The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

15 hours ago, pH said:

Could they not drive a pipe under the line?

A few years ago, a sewer pipe was driven under a freeway here - six lanes, two shoulders and a fairly broad central reservation - without disrupting traffic at all.

That is what they hoped they could do. Network rail said no.

And no doubt for good reasons; I only hear it from my parents, who it heard from so and so down the road...and so on. But it is clear that they were not allowed for what ever reason. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

For the ER Gastrognomes:

IMG_5423.jpeg.06c024227416814edc820c22dd6f3127.jpeg

It's got something for everyone I reckon

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

My Precious

Deary me......

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

My second thought. My first was that it reminds me of sewage outfall pipes. 

My first thought was outfall pipes. I remember films about what used to flow into the River Tame. Apparently birds and fish live on and in the river now but at one time it was toxic sludge from industrial waste. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

25 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

… at one time it was toxic smudge from industrial waste. 

A blot on the landscape?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

For the ER Gastrognomes

“Gastrognome”

- (a) A small creature who enjoys eating good food or (b) one who enjoys eating good food but has an unusually small stomach

”Gastronome” 

- One who enjoys fine food, knows what they are talking about and knows when they are being offered less than Michelin *** grub 

😝

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A pleasant and uneventful day, so far at least.  After dealing with some emails I had a walk along the road and round the big field in the middle of the houses and then a different way back.  It took longer than I expected as everyone wanted to stop and chat and each dog wanted to be made a fuss of.  I notice that one house owner has painted all his fences pale blue.  It sticks out like a sore thumb as all the others are natural weathered grey or brown.  I am glad it is not near me.

Then I did the very boring ironing and decided that it was time to buy a new ironing board before it fell to pieces.  That was duly done after lunch for a bit less money than I expected, hardly worth mentioning in terms of Deltics.  Some friends sent me a photo of some work they are having done on their garden and asked for suggestions for plants in a new bed - a quite large one.  Their "garden" is a bit over 2 acres, but they use part of it as a caravan site for tourers.  Like me they live near the sea but in Lincolnshire so they were really wondering if I had any ideas for plants they haven't tried before which will cope with salt laden winds.

I also did a bit of garden tidying and have removed some Crocosmia which were trying to take over, they are quite aggresive.

While I was out buying the ironing board I went for a walk along the river, it was about high tide so the waders were elsewehere but there were quite a lot of ducks and gulls swimming around.  There is now a notice for bait collectors asking them only to take mussels larger than 45mm and not to take them every day.  I just hope no one is trying to take them to eat, not a good idea in the estuary.  It looks as though a wild area next to the industrial estate will soon be built on as a fence is going up.

David

• Like 9

Chewsday...

Yesterday, work then more sorting of the workbench area in the basement. That pretty much covers the day <yawn>

Late evening visitor, we'd not seen him for a while and were worried something might have happened to him, thankfully, seems he's still with us...

20241014_213710-deer.jpg.7e54d11ca8d6774732199dcd15a2019d.jpg

Later today Jemma drops off Whitney as she, Brendan and some friends are headed to Austin for the F1 Grand Prix.

Weather quite autumnal now, 1c and sunny first thing, expecting a high of only 12c.

Carry on.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

My Precious

That is exactly what came to my mind.

Perhaps because I have just re-read LOTR.  Something I do every ten to fifteen years or so and I still enjoy it as much as I did the first time.  Possibly the literary equivalent of Marmite?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Done some shopping this afternoon,  found in the reduced to clear a vanilla cheesecake and a Costa Mollica pizza. But dinner tonight will be bangers and mash but I've started on the cheesecake and the pizza will be lunch tomorrow. 

• Like 3