The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

BH.....

Hall & Stairs done, Bertie the Bosch driven, T&B downed...

Right, time for Landing & Bedrooms then din dins....

BG

All sounds very energetic. Did you not know it is “International Sloth Day”?

I still have to drive over to Enfield though. I did a lot of tidying yesterday, under my computer desk and especially behind the monitor. I didn’t find any spiders but plenty of evidence they had been there. Now I have removed the old webs perhaps they will return. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, zarniwhoop said:

I was going to say it sounded a bit derivative. But then, almost all novels (or disguised biographies) tend to be derivative. So I'll settle for 'standing on the shoulders of giants' (without asking where the rest of the giants were disposed of.

It is claimed that there are only 5 original storylines, invented by the Ancient Greeks (like much else) and everything from there on variations on one of those five themes/stories.

If I was going to write Revenge of Bear, I'd take inspiration from the classic Vincent Price (who I could well see as Captain Cynical) horror comedy Theatre of Blood: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_Blood I particularly like the way Vincent Price's character disposes of each critic in a manner fitting to the Shakespearean play that critic gave a hostile and negative review to.

Carrying that over to Revenge of Bear, each selected scrote would come to a suitably unpleasant end (which may or may not involve the death of said scrote) reflective of the crime the scrote committed and aided by some appropriately and particularly high-tech wizardry from CCI GmbH.

Whilst obviously a work of complete fiction, it would be a fun little novella to write.

Edited by iL Dottore
Punctuation and formatting
  • Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

As the meme has it 

“Amateurs built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic”

It doesn't matter how well you build a ship if you drive it into an iceberg at high speed the result is unlikely to be great.

A few years ago I had to go and be shouted at by the VP for new building of a big cruise company.  My job title of technical authority sounded good but it was mainly placating people after stuff went wrong and problem calm downerer. They grounded the stern of their new toy and ended up resting the ship of one of the rudders. That resulted in what must have been a big bang in the steering gear room as the top of the rotary vane motor popped off. After he finished I pointed out that the steering gear isn't meant to carry the weight of a 200,000-ish GT ship and asked what he was suggesting we do to try and make sure it could take such a load. At that point he calmed down and was quite apologetic.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

12 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

After he finished I pointed out that the steering gear isn't meant to carry the weight of a 200,000-ish GT ship and asked what he was suggesting we do to try and make sure it could take such a load. At that point he calmed down and was quite apologetic.

Take it you enjoy your job. :)

• Like 6
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

As the meme has it 

“Amateurs built the Ark; professionals built the Titanic”

All a bit glib.

Labourers and craftsmen built the Titanic.

Professionals and cost accountants DESIGNED the Titanic according to the SPECIFICATIONS laid down by the owners.

The poor bluddy builders didn't have a say in its design "features".

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning due to a phone call from my sister and when I was about to open ER's I got the dreaded 'Not available' notice and I could only get in by opening a new tab. 

Not a bad night last night and I didn't wake up until nine. The predicted rain hasn't arrived tet but as I won't be venturing out it doesn't matter.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Eyyyyup.

Apols for absence, got a bit busy yesterday.

@polybear No idea why PM didn't work, you're not blocked or anything, but all I can think of is I was allocated 'other duties' yesterday by senior management and was out until late too so wasn't logged in. 

Very wet overnight, and now windy++ and getting stronger, but oddly sunny.  At least some of those *&^%$£ sycamore leaves will blow away from the garden not in to it as the wind is westerly-S/westerly.

Lazy day today (see out late above) as after a bellyful of good curry rather later than we normally eat, sleeps wasn't on my individual menu. Pah.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Take it you enjoy your job. :)

I did, for all it had its  moments working in class was great. I got to work on some great projects and that's where I started getting involved with IMO, EC expert groups etc. Splendid experience .

I found in most (though not all cases) the best approach was to let people rant and be nice when sent to pour oil on troubled waters. The people concerned were under pressure and dealing with angry people of their own. Usually after venting pressure they reverted to being perfectly nice. It helped that in most cases we knew eachother very well and knew we had to continue working together, which acts against burning bridges.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The Bear smiled grimly to himself, the neuronic whip provided by CCI GmbH was everything he could have hoped for, and then some. He leisurely extended a paw and turned the dial up to 10, pointing it at the bedraggled pain wracked figure hanging from chains in the soundproofed cell. "Tell me again" asked The Bear "why you thought skimming off 99% of your dogs' home charity donations to buy yourself a champagne lifestyle was a 'necessary management decision'?"

A claw hit the transmit button and the figure in chains writhed and screamed in pain. "I'll have to commend Captain Cynical on this device" thought The Bear "to stimulate pain nerves to more than they can tolerate and yet leave no physical damage is a stroke of genius"

The figure in chains raised his head, face streaked with sweat and tears: "let me die" moaned the figure, "please let me die"

"Oh no", said The Bear "we are not done, not by a longshot. We are not going to give you the beautiful and merciful release of death. No, before we are done we will empty your bank account, reduce you to penury  and then release you, naked, onto the streets with the knowledge that we can come back and repeat it all over again whenever we want"

The Bear once again hit the transmit button on the neuronic whip and wondered if CCI GmbH could come up with a version that dialled up to 20. As the figure forced a scream out of a lacerated and tortured throat, The Bear smiled and said "and that one's for the doggies.

