The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Mornin'

A yellow rain warning is currently bucketing down on the other side of the window. I think I'll stay indoors today!

I asked Aditi if she had her umbrella as she didn’t t seem to be wearing a rain proof jacket for her day out in London. “It will not rain today”, she  replied. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

19 minutes ago, TheQ said:

1000 Yen is £5.20, if I've got the sum right, which seems reasonable though plate size is difficult to ascertain from the photo.

There are quite a few parish boundaries that were set by a river  or stream plus iirc the Scottish - English border on the Carlisle side of the UK, that no longer match the current river position...

Mooring Awl,

2 hours sleep, then woken by the fairy, due to having had a pint fairly late on at the quarterly meeting..

Then about 5 hours sleep, with just a few wake up and turn overs. Final wake up by a coughing session and feeling very hot..

The wet road outside is covered in mud again, as tractors with trailers are thundering up and down. I note one field that faces the house, has been surrounded by an electric fence, so sheepies are expected soon.

They are playing top gun out there again...

I have computering to do again as yet again I went to to the next page to find out they needed more info not listed on the start page..., you can't proceed to each next page without having filled in the previous completely.

Then those wooden sticks need painting where I was previously holding.

If it's dry enough an egg box needs assembling outside on the concrete patio. I don't want glue on the mobile home floor.

Time to finish breaky.

You should be alright as the seaweed twirlers are predicting death,doom and whatever for greater Manutopea. Currently is very dark sand the odd spot of the wet stuff. Sometimes I do think they cry wolf a bit to much but we will see.

Whatever happens the Boss won't be happy  as I will be insisting upon her wearing her waterproofs for her estate inspection.

• Friendly/supportive 9

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I asked Aditi if she had her umbrella as she didn’t t seem to be wearing a rain proof jacket for her day out in London. “It will not rain today”, she  replied. 

Perhaps she could put in a bid to replace the current lot at the BBC.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Whatever happens the Boss won't be happy  as I will be insisting upon her wearing her waterproofs for her estate inspection.

That is because you are denying her the opportunity to,show how much she adores you by shaking water all over you to dry herself. A very soggy Robbie always stood right next to me when he shook himself dry, especially after hosing mud off in the back garden. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Perhaps she could put in a bid to replace the current lot at the BBC.

She is so short she could only forecast as far north as Luton…

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday "they" (the Met Office) sad it would be dry and overcast today, after overnight rain.  They have now decided to change that to light rain until sometime this afternoon.  I don't think I'll go far today as there is nothing I need.  If it dries up this afternoon I might have a walk.

Until then there are some new tea towels being washed before they are used, once they are dry they need ironing and some old ones throwing out.

Then are a few photos to sort out, a final check to do on the talk, and perhaps some hobby time.

At teatime I decided not to watch any TV last night, somehow that became an episode of the Sweeney, a cab ride in Switzerland followed by Captain Cook and seine swingenden Saxophone and lastly Max Raabe und seine Palast Orchester (they play 20s and 30s music in both English and German).

David

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

This is organised by an arts group she is is a member of. There seem to be quite a few of the people who are in her French group in the art group. Perhaps all the societies in Southend have the same members?

Are both groups part of a local u3a? That would explain the common membership.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

She is so short she could only forecast as far north as Luton…

Her secret is that if she stands amid a group of taller people and if it rains they catch it all and it never reaches her.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

While I was putting the tea towels on to wash earler I saw this bird on the bird bath.  I got a quick photo of it but it flew away before I could take something better.

Does anyone recognise it?

sIMG_0149mygarden.jpg.26e6f30f3049cf864418b936d1608485.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

While I was putting the tea towels on to wash earler I saw this bird on the bird bath.  I got a quick photo of it but it flew away before I could take something better.

David

Looks like a young sparrow. Due to the global warming many birds now fledge twice in a year. I do hope it survives the coming winter.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, DaveF said:

David

My best guess, going from the makings, would be a wren, the beak is far too thin for it to be a sparrow. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bit late on parade, due to having to re-arrange a blood test and then assisting Sheila in making another order for some scented candles. I’m now off to the workshop to make an amendment to the helix jig. I was showing Ava how it worked the other day and when I pushed the 2 pieces together, the wooden dowels both broke. So my plan is to add a central drill guide so I can fit a steel dowel in the centre and use the 2 outer dowels just as guides. I have a fair amount of steel rod, but not enough to replace the wooden dowels altogether. 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Chris Snowdon said:

Sorry all, he's got something there.  It bothered my head as well.

But as some sort of therapy to recover from this appalling trauma, am wondering whether to try to recreate it with tinned hot-dogs and finger-rolls from the supermarket (I am a poor man and money is tight) with some sort of pseudo-Mediterranean red sauce on the "wrist" end.

And for those of us with dogs...

tranquilitytoy.jpg.caf58cddf1930cee3d63ee44318c2d5a.jpg

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

My best guess, going from the makings, would be a wren, the beak is far too thin for it to be a sparrow. 

I was going to say birdbath but that would have been silly. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

Are both groups part of a local u3a? That would explain the common membership.

Some of the members of the French Circle and The Art and Design Society are active members of various U3A groups. They probably attract the same people. Aditi isn’t in any U3A groups. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

As surmised by @BSW01 it’s definitely a wren, David.

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BSW01 said:

18 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

As surmised by @BSW01 it’s definitely a wren, David.

Thanks for these answers.

I thought wren when I first saw it, but it isn't the wren which lives in my garden which is a much greyer brown version.  This is quite a warm brown but it is the right size and shape.

Presumably it is a visitor.   I shall keep my eyes open to see if it returns.

David