The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Landing + 2 bedrooms done.  Huge Tick.  I had hoped to get the 3rd (= muddlin' room) done today as well but I reckon that can wait until tomorrow now cos' I've had enough....

It's kinda blowy outside Bear Towers now - I never did get any sanding done so that's now bumped onto tomorrow's jobs list, along with cleaning the muddlin' room; I also have all the joys of a Flu Jab (hopefully without side-effects this time) to look forward to tomorrow as well (free this time 😃).  It very much looks like Mickey the MG won't get a bath until next week now.....

BG

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, polybear said:

very much looks like Mickey the MG won't get a bath until next week now.....

Hasn’t Storm Ashley liberated all the dirt from Mickey’s paintwork. It was quite a downpour in Enfield. I cleaned Aditi’s car last week before it went off for its service and MoT but it came back even cleaner, they had done a much better job removing the bits of moss growing near doors and hinges. 
Tony

• Like 12

On 19/10/2024 at 06:54, Barry O said:

@Erichill16 I hope it all turns out OK over the next week or so...come and give me ear ache next week at our show if you need someone to shout at.. might be a coffee innit for you!

Baz

Thanks for the offer and Im going to try my best to get there.

I did have a cunning play, not quite as ingenious as a Baldrick one, which involved me dropping Mil, Swmbo and Hovis at Junction ‘whatever’ shopping centre just off the M62 and then swinging round to north Leeds.

Unfortunatley we have Syd for 10 days and taking Syd to Junction ‘whatever’ is a non starter. 
Perhaps another crochet session at mils next Sunday?

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

When I came in for dinner, it was still raining, but again, not very heavily. Whilst eating dinner, the rain stopped and the sun came out, typical! Anyway, the ground was far too wet to do anything, so I went back to the workshop and finished making the steel dowels. By the time I packed up late this afternoon, I’d made 114 other them. This is slightly more than needed, but I’m of the school of thought that thinks ‘your better off looking at it, than looking for it’ so I made a few extra. Anyway, it’s not as if I bought the steel, it was acquired when one of our offices was closing and stuff on the shelves was destined for the skip! 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

A good day so far, all went well at church this morning, a simple lunch and then my lift arrived to take me to the n gauge meeting.  It is nice to be offered a lift but I have to try very hard not to move my feet to apply an imaginary brake at times!

The meeting was enjoyable and my photos were well received, I had three requests at the end for photos of various places so I'll sort them out and take them to next month's meeting.

I am now back home, on the way back the wind increased quite a lot and it is now starting to get noisy.  I shall use earplugs when I go to bed.  The latest forecast is Force 7 gusting to Force 10 so I have my fingers crossed that nothing blows away.  The car is also not parked on the drive right by the house.

After tea I think I shall simply do nothing, there is a German programme I might watch, if I don't like it I'll stream something.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Weather today has included batteringitdarn, strong winds, sun and heavy cloud..

Mangled some muddling bits today but one or two items are nearing completion.

As I am resident chef today about to prepare and cook tea.. pork, courgettes and maybe a little potato. 

TTFN

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I need to give up this forum. I'm clearly turning into a grumpy old man. Take the revised format for BBC Young Musican which has resulted in the final including two performances of the same old warhorse. And some twirp speaking between the movements - treating us the TV audience with contempt.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Hasn’t Storm Ashley liberated all the dirt from Mickey’s paintwork. It was quite a downpour in Enfield. I cleaned Aditi’s car last week before it went off for its service and MoT but it came back even cleaner, they had done a much better job removing the bits of moss growing near doors and hinges. 
Tony

You think rain is nice clean water? 

I have just started to clear away our pool ( one of the temporary ones since I don't need a 20t lump of ice in spring).  It is covered in rust coloured dirt courtesy of the storms earlier this week.

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,

I've been catching up on my reading today, the morning was wild and wet. It brightened up after lunch but by then I'd decided on a lazy day. A few odd jobs done but nothing very significant. 

As a change from writing bad introductory paragraphs to imaginary thrillers, I tried some song lyrics, which is strange as I'm not musical at all. A little while ago, I was struck by the similarity in sounds between 'awl flinger' (someone talking about @Debs.) and the name of a certain Bond villain. With all the banter about awls, super-villains and people meeting gruesome (if well deserved?) fates, I wondered about what a theme tune to a film or TV series about ERs' enforcer might be like. I know, I know, I've too much time to think... Anyway, FWIW, this is what I came up with, sung to the Goldfinger tune and with some nods to both ERs and the Bond film. You'll have to imagine the Shirley Bassey style singing! 

Awl flinger

She’s the one, the one with the deadly aim,

A pointed awl,

Such a cruel flinger,

Wags her finger at talk of models

So never speak of them

[chorus]

Early Risers do not dream of trains,

Lest it provokes a cry of pain,

For a muddler knows when the awl’s sharp,

One false word and you’re playing the harp,

Modelers beware of careless words passed,

They may be your last.

Her awl is sharp

Sharp points,

Pointed awls,

Her awl is sharp

Sharp points,

Pointed awls…

And for reference, the original Goldfinger lyrics:

Goldfinger
He's the man, the man with the Midas touch
A spider's touch
Such a cold finger
Beckons you to enter his web of sin
But don't go in

[chorus]:
Golden words he will pour in your ear
But his lies can't disguise what you fear
For a golden girl knows when he's kissed her
It's the kiss of death from Mister Goldfinger
Pretty girl beware of this heart of gold
This heart is cold

[chorus repeated]

He loves only gold
Only gold
He loves gold
He loves only gold
Only gold
He loves gold... 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The howling storm-cat of overnight has eased down into a modest breeze-kitten. I think we recorded 78mph; the granite walls didn’t even flinch. 

