayer … shall always upon the fifth Day of November say Morning Prayer, and give unto Almighty God Thanks for this most happy Deliverance". Perhaps the UK could institute this as a public holiday called "Thanksgiving" on November 5?

And then turkey could be served as families gather after attending the morning prayers of thanksgiving?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some time ago I created "Ben The Robo Collie" as a tribute to The Q's beloved Ben. Spotted yesterday at the Sony Flagship Store in the Ginza in Tokyo was Sora the new generation Sony Aibo Robot Dog.

IMG_5847.jpeg.cd7367abb38e27b825331b9ef55a3728.jpeg

Not quite "Ben the Robo Collie" but getting closer with every generation.

She (it?) is quite endearing.

Going offline for a couple of days - so it's 

日本からさよならを言います

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Just spent several wasted hours trying to get a Tapo H200 Hub to talk nicely (or at all) with the App** via Bluetooth....nope.....🤬

Having tried everything suggested + Google searches I've concluded the Hub is u/s so it's being returned for a replacement tomorrow....

It must be a  faulty hub. I just followed the instructions to connect my hub to the app and it worked perfectly first time. As have all the other devices I have added. I don’t remember anything about Bluetooth though. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I suppose copyright and royalties may be an issue in some cases, but the cynic in me thinks that it may be that the TV execs believe either that

1: the millennials, generation z, etc. will absolutely shocked and horrified by the content of said programmes and would to retreat to a "safe space", have counselling etc.

or (worse and a calamity)

2: the millennials, generation z, etc. will watch said programmes and go "y'know they had a point/some good ideas/the right attitude back then".

Or because the content is now considered to be "Not P.C.".....

The original Tom & Jerry?  Nottachance.  Even the likes of such wonders as "Top Cat" are but a mere memory (except for the fact that subversive Bear has the entire series on DVD....

And as for "Love Thy Neighbour"....well, they'd positively have a meltdown if that ever saw the light of day again.....

1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Thank you @Ozexpatriate……

I am totally ashamed…..how could I have made such a mistake……..how embarrassing. 😳 

Sally is distraught...there she is, on her death bed** and she's been confused with someone else already, even before she's cold....

She did mention that a suitably large-sized cake would help her get over the shock though.....

**With not even the plug re-usable cos' some T0sser came up with the smart idea of moulded on plugs....I guess I could rescue the fuse though, but even that is likely to be a 13A jobbie (when's the last time one of those blew?) when a 3A would be much more suitable

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Wonder how late our Late and Never Early Azoooooooma gets us to our destination today (wrecked backs are not optional.. PAH!)

Hopefully it won't be too late... I will wave to @PupCamand @polybearon the way past.

In those long lost days of a Deltic plus 8 on the Yorkshire Pullman  (silver service breakfast, free newspaper etc) travelling to the big smoke was quite comfortable.. nowbits hard seats, mini breakfasts and fewer and fewer cheap seats (the civil servants want to show they can make big profits running this railway).

In other news.. perhaps we could ban the use of AI? or, at least, stop people from using I Google to decide what mental health issues people have. Why? Well it's downright dangerous .. and  can cause more mental health issues...

Time to getvready, check my bag (again) and head for the bus.

Have a good day if you can!

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  Good weather again today so shopping to be shopped this morning then hedges to be trimmed this afternoon.  The remains of the leg of venison were incorporated into a pie last night.  Very nice indeed.  

Jamie

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Perhaps they weren't quite as good as memory and rosy tinted specs suggest and aren't really worth the effort.

We were discussing recently the paucity of unique themes in writing. Lining up some of those series back to back might emphasize that point.

And there have been remakes like The Avengers (Emma Peel, not Marvel) was remade in 1998 with Uma Thurman in the Diana Rigg role. 

Also, there's an enormous amount of modern content on the 'streamers' (to which I don't subscribe). Different to the old days where everyone watched the same broadcast programmes - in the US and Oz there were only four channels, and besides ITV, how many BBC channels were there in the 1960s?

1960s? In the UK some areas only had BBC1  no itv channels into the 1980s. The outer Hebrides received 4 channels and colour all at the same time around 1981 or 2.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Mrs JJB and I went to pay our respects to a friend who died over the weekend last night. The thought struck me that the arcance ceremonies around birth, marriage and death in Chinese culture really highlights that contrary to many old prejudices that life is neither cheap nor unvalued there. As well as China, it seems to be a common feature of many Asian societies that rituals around key life points and death are elaborate and very important. 

Another thing that always strikes me is how deep those traditions run. The Communists tried to eliminate many of them as part of modernizing Chinese society, and they were actively suppressed in some other parts of Asia where Chinese minorities have often faced some hostility. Yet they're still there, and they cross religions. Mrs JJB is Christian (and that's not just a nominal thing to put on census forms in a country like Indonesia) and our friend was Christian yet despite that the old Chinese traditions around birth, marriage and death are still observed.

China and some other Asian cultures (such as Japan) don't seem to have a problem blending tradition from different beliefs and faiths, it can lead to some pretty weird stuff but in some ways it's probably a healthier approach to life than seeing life in absolutes and a binary world. China went through that under the good chairman and cultural revolution, deciding there was one truth in life, and it didn't go well.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

I sometimes get very cross with anything IT related, just as I did when I got paid for sorting out problems with software and network.  Yesterday RM Web thought it would be fun to post a set of photos twice and then leave them in the editor in case I wanted them in my thread three times.  Today I read some posts here while I was waiting for the groceries, they showed up using "New content last 24 hours 2".  Now I come to write a post here I've had to go find ERs in" Forums".   I have checked that I have not set it to "Ignored".

Anyway, moan over, the groceries have come not exactly as ordered but one of the substitutes was recommended as good by the driver, so I shall see.  The others are things I've had before and liked so that's OK.  It is sunny, very little wind and dry so some more gardening may be done later on.  I also want to finish sorting out the photos from Sunday.

I really ought to go to a bank I use in town as it is closing very soon, I just need to check how some things will work in future.  I have opened an account with another bank which is not closing its branch to make some jobs esaier, like paying in cheqes - I find the app does not always work - as I have more than one initial it gets confused it someone puts a dot after each letter.

David

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Arghhhhh....

Got an urgent appointment to see the Fang Farrier this afternoon.

I do hate going there.

Would it be too much to suggest that said Farrier might not be overjoyed about to seeing you either. Or would that be too much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5