Have to say, I was gripped up until that last line.

Here "The doggies" refers to the Western Bulldogs AFL team. So for me  it suddenly turned into a comedy skit whereby @polybear was a  deranged doggies fan who  was taking it all way too seriously.  ( Which works too, by the way!)

Perhaps you can work into the story the fact that  he was running amok among Essendon fans after brooding for years and years over this 2007  humiliation?  (seriously - let it go, @polybear!)

image.png.9d2e671211613350debdcca6e3f6b080.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

A bit late on parade today due to having a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed. 

It's a bit windy here and it's raining too, but not chuckinitdarn yet. Any plans for working outside today have been cancelled and I'm currently in the workshop making some more steel dowels. 

Back later 

Brian 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

It's rather wild and windy here this morning and the weather is a tad inclement too......................................................................nothing much to report up here in polar bear land, had both jabs for flu and covid with no dramas except a soreish arm. When the weather calms down I plan to dismantle the railway I built in the old summer house, I have plans for a different one, I will see if I have the enthusiasm for it or not.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

But I'm also the sort of dinosaur who still holds that "lol" is a familiar expression meaning "lots of love".

Is this a friend of yours ?

image.png.50e164dfa1997f8621ea52dd308084f0.png

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

One day you might just be glad you kept it maintained when there's water p1ssin' thru' the ceiling....

As I live in a bungalow if that happens to me it means my roof has gone walkabout .  😃

All my pipe work is below floor until it rises to to sinks or the bath .

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

A lot of our pipe work  is in the roof space. The roof is fine, but the threaded part of a tank filler failed and caused a leak earlier this year. All fixed, ceiling repaired and better filler valve fitted. Also following ER’s DIY Guru @polybear’s suggestion leak detectors have been deployed at various sites. We had another leak last year so the sale prices for the detectors came at the right time!
Tony

• Like 14

1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

Good afternoon everyone 

A bit late on parade today due to having a bit of a lie in and breakfast in bed. 

Lie in bed!?.....🤔

I've known a one or two who did that....

.....and some who lied when out of it! ☺️

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

A lot of our pipe work  is in the roof space. The roof is fine, but the threaded part of a tank filler failed and caused a leak earlier this year. All fixed, ceiling repaired and better filler valve fitted. Also following ER’s DIY Guru @polybear’s suggestion leak detectors have been deployed at various sites. We had another leak last year so the sale prices for the detectors came at the right time!
Tony

Which detectors did you buy Tony?  Bear's version (Blaupunkt IIRC) are no longer available....

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Which detectors did you buy Tony?  Bear's version (Blaupunkt IIRC) are no longer available....

We had a few Tapo (TP link) cameras so bought Tapo sensors so we only needed one App. The cameras have a subscription plan but the water sensors don’t need one. The first sensor needs a hub but it can cope with I think 64. I git some from Tapo directly and some from Amazon ( who had best offer etc). App has Android and IOS versions. I think it works with Alexa too but we don’t have one of those. Sensor is T300, Hub is H200. Both have alarms but alert s end up on the phone app anyway. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

As I live in a bungalow if that happens to me it means my roof has gone walkabout .  😃

And I have absolutely no idea what any of this is all about!

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

The morning has been spent by varnishing boat floor boards, cutting joints in timber, and gluing ply together.

Also sanded the microscope box, did a little more filling of that. Then the trophy case was filled as well.

Now retreated to the house, as paws were beginning to chill too much, the mobile home temperature dropped when the wind and rain appeared.. though the wind is still 10 mph below forecast. It's a mere moderate gale force 7 at 37mph at the moment.

It's just got seriously darker too.

Discovered a broken window in the garage, it wasn't broken first thing, it was a couple of hours later. it's a salvaged from the house, window, probably of 1906 vintage, the glass is quite thin, more like modern green house glass.

I suspect a dicky bird now has a headache, it's definitely a hole punched through one pane ..

Edited by TheQ
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

And I have absolutely no idea what any of this is all about!

Plumbing comes somewhere near the weather in British discussion topics! If the weather causes leaks then it becomes high priority!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2

Here we have a hot water tank, often heated by solar and usually sitting on a concrete slab down the side of the house. It has a valve thingy that its recommended you give a pull on every 12 months or so to clean out the muck, but other than that its just an annoyance to mow around cos the long grass shoots love sprouting up around it and it ends up as a haven for Red back Spiders.

If it fails then we only know about it when the hot water taps just run cold so we call a plumber and hope that a knowledgeable older bloke turns up, rather than a 20 year old covered in tatts who spends most of the time on his phone rather than working.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

I spent this afternoon doing some plumbing repairs, Mrs JJB is a tyrant, just because she identified them a mere several months ago she expects me to do it all instantly and was complaining that I was waiting for the optimum time to do them and balancing the demand on my resources with watching K dramas and playing with toy trains.

• Like 4
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

The only water pipes in my loft are to and from the boiler. They connect to the bathroom and kitchen via trunking through a cupboard that used to contain the hot water tank (I now have an evaporation boiler.) but is now used for storage. Most of the pipes for the central heating are laid along the skirting boards.

• Like 9