Dr SWMBO’s trip to see friends today was cancelled. One of those friends suffered an unexpected loss in the family yesterday so combined with wild weather the decision really made itself.

She has instead continued to get some of the routine household chores done.  That is quite a significant physical challenge for her but as I still cannot manage much more than sitting on the sofa she has gamely picked up and run with the “In sickness or in health” banner. 

Tomorrow is my rescheduled flu shot. I should be able to attend. They can have the starboard arm because the port one still has a large bruise-type mark from the emergency insertion of a drip. It never hurt and it’s fading very slowly but may leave a visible reminder for some time to come. 

Now it’s bin night. And then it is back to bed. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

I am watching a German TV programme - "Brettl-Spitzen" for anyone who watches German things.  It is a pleasant mix of folk and music in the folk idiom along with some other acts.

One of these was a very good ventriloquist with his dummy, Hippo Amanda, who could both speak and sing.   Hippo Amanda wears traditional Dirndl.  

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I think I need to give up this forum. I'm clearly turning into a grumpy old man. Take the revised format for BBC Young Musican which has resulted in the final including two performances of the same old warhorse. And some twirp speaking between the movements - treating us the TV audience with contempt.

No you need not resort to extreme measures. I have avoided this twaddle for several years .It’s irrelevant to the current situation of music education in the UK. Ask how many of the finalists are products of our UK school’s State system and you begin to see that this programme merely pays lip service to an idea long defunct. Places in our excellent music schools are filled by those from overseas with musical talent and / or those who afford their fees.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

No you need not resort to extreme measures. I have avoided this twaddle for several years .It’s irrelevant to the current situation of music education in the UK. Ask how many of the finalists are products of our UK school’s State system and you begin to see that this programme merely pays lip service to an idea long defunct. Places in our excellent music schools are filled by those from overseas with musical talent and / or those who afford their fees.

Indeed, you make some valid points - especially pertinent as state-educated No. 2 Son has applications in progress to the music colleges for a masters.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I am watching a German TV programme "Brettl-Spitzen" for anyone who watches German things).  It is a pleasant mix of folk and music in the folk idiom along with some other acts.

One of these was a very good ventriloquist with his dummy, Hippo Amanda, who could both speak and sing.   Hippo Amanda wears traditional Dirndl.

Dave, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As much as I enjoy some Germanic things (like the Currywurst and Paulaner Oktoberfest I had for dinner) A Deutscher, Dirndl-wearing hippo ventriloquist puppet does not appeal. 😉

• Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just had dinner, beef stroganoff followed by bread and butter pudding. I don't think my mum ever made a beef stroganoff but she made plenty of bread and butter puddings. She once went to make one when she found that she had no dried fruit. A search of the larder revealed a jar of chunky marmalade so that was used instead, it was delicious so marmalade bread and butter pudding was on the menu from then on.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

A search of the larder revealed a jar of chunky marmalade so that was used instead, it was delicious so marmalade bread and butter pudding was on the menu from then on.

A happy accident - like many culinary inspirations.

Allegedly "nachos" were improvised by a border town cantina proprietor named Ignacio, to serve some peckish, lady Texan shoppers after the cook had good home for an afternoon siesta.

The dish was created by, and named after, Mexican restaurateur Ignacio "Nacho" Anaya, who created it in 1943 for American customers at the Victory Club restaurant in Piedras Negras, Coahuila.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 8

8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Eyyyyup.

Apols for absence, got a bit busy yesterday.

@polybear No idea why PM didn't work, you're not blocked or anything, but all I can think of is I was allocated 'other duties' yesterday by senior management and was out until late too so wasn't logged in. 

Very wet overnight, and now windy++ and getting stronger, but oddly sunny.  At least some of those *&^%$£ sycamore leaves will blow away from the garden not in to it as the wind is westerly-S/westerly.

Lazy day today (see out late above) as after a bellyful of good curry rather later than we normally eat, sleeps wasn't on my individual menu. Pah.

Just so long as you've written return to sender with you address I'll be happy to return them to you. Else there going in the leaf composter.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Sounds to me like you'll be far better off dumping BBC Y.M.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

A miserable day, torrential rain until midday, then it dried up and the wind took over, the prognosticators forecasting gusts of up to 55mph until 2am tomorrow.

It certainly sounds very busy outside!

Hopefully the rest of the week will be a little more settled...

Fodder tonight was roast beef with spuds, peas and gravy. Unusually, I didn't have any afters, but marmalade bread'n'butter pudding sounds good, I'll have to try some!

Left over beef has been sliced, put into portions and lobbed in the freezer for later...

• Like 9

This I found incongruous. 

image.png.225ebf0bc3a051854e6c1dcab7a10bde.png

It is a photograph I took yesterday - of a wall.  It's a bit of a headscratcher.

The building on which it is applied, explains it a bit, but it still confuses. I do not know what the graphic attempts to convey, beyond "Australia".

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The building on which it is applied, explains it a bit, but it still confuses. I do not know what the graphic attempts to convey, beyond "Australia".

That in Australia, floorboards are commonly nearly as wide as doors.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7