The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Gordon,

Just been experimenting with building trackwork, no layout at present. It will be a interchange between the BNSF and a Shortline based on a prototype between the NS and Black River & Western at Three Bridges, NJ. It's Googleable. Santa Fe because I have stock.......modern as in current.

One of the best photo-descriptions of trackwork building I've seen was by John Wright building in P.87 but I cannot find a link to his site. He is English and a pal of Jim Smith-Wright, if I remember correctly. He has an interesting way building curved diamonds.

Btw Andy Reichart's site can be confusing but he is leading the pack over here with Finescale and P87 and he replies to queries very fast.

Best, Pete.

Pete, http://www.xclent.fr.../p87/fedst1.htm , perhaps?

I had the great pleasure of meeting John (and his son, David, a great miniature wargaming painter) when I was helping (?) Jon Grant with Sweethome Alabama at Newcastle where John is one of his running crew. A great banjo picker and a Gentleman

Edited by shortliner

Yes, that is the guy!

The link (I think its that one) that shows him building a complex set of trackwork including multiple curved diamonds seems to be disfunctiuonal.........amazing layout, though, but. Gordon should check out that operating double-slip, however

Pickers, unite.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Morning All,

The snow has more or less gone now. It turned to rain (as predicted) in late afternoon and the temperature rose.

It is my last day at work today, but first I have got a meeting with Thomas' teacher to check on his progress. It is his last day of term too!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Haven't been outside yet, but I expect it to be wet, what with the snow melting away. It sure is good to be having a break, though! Thankfully, I got my Christmas shopping done, so I can hopefully avoid the frenzy for what I may yet think of as an extra.

Cheers everyone...

Morning all,

Up early as I have to head up towards London for meeting at H.O then a treck around the M25 to go and see my Mum. Will stay there tonight before heading home cross country tomorrow.

Looks just damp outside.

Enjoy your day

Trev

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is quite mild here and isn't raining at the moment but is forecast to do so later.

I expect the main task today is getting ready for visitors and also putting up the Christmas tree.

Tony

Morning all. Damp here. Started raining about 7.30 last night and looks like it hasn't stopped in the last 12 hours.

Last full day of work today as tomorrow's the Christmas lunch and Friday will be a reduced hours service from me!

Went for a gentle jog with a friend last night after work, only did 4.5k. We're both running in the Edinburgh Winter Run (5k) on 7th January, and this was her first outside run - she's only been running on the treadmill up to now. Climbing tonight, which will no doubt leave me exhausted, but in a good way! :sungum: Tony, enjoy getting the tree up. My parents have had their trees up since November...

• RMweb Gold

I usually decorate the tree in the middle of December (though I'm sure when I was a child it went up very close to Christmas Eve). I delayed this year as we were expecting furniture to be delivered. I can guarantee being able to wind Aditi up by referring to the fairy on top of the tree.She insists that it is a Florentine Angel (whatever that may be).

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, a quiet interlude before I go wake sleeping beauty and the prince and princesses. Weather is mild again and the temperature should be in double figures soon without the lazy wind of yesterday. First day of my holiday Mrs B has been discharged from hospital with no sign of any further damage to her bones and the agreement with the solicitor should go to court and be accepted tomorrow. I hope this is going to be a happier Christmas!

• RMweb Gold

Morning all!

Hope we are all well this morning.

Both my parents have just left for hospital today. For entirely different reasons I must admit!

My dad is going in to have his finger checked up on after his accident last week, and mum is going have here second shoulder operation today.

So not really sure what I'm going to be up to today, yesterday I went to my local model shop to get a few lengths of track and a couple points. Got 7 lengths of Peco code 100 and a couple right handed curved points. It's certainly going to be an expensive layout, but boy it'll be worth it! I haven't even started building the shed let alone the baseboards. I think Dad mentioned we'll be getting the wood after Christmas when his finger has healed. Can't wait to see a scale length train running around gentle curves on the layout whilst a branch train arrives under the train shed roof... lovely.

Perhaps I'll just have a bit of a fiddle with the trackplan just to make sure it is both feasible and interesting to operate.

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Unseasonably balmy here today, with the outside temperature running about 9oC but with quite a lot of rain as well. Met office are now in agreement with others on here who think it will be a dreich Christmas day - but I think I'd prefer that to the more romantic idea of a white one given our local authority's propensity to be very sparing with the road grit!

Very quiet now at work, and for two pins I'd take the rest of the day off and go home, but there's no leave available.

I see there's no news of Don - so let's hope all is going well for him.

Mick - good to see a bit of better news there - long may it continue.

Jam - hope the hospital appointments go well for your folks.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all.

We have had some weather (mainly mild) over the past few days.

Lots of RMweb fun on Facebook where Andy Y now has more friends than recent lottery winners.

I do hope everyone had a good Christmas. All our relatives have arrived and departed. I'm the only one scarred (literally) by the holiday.

I've been shopping with Matthew today, he now has a bass guitar, the neighbours on one side have just acquired a piano for their 7 year old and are very sympathetic to music. The other neighbours also appreciate music but are also both a bit deaf which may prove to be an advantage for them.

Best wishes

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Which bass, Tony?

I hope Don is alright. I promised to contact him on Xmas Day 'cos he was by himself........

Best, Pete.

I was thinking about Don as well. I'm not sure if he knew about the Twitter link before the link appeared on the rmweb page.

Matthew and I went to Southend to PMT (a big music shop). Matthew's hands were looked at and it was noted that although he isn't small his hands are. This ended up with the suggestion of an Ibanez GSR bass. The neck is narrow and seemed comfortable for him. I know he will practice. I think I may have offered to pay for lessons in Leicester but I suspect that does depend on his workload this term. Leicester has three terms for accommodation purposes but semesters for academic things.

I'm certain the chap in the shop had read your PM to me about left handed guitars, almost word for word advice!