The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And thats just the men.😁

....Theres a period in March when we let it all hang out.

image.png.ef139811fb9344243a5ee516efa3577a.png

I think @chrisf was here for it  when he was down here,  I hope he was because its the happiest time to be here, everyone is just ... happy!  (I'd say that everyone is just... Gay! but that would be misleading!)

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Grizz said:

JJB…The first few words of your post momentarily made me think that you had written a Limerick….😂

There once was a young lady from Japan

Who met with a railway modelling man

She asked if he liked Buddhists

He replied he preferred Bulleids

And they never crossed tracks again

Edited by KeithMacdonald
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Funnily enough my early years were spent in an area covered by a volunteer fire crew, Settle in the Yorkshire Dales. Those days before pagers they were summoned by the air raid siren on the Town Hall in Settle.  Some of the crew lived across the river in Giggleswick and you would hear their cars or motorbikes heading towards Settle shortly afterwards.  The siren was tested every Saturday at 10.00.

Now I again live in a  volunteer covered area, our local 'Station de Secours' is in Néré about 3 miles away.  Les Sapeur Pompiers, also provide ambulance cover and a crew has gone past with blues and twos as I type this. Not a common occurrence. 

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I went to the Tanfield Railway today, it is their annual "Run it Weekend" when everything that works gets run.  It was very enjoyable, next week there may be some photos in my photo thread, I won't time to sort them out until at least Monday.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

One "highlight" was the standard of driving today.  Some people were driving well, at either the speed limit or the safe speed, signalling, getting in the correct lane and so on.  Most people were not!  I get particularly annoyed when people drive close behind me bullying me to go faster - sorry, it doesn't work with me, I just carry on regardless.  There are also a lot of people, many quite young, who drive very slowly.   I am always surprised when I am travelling at or just below the speed limit to catch someone up who is doing 15-20mph less in good weather and on a clear road.

In a 40 limit near me most people do just over 30, a few years ago the traffic always moved at 40, similarly in a nearby 50 limit.  Soon we won't need 20 limits in parts of towns, a lot of people already drive at that speed.

When I was young it was usually very old people (like me) who drove too slowly, now I think I drive faster than many.

Then there are the people who have no idea of the size of their car and who consequently cross the central white line on slight bends or if the road narrows a fraction. Then they encounter a parked car and can't get round it until there is no traffic within several hundred yards.

David

Edited by DaveF
I put there not their.
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

43 minutes ago, DaveF said:

David

Edited 29 minutes ago by DaveF
I put
there not their.

You put it there? There-there!......but grammar pendants, they're not worried, it's neither here or there, they're clearly keeping quiet, for if they're there, they're probably here and it's only for their collective grammatical pleasure; there! 😇

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

....Theres a period in March when we let it all hang out.

image.png.ef139811fb9344243a5ee516efa3577a.png

I think @chrisf was here for it  when he was down here,  I hope he was because its the happiest time to be here, everyone is just ... happy!  (I'd say that everyone is just... Gay! but that would be misleading!)

There's Progress for you  🏳️‍🌈 & 🏳️‍⚧️ & 💜 🥰

• Like 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Chugger = Charity mugger.

exactly the people you describe 

As has been noted here before, with reference to ERs going for a ‘chug’ on their motorbikes, ‘chug’ has an additional meaning in Scotland. The Scottish meaning of ‘chugger’ would seem quite appropriate in these circumstances.

• Like 7

We are under a meteorological phenomenon which used to be known as a “Pineapple Express”, a strong weather system which tracked here from the Hawaiian Islands. It’s now known by the more general, and appropriate, expression “atmospheric river”. From Friday evening to Sunday evening, we’re expecting up to 5 inches of rain, with 7 inches on the local mountains across from us.

It’s provincial election day today. We used to have to walk (or drive if it was a day like today) about a quarter of a mile to a polling place. Today’s trek was 100 yards to the gate of the local high school, and another 100 yards to the polling place to vote. But it was raining ☹️!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yeah, she (my older sister) deserved it.

When I was very little she'd "trip" over on the floor and pretend to be dead. I'd eventually come across her and apparently be all inconsolable because I believed my sister was dead.

It took me 40 years or so to get my revenge, but I am very patient.

As the Spanish say, revenge is a dish best served cold... 

El Catolico had met northerners before, strong men, brave men. They had taken three moons to die and every minute they had known their pain, pleading with him for their final release. This time, el Catolico promised himself, [Chris' sister/insincere charity CEOs/pushy chuggers/...?] would beg him for such a death... 

How's that for an opening paragraph? 😉

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I watched 'Abandoned Railways From The Air this evening. Very interesting both about the railway and George Hudson. IMHO they glossed over GH's financial misdemeanors a bit especially the fact he was working what we now call a Ponzi scam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

6 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

100% 

Even in the UK one does not find full-time firefighters on a three-watch constant-attendance system where there is not the need.  Many are “retained” which is not the same as volunteer but they might not be called out at all in a year. Or they might be required to tackle huge gorse / grass fires and / or traumatic road events. 

