The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The joints were aching more than usual after the shopping trip so I took an eyelid inspection. Feeling better after that and a muggatee and a couple of mince tarts.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

Norfolk schools start half term 28th, and I think the radar museum closes to the public for the winter a week after that.

Evening Awl,

Radar museum very quiet in the morning, I saw no visitors till 13:00 then it got busy, I was still talking to visitors till 16:59...

So the morning was spent muddling, so I built a bloodhound missile and a type 259 radar in 1/1000 scale..

17292841064461429312085335746499.jpg.03e266767e7011716634e5dd8d38df9c.jpg

This very pair, though a 259 has nowt to do with bloodhound.

As a matter of scale that cube the T259 aerial sits on is a 8 ft square it's very economical in materials is 1/1000 scale.

Then I went to the Chinese and for a change had Chicken satay Thai style, I think the peanuts are still in Thailand, but other than that it tasted good..

MRC went well, wire knitting mostly,though  I gave up early as so much muddling had upset my back.

Still clear skies outside and it's quite chilly, but the weather radar shows soggy on the way here soon.

A heavy bit of farm machinery has just gone past all yellow flashy lights, at 21:56 I suspect he's of home to bed..

I'm already there,

Muggachoccy gone goodnight Awl...

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well I got it, even if nobody else did!

22 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Early night not happening - Blues Brothers on the tellybox.

Surely you meant  Caeruleum fratis non somnambulus

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 6

13 hours ago, Barry O said:

I hope @Erichill16is OK..  he iwas trying to retire soon. I wish him well.

Drink my mugatea!

TTFN

Baz

Thanks for the thought but plans not going particularly well.

Ideally everything should be wrapped up next Friday, in time for the budget and should have been according to my team.

Unfortunately financial institutions are also having reservations and are apparently very risk averse until things become more clear after the budget.

A Mexican standoff is developing.

Some sort of compromise on my part may be needed but I have already bent over backwards (financially) to facilitate other peoples needs.

Very difficult and stressful situation which has certainly let the dark one out of his cage on allowed him to run amok.

When one reads about what’s happening in the world at the minute my problems do seem trivial.

Goodnight All

• Friendly/supportive 18

Good morning from an unbearably warm (it is supposed to hit 30°C today!) and soon to be rainy Tokyo.

Yesterday, in the company of @railsquid I went to the famous electronic store Adobashi camera, where I was incredibly self disciplined and only purchased an MP3 player to the one I have with me which has failed. The MP3 players were stored on the same floor as the TVs and it does seem that, nowadays, big is better. As the photo shows:

IMG_5774.jpeg.e27805d304fdce138be15588faf59e32.jpeg

As you can see you have 97 inch, 100 inch and 115 inch TVs available which use the micro LED system. The most expensive of which comes in at an equivalent of £8000. I really wonder where you would put such a television in a typical Japanese flat or apartment, given that such dwellings are incredibly tiny. 

In regards to charities, I really think that a shake up in how charities are defined, funded and run is long overdue. To be brutally frank, I find it totally obscene that for certain charities up to 80% of a donation goes to “administration”. I would cap the salary of the CEO at £100,000 (which is more than generous enough), I would prohibit “chuggers“ and the like - making it illegal to make money off of donations made to a charity. Of course such changes are unlikely to happen in the UK (or at least happen soon) as a lot of people make a nice comfortable living at the top of the big charity organisational pyramid.

My wife insists on supporting a number of big name charities, but as I am the one who makes payments and disperses funds, I have stopped giving donations to all but or two. Instead, I support some local charities which I know are not over burdened by expensive administration. There are certain large charities which are worthy of support, but ideally – if you can – provide that support in the form of your labour or by buying the charity what they need (So if a charity wants to raise funds for X and you can afford to do so, ask them how many X would they like you to buy for them - I suspect their answer would be very illuminative of how they view the purpose of donations to the charity). 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's ideal strides are 30" rather than 31" long , which of course is "the norm"

I used to be a 30" leg, which was standard, and then manufacturers moved to odd-numbered lengths. Under the force of gravity and ageing I'm now a 29" leg. Sometimes things work for you, sometimes against you. I'll take the win where I find it.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

I used to be a 30" leg, which was standard, and then manufacturers moved to odd-numbered lengths. Under the force of gravity and ageing I'm now a 29" leg. Sometimes things work for you, sometimes against you. I'll take the win where I find it.

Similar experience.  Still coming to terms after >20 years with a well known brand offering trousers of 42"W/25"L, but since then have had a couple of good experiences.  Wherever Austin Reed are now, they did some decent OTP suits in their last few years, but since their demise I've used another firm which uses 0.5" increments, and seems pretty accurate.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Even inseam lengths in Imperial units are still the norm here.

