The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Absolutely fantastic!  Just to do a quick eye-check (an early result of which is why I never wore a certain shade of blue) - those rooves are red, and the trees and lawns are green?  And the pool is a pale blue?

In the brochure picture - yes  they are.  (In real life the roof tiles are more a brown colour...)

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, pH said:

Driving west along an east-west city street, the almost-full, yellow, setting moon was just touching the road surface at the crest of a small rise ahead. It looked like we were driving to the moon.

I got to see a perfectly full* silvery moon rise over clouds on the Cascades, driving home this morning.  I wonder if it is the same one? (The Hunter's moon, and not as orange as "Halloween" moons seem to be.)

* It looked perfectly full but the little circle is on the calendars for tomorrow.  The plural is not mistaken. It is already tomorrow on my Australian calendar.

Rain was forecast today. It was cloudy to start and there was bright sunshine mid-afternoon which I was not led to believe would occur. The local forecasts did a poor job of telling us to go look at the comet at sunset when it was possible. This was possible on the weekend but not since then. The moon is obscured by cloudy haze at present. 

• Like 17

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

However this morning I received a copy of the first letter saying I hadn't chosen the clinic for my examination. In the morning I will try to book the appointment on line as I just got put in a queue when I tried to book by phone.

I'm tempted to respond something along the lines of

It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard.

Or 

It seemed to K. as if at last those people had broken off all relations with him, and as if now in reality he were freer than he had ever been, and at liberty to wait here in this place usually forbidden to him as long as he desired, and had won a freedom such as hardly anybody else had ever succeeded in winning, and as if nobody could dare touch him or drive him away, or even speak to him, but — this conviction was at least equally as strong — as if at the same time there was nothing more senseless, more hopeless, than this freedom, this waiting, this inviolability.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Yellow rain,  I have been told that people will pay good money for a Golden Shower.  I wouldn't. 

Jamie

OMG !.......That's put me off my apple juice.........

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s stopped raining and the skies are looking blue! Sheila is busy getting herself ready for her Zumba class, so as usual, I’ve decamped to the dining room to keep out of the way. Once I’ve dropped her off at the church hall, I’ll come back home make use of the dry weather and set up my mobile work bench and make a start sanding the legs and frame pieces for the layout storage yard. I’ll then take all the sanded bits back to the cellar, ready for assembly, but assembling probably won’t start today. Once that task is done, I’ll carry on with the metal dowels, cleaning and cutting another 15 rods should be enough, leaving me with a few spares left over. 

• Like 16

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Back at the Railway Museum in Saitama. Always considerate of the needs of fellow ERs, I searched for some ER friendly menus and found this:

IMG_5595.jpeg.5f51762ddb5745e0b0520d8317348bf7.jpeg

Although brilliant  Australian investigative journalism revealed it to us down here back in the 90's, you are still performing a valuable whistleblowing service by bringing  to the rest of the world the truth  that traditional  Japanese cuisine is just made up as a joke on the west  and in fact they eat hamburgers, chips  and ice cream like everyone else.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

The sun is shining, there are only a few small clouds about and it is mild - 12°C and should reach 16°C later on.

The old tea towels need to be sorted and the very worn ones replacing with new, there will be a trip to church and possibly to the beach afterwards.

I am sure I will find lots of other things to do to fill the day.

David

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

At least I didn't mention certain other 'sports' that we once had a lecture about at work. 

Jamie

Interestingly enough, as we had a shared line of work, that was the subject of a most amusing conversation in our parade room one night shift............I can say no more.....

Rob

• Like 12
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Interestingly enough, as we had a shared line of work, that was the subject of a most amusing conversation in our parade room one night shift............I can say no more.....

Rob

Aargh you mean if I told you, I'd have to kill you routine.

• Funny 11

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a rock wot is dry and rather cloudy, with better promised, 12C so not so bad.

I was awoken by a crash this morning as Mrs NHN managed to get a mug to jump off a cupboard shelf where it has lain undisturbed for some days, and send it to its splintering death on the floor.  My fault, of course although I was abed at the time.  I also got clean it all up as she buqqered off to work!

My old NHS department was sending out close to a thousand appointment letters a week, I don't recall us ever having the sort of errors that folk are reporting now.  Maybe one error a month, tops. No, less.  It's not that hard really, I do wonder just how it all goes so wrong.  Most of our issues were with worky-ticket patients demanding appointments early so they could go on holiday at the required time.  Never later, you note, always earlier.....

...oh yeah, Podiatry.  And mostly the fair sex requiring attention before holiday in sunnier climes. Odd, that. Humph.

As you and I both found out the hard way I'm afraid, good work is never rewarded and bad work is never corrected. 

There are too many plebs only to happy to see 'success' pulled down and there own mediocre- other words are available, efforts ignored.

Me bitter and twisted? Yes most certainly even after all this time.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

One feature from its time as a hotel was a "Road Bar" - a place where drivers could pull in for a few drinks before tackling either the windy narrow highway up into the Blue Mountains, or the steep descent down to the plains!

image.png.323492b3ce6301efa7aa33a3124c931e.png

I wonder how many crashes that caused.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Aargh you mean if I told you, I'd have to kill you routine.

No. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Up a bit earlier as its BIN day and they have to be out by 07:30. I couldn't do them last night as it was pouring with rain. As usual they will most likely not be collected until lunchtime. Not a lot to do today, it's still too wet for the G word so I might do a bit of muddling.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7