I had an issue with the fact that across Melbourne - Australia’s second city and soon by population to be its first - fire cover was provided to all but the City and inner suburbs by CFA volunteers. In a very fire-prone part of the world and where most homes are built significantly from wood (often “brick veneer” these days which is a single outer skin of bricks on a wooden frame) it felt as though the State Government was happy to allow phenomenal residential growth without funding support services. 

A handful of key stations, of which our nearest at Frankston was one, did operate a three-watch constantly-manned system but still came under the Country Fire Authority not the fully-paid Metropolitan Fire Brigade. Smaller stations - we were also covered if required by Seaford, Langwarrin and Chelsea - were entirely volunteers called out as required. 

I have no issue with the commitment nor the fire-fighting ability of those folk. They equate to the British RNLI in always turning out in the face of danger for no reward. Their performance at some of the major bushfires (remembering I was up-close and personally involved with Black Saturday as a recovery volunteer) was exemplary. A few paid the ultimate price. 

My issue was always that knowing the risks and when allowing development at the rate which allowed (2014 figures) 100 households a week to move into just one area (City of Casey; Cranbourne and its surrounds) plus all the rest there should have been far more fully-paid fire cover funded from Spring Street. Or even Canberra. 

Aussies chose to differ. They preferred the volunteer culture. It’s a different background. 

First time I saw my family after the pestilience and social problems, we camped out in someone's garden shed.  And a most excellent shed it was, too...  But anyway, after Ma and Pa had gone to bed, I stayed up watching an episode of Inspector Morse.  It was Promised Land, one of my favourites.  It has several really good two-line exchanges in it, but pertinent to the above:

"That was very brave of you" (or something similar)

"Nah mate, it's just the Australian way" (or something similar)

regards

cs

• Like 8

5 hours ago, DaveF said:

I went to the Tanfield Railway today, it is their annual "Run it Weekend" when everything that works gets run.  It was very enjoyable, next week there may be some photos in my photo thread, I won't time to sort them out until at least Monday.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

One "highlight" was the standard of driving today.  Some people were driving well, at either the speed limit or the safe speed, signalling, getting in the correct lane and so on.  Most people were not!  I get particularly annoyed when people drive close behind me bullying me to go faster - sorry, it doesn't work with me, I just carry on regardless.  There are also a lot of people, many quite young, who drive very slowly.   I am always surprised when I am travelling at or just below the speed limit to catch someone up who is doing 15-20mph less in good weather and on a clear road.

In a 40 limit near me most people do just over 30, a few years ago the traffic always moved at 40, similarly in a nearby 50 limit.  Soon we won't need 20 limits in parts of towns, a lot of people already drive at that speed.

When I was young it was usually very old people (like me) who drove too slowly, now I think I drive faster than many.

Then there are the people who have no idea of the size of their car and who consequently cross the central white line on slight bends or if the road narrows a fraction. Then they encounter a parked car and can't get round it until there is no traffic within several hundred yards.

David

Sounds like a throughly well-spent mis-spent day!  I haven't been to the Tri-angfield Railway since I was an early teenager (call it 35 years ago) but was planning a truncated bookshelf-railway during the pest-induced lockdown, when I read about their copper-theft which made me very sad.  But, do they still have "the good stuff in the shed", including a couple of Harton electrics?

As for driving, I don't go home often enough.  I don't drive often enough.  But when I do both, I am usually appalled at the rest of this country's race to the bottom, to be as bad at driving as Londoners.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

The Lounge is now squeaky clean 😃 - huge Tick awarded.  Just the rest of Bear Towers to do now.....😒

As for tomorrow, well I'd quite like to get the small storage drawers sanded - the Met Weather website reckons it won't start raining until 11am, yet Alexa reckons it'll be 9am.....

Since I plan to use the leccy Sander I s'pose I ought to wait until 10am before firing it up (Sunday n' all that...) so if the Met is right then I'm ok; however if smartass Alexa has her way then I'm shafted......

ION.....

I ordered four H.D. Castors (600Kg apparently) with brakes from the 'bay earlier - I plan to make a 50cm x 50cm "skate" using a double thickness of 18mm ply (so 36mm thick) to go under a 10(?) drawer storage cabinet in the Sh*d.  Once done I should be able to store a large sheet of OSB used as a door blank for the Conservatory behind the Cabinet whenever I need to remove the door for maintenance etc. (which isn't very often).  That in turn will improve access to a 6ft Storage Rack of "stuff" in the Sh*d....

And finally.....

VVSBT's to all concerned - his wife has M.S. to contend with as well:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-13978969/Olympic-cycling-legend-Sir-Chris-Hoy-reveals-cancer-terminal-says-feels-lucky.html

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

As the Spanish say, revenge is a dish best served cold... 

El Catolico had met northerners before, strong men, brave men. They had taken three moons to die and every minute they had known their pain, pleading with him for their final release. This time, el Catolico promised himself, [Chris' sister/insincere charity CEOs/pushy chuggers/...?] would beg him for such a death... 

How's that for an opening paragraph? 😉

1 - Yes, but what are the ingredients?  TNM has had a few decent recipes and meal ideas thrown into it recently.