Never even thought about imperial v metric in trouser sizing!

Think I’d better try and get some sleep, thinking of other imperial v metric anomalies may help.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

On charities,  although I still support the RNLI my recommendation is to support local good causes where you can see what they do and whether they actually benefit the cause they claim to or are more about virtue politics and assuaging middle class angst. Some of them are sewers.

And never, never, include a gift of X% of your estate to a charity in your will. Always write it as £Y if you want to leave them something. Charities are notorious for their mercenary approach to chasing bunce left to them in wills.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

As I said, @jjb1970, the whole "charity" industry (and it IS an industry) needs a complete overhaul. I really wonder how many of the highly paid charity "executives" and CEOs would stay if you halved their very generous salaries - damn few, I would say.

The charities to support are those small charities, like a dog sanctuary or a hedgehog hospital, run by one or two people who are devoted to their charges, plough every penny they get into their charities and sometimes go without so the dogs/hedgehogs/etc don't.  They have neither the time, inclination or need to "virtue signal" (how do you "de-colonise" a hedgehog hospital???).

Quite frankly, and I am being very cynical here,  charities - from the Red Cross to the RNLI - would work better and achieve a lot more if they dumped 50% of the paid (hem-hem) "professionals" and turned it over to the volunteers.

Middle/Upper Middle Class Angst, self-loathing and meaningless agenda driven virtue signalling has done much to Bu99er up Britain (and charities)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a supposedly metric country.  Buying trousers here is tricky but C & A still have the Imperial measurements on their men's wear so they get my custom.  On the measurement front I have had to put some new holes in my belt recently, no not larger, smaller. 

Offout to Chef Boutonne in the rain this morning. 

Jamie. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

As I said, @jjb1970, the whole "charity" industry (and it IS an industry) needs a complete overhaul. I really wonder how many of the highly paid charity "executives" and CEOs would stay if you halved their very generous salaries - damn few, I would say.

The charities to support are those small charities, like a dog sanctuary or a hedgehog hospital, run by one or two people who are devoted to their charges, plough every penny they get into their charities and sometimes go without so the dogs/hedgehogs/etc don't.  They have neither the time, inclination or need to "virtue signal" (how do you "de-colonise" a hedgehog hospital???).

Quite frankly, and I am being very cynical here,  charities - from the Red Cross to the RNLI - would work better and achieve a lot more if they dumped 50% of the paid (hem-hem) "professionals" and turned it over to the volunteers.

Middle/Upper Middle Class Angst, self-loathing and meaningless agenda driven virtue signalling has done much to Bu99er up Britain (and charities)

Sorry for being Mr Grumpy-Drawers, but it's too early o'clock, I can't find my specs, and I only have one cigarette left until the shops open.  Which is a PITA as I had planned to have at least eight still in my packet by now.  Anyway, first rant of the day:

To "decolonise" a hedgehog sanctuary should be straightforward.  You do need a comb to get the ticks off them, and should probably wear PPE (approaching a hazmat suit) whilst doing this.  Then you let them run free for a bit (most will not wish to, during daylight) while you remove, burn and replace the bedding inside whatever you're providing as the lodge.  Don't put them in a nice warm bucket full of Vosene - yes it kills the ticks and helps the bites heal, but hedgehogs can't swim and don't like Vosene.  Let them bathe in a shallow washing-up bowl if you're convinced that you can and they actually want to, but be warned that when they open their bowels...

Please, nothing against the RNLI:  The price the volunteers risk paying is more than enough.  No politics about who they rescue or under what circumstances.  They do it and they do it for free.

Otherwise and hopefully lighter, there was once a lass who tried to get me to sign up to "Save the Tigers" outside KX.  Bad jokes aside, I explained that by coincidence, I had been doing some research into the animals, their conservation, and fake-fur rugs, and explained to her my plans for fake tiger-skin rugs in order to raise money for her charity.  That did not go down at all well, but I later found out that some bloke called Corbett had had similar ideas and better about 85 years ago...

For the curious, that was Jim Corbett, not William Cobbett.  But both are "must reads" if you can [find these in print, either in library or bookshop, but am not aware of either authors' work available as e-Books at present].

