The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning!

Good to see another "Double Pager", I really must get MY computer looked at ....

ION

Best put a sign up in case Herpes do actually decide to deliver my parcel when I'm out on the bike for a thrash shortly.   

TTFN

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Interestingly enough, as we had a shared line of work, that was the subject of a most amusing conversation in our parade room one night shift............I can say no more.....

Rob

Yes, the old black humour and other such ways of trying to keep a modicum of sanity present in the bonce.  An essential part of the job.  However I did have an awful lot of fun. 

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

by bringing  to the rest of the world the truth  that traditional  Japanese cuisine is just made up as a joke on the west  and in fact they eat hamburgers, chips  and ice cream like everyone else.

Indeed they do (now) which is why you now see a few chubby youngsters in Japan. Although nothing on the scale of the "disgusting fatbody" (copyright Sgt Hartmann Full Metal Jacket) so often seen in the West.

But all this living upside down in Oz must've made the blood pool in your head Chimpey,  cos the joke's on you: that was a kiddies' menu - designed to appeal to immature palates with no sophistication - like children and many ER posters.

Anyway, I am surprised to learn that Australians actually have a cuisine, even if it is only chips and hamburger - I thought Australian cooking was basically charcoaling bits of animal, fowl, fish and crustacean on the Barbie 🤣

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

cos the joke's on you: that was a kiddies' menu -

Thanks to the power of Google image translate only the green rectangle with a blue cloud is a kids menu. The blue cloud states “comes with toys”. 

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

People in East Asia are, alas, rapidly catching up with the western world when it comes to obesity. 

When I first visited Japan, China and Korea I looked twice if I saw an overweight person as they were so unusual and stood out. Now it's normal. Things were different in Malaysia and Indonesia where obesity has long been an issue for men, though much less so for women.

As well as dietary changes Asia has also seen the same shift to a much more sedentary lifestyle as people work in offices, industries increasingly rely on mechanised processes etc.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

On hamburgers, hamburg steak has a long heritage in Japan which predates US fast food by decades. Though the Japanese style was to treat it as a steak rather than as a bun filler. Hamburg steak with Japanese curry and rice is delightful. They have the British to thank for curry, British naval officers with Indian cooks attached to the Imperial navy to modernise it popularised curry.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

41 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Thanks to the power of Google image translate only the green rectangle with a blue cloud is a kids menu. The blue cloud states “comes with toys”. 

Nope, wrong. Those are the just the dishes that come with toys.

The whole café is for kids

IMG_5593.jpeg.93f13846219a4d19ead411345b2dd1c5.jpeg

(Out of shot: two toddlers)

They also have two other cafés which cater to adults and families serving traditional Japanese family favourites (like katsudon and rice).

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

They also have two other cafés which cater to adults and families serving traditional Japanese family favourites (like katsudon and rice).

Sorry for mistaking what it said on the museum website which said it is a place for parents to relax while their children are in the play areas. At least you found the burger area. After two weeks on Queen Anne we never found the dedicated burger and fries cafe!  We did on Queen Mary but  it was only open in clement weather and it was often a bit stormy in the North Atlantic. Not sure I would have eaten there though, usually full from the conventional restaurant meals. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I had an enjoyable walk along the Links today instead of the promenade.  The plants are looking very autumnal, the burnet roses in particular have died back a lot as a result of the northerly salt laden winds, as have some other plants.  Doubtless they will all sprout from lower stems next Spring. 

I notice that some dogs no longer bring the balls back when the owner throws them, they just guard them until the owner walks up and throws it again.  It must save the dogs a lot of energy not having to walk back to their owner each time.

I've spent some time tidying files on my PC and hard drives, some stuff has been deleted and my desktop is less cluttered.  I've sorted out how to tackle the rest of the garage sorting and have measured up to make sure things will fit.

I've had several calls which appear to be spam/nuisance on my mobile in the last couple of days.  Fortunately mine now warns me when a call is likely to be spam so I when I get the red screen with the warning I just ignore the call or end it without answering.  I just went to Settings, then set Caller ID and Spam protection to "On".

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 16

6 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes, the old black humour and other such ways of trying to keep a modicum of sanity present in the bonce.  An essential part of the job.  However I did have an awful lot of fun. 

Jamie

Clearly you were in the wrong job Jamie. You shouldn't be having fun. Fun is not permitted unless you have it authorised in triplicate.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

There's a lot of it about at the moment...

I expect that there's a new package of phone numbers doing the rounds.

They've just prosecuted a Manutopea company who'd sent out over a million spam texts. So clearly the competition has stepped in to fill the void.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just had a jolly chat with an incoherent gentleman regarding my BT internet connection, who wanted me to go to his website and download some software to correct a problem that he claimed I should be experiencing...

I got bored after a few minutes. 🤪

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I’ve just had a call from a foreign sounding lady (other terms are available) purportedly from HMRC telling me that I owe them money and if I don’t pay by tonight I’ll be prosecuted and even arrested. The caller was a bit upset when I told her that if she knew of a nearby lake to go and jump in it.

Dave

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

There's a lot of it about at the moment...

I expect that there's a new package of phone numbers doing the rounds.

I used to get those sort of calls quite often but none recently.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3