2 - We all have at least one book in us.  Not a bad start.  Better than my two efforts so far...

BR/cs ("uno catolico")

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, polybear said:

As for tomorrow, well I'd quite like to get the small storage drawers sanded - the Met Weather website reckons it won't start raining until 11am, yet Alexa reckons it'll be 9am.....

Since I plan to use the leccy Sander 

Bear I’ve just got to ask you, because if I don’t ask you it’ll wake me up in the night…..because I don’t know. 

Your leccy Sander……it’s called Sandy…right? 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Traffic was very light on my way to Warrington, the whole trip took just over 20 minutes. Coming back was a different story, the M60 going over the ship canal, was almost standing still, so I took a detour via Eccles, as I wanted to go to Costco to fill up, £1.26 a litre for lead free petrol! 

I had a good day at the show, but I didn’t spend much, despite being given permission too. I mainly bought books, 6 in total, 2 on the SR, 1 new, 1 2nd hand, 1 on the S&D, 2nd hand, 2 on the CLC, 1 new, 1 2nd hand, and 1 on the ‘Leader Class’ loco, which was 2nd hand. Most of the other items were small, detailing bits and paint, although I did buy an SR dinning coach. It was already reduced from £55 to £45, but then an extra 25% off as well meant it would only be £33.75, well, it would have been rude not to! 

Once home, I scanned through one of my ‘new’ purchases, before heading out to the local Indian takeaway for tonight’s tea, saved having to cook! 

On the subject of food, I never buy pies or cooked meats from supermarkets, I get these from our butcher’s, who makes them on their premises. They are all absolutely delicious! 

When I got home, there was a letter from ‘The Christie’ with a date for my CT scan, Friday 15 November at 18:45, I didn’t know they worked that late, especially on a Friday!

• Friendly/supportive 4

13 hours ago, Grizz said:

They are the Field Marshals and Generals of the organisations, the ‘essential’ highly paid consultants, who see themselves as irreplaceable and with which non of these money making machines can now do without? 

They are highly replaceable - that's the point. If something goes 'wrong' they are fired and someone else from 'industry' gets paid a comparable salary to replace them.

Now many of them don't want to take the fall, and might try to shift blame but they are nonetheless easily replaced - unlike unpaid volunteers.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Yes I know what you mean but from what I know, which is admittedly little due to 3D printing  fumes,  the Waratahs are a suburban fleet while the V-sets are inter-urban. I am invariably offered a Waratah when I catch the train into town  from around here, but I still get the V-Sets if I get a train from work, which is on the Blue Mountains Inter-urban line.

Good news - the V-sets are still in service due to delays in rolling out the Spanish-built replacements due to many many  issues with them. 

In the meantime the V-sets have  had a refresh, the one I caught a few days ago was lovely - not my photo but it was  all like this inside, smelt of fresh paint and leather.

image.png.1225e138cc451443882b927415697fbe.png

The colour has some native bush-tucker name but it was comfortable as and the ride on these things is incredible, Rolls Royce, eat your heart out!

We also seem to have  in the main a lack of a scrote-class compared to the UK to bugg3r them up for everyone else so they tend to remain like this.

The other night I posted something about a Northern Sprinter, and how much more comfortable it was than an LNER Azuma.  But to go back even further... From The Village's Nearest for the local rattler up to The Town, before my connection to The Smoke.  Got a seat.  Very comfy indeed.  Plenty of space, even in rush-hour (actually, that's not good in wider context).  Windows clean (no greenery, either inside or out).   Accelleration and braking very smooth.  Engine noise low.  No excessive squealing even on the KE7 bridge approach.  22 minutes on the timetable, but arrived in 20.  Whether at Heaton or Neville Hill, the people who'd refurbished that Pacer really meant what they were doing!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

In the Western world people have a very narrow idea of Buddhism,

No differently to "Christianity". Plenty of variations where most people have no idea how many different 'sects' there really are. Chalcedonian Schism and the hypostatic union anyone?

I'm tempted to repost the Imo Philips religion joke - but I'll let anyone who wants to search find it.

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We don't expect the government to be able to provide all support so from colonial times we have cultivated a level of self-sufficiency that has grown into the State Emergency Services and the Rural Fire Services. 

I’ve noticed that, compared - certainly - with Europe the British of all social classes and incomes seem to be heavily and incredibly dependent upon the state. And when the state changes and that support disappears, they are totally lost.

This could be why privatisation in the UK has been such a disaster, for even when a service or a system is privatised there is still that expectation (fulfilled in the most part) that if things go pear shaped then that service or system will be bailed out by the government. I also think that the knowledge that the government is there to bail you out has promoted a lot of bad decisions which have impacted unfavourably on the British public. When you are not accountable for your actions and you know that the government will bail you out one way or another , there is no impetus for - to put it one way – “indulge in joined up thinking”.

Surely in most matters the state should set the parameters, vigilate those parameters to ensure adherence, but otherwise let “people get on with it”? Beyond that I would argue the role of the state is to help those who are unable to help themselves, not be a feeding trough for all and sundry.

• Like 1