Have a good day, and a good weekend,

regards

cs

Edited by Chris Snowdon
Original text was insulting to readers.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

@iL Dottore couldn't agree more about overpaid execs in charities. Problem is volunteers can't be "accountable"  but paid staff can ( not my thoughts but used by some charities and companies as a good excuse to increase the salaried staff). Its not good and a majorboverhaul is required.. butbif wecare doing that its time to shake the City of London.. hard. Sood some shares yesterday. FTSE says they are worth "x" the brokers say the "consideration" value is x- a lot... now to my mind thats a bit of a huge hidden charge.. or am I just being a simple engineer here?

off out this morning to help ar a friends layout as our junior club members are off to operate it for a while.. frabjoy!

Enjoy your day if you can!

@Erichill16 I hope it all turns out OK over the next week or so...come and give me ear ache next week at our show if you need someone to shout at.. might be a coffee innit for you!

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Please, nothing against the RNLI:  The price the volunteers risk paying is more than enough.  No politics about who they rescue or under what circumstances.  They do it and they do it for free.

Abso-bloody-lutely! My "beef" is not with the selfless and - often - incredibly brave volunteers, but with the overpaid "professionals" who **** upon the volunteers from a great height (as seems to be the case if a number of newspaper articles are even remotely close to the truth).

In trying to get some background on the RNLI stories I stumbled across this: https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/ I had a look through and there's almost nothing about what the charities actually do

I also came across this and I don't know whether to be amused or appalled.https://cherryflava.com/the-worrying-rise-of-a-culture-of-/amp/

Edited by iL Dottore
If the last link doesn't work, try putting in bullsh1t (uncensored) after culture-of
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

In regards to charities, I really think that a shake up in how charities are defined, funded and run is long overdue. To be brutally frank, I find it totally obscene that for certain charities up to 80% of a donation goes to “administration”. I would cap the salary of the CEO at £100,000 (which is more than generous enough), I would prohibit “chuggers“ and the like - making it illegal to make money off of donations made to a charity. Of course such changes are unlikely to happen in the UK (or at least happen soon) as a lot of people make a nice comfortable living at the top of the big charity organisational pyramid.

As regards the Charity Bear volunteers for, their "Charitable Expenditure" exceeded the "Expenditure - Raising Funds" by £1.5M last year (this is on a Charity raising £8M-ish per year).

As regards re-numeration for The Very Grown Ups, there are three earning between £60.000 - £69.999K p.a. and four earning between £70.000 - £79.999K p.a.; basically Train Driver money really.... (figures from last year's accounts).

As regards paid staff, there is one that I (and all others....) would most definitely describe as "taking money under false pretences" and has no business being there (I've a feeling he may not be for much longer either, unless he SIGNIFICANTLY ups his game).  There are two others that no-one would be too upset about if they left either (they have a habit of "timing" their work in order to try to avoid being given further tasks....🤬) - fortunately they don't work many days each week and one of those is zero-hours contract as well.  I won't work with them - they're nice enough people to talk to but simply have no business being there; I want to crack on and get the job done.

As regards Volunteers are concerned, well I've yet to come across one** that has no business being there; until recently one of our shops had someone working in there (incl. on the till) that is 102.....

**Oh, hang on....there is one.....we suspect he's there because it "looks good" down the DHSS Office; he apparently has "health problems" making getting a job difficult....he seems fit enough to us, however.  T0sser.  Fortunately I rarely come across him.  As an example he was on the rota "to do a day" yet didn't show up; when the Boss phoned him to check he was ok he said "I'm still in bed" - for no reason other than he just couldn't be ar5ed.

There may be several Rants there...possibly....

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On charities,  although I still support the RNLI my recommendation is to support local good causes where you can see what they do and whether they actually benefit the cause they claim to or are more about virtue politics and assuaging middle class angst. Some of them are sewers.

The one I Volunteer for is most definitely a local Charity; there are over 170 employees, however (some part-time, including casual/bank staff) - plus over 500 active Volunteers.

Edited by polybear
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The RNLI on high has in recent years had several disputes with its volunteers, leading to quite a few leaving..

Mooring Awl,

A very poor night's sleep, at first I couldn't get too, then 1.5 hours sleep,  short awake, then about 4 hours sleep....

First tractor of the day just rumbled past.

Dull grey, but other than a light drizzle so far , no major soggy, the radar indicates that's imminent.

So there was a short interruption in typing while I removed muddling equipment from the car to the landrover. Swmbo has her weaving group AGM today.

There goes tractor two, I think they are going to be ploughing in the rain..

Just got told I have to pay for the sailing club annual dinner by bacs.... How? Further emails sent.

Opened the next bottle of Semaglutide, so that makes it 3 months since I started... Won't know if it's doing any good for another couple of months when the next blood tests are due.

Time I think for breaky.

